The Dumfries Death Trap!

wagon_1.0

a day of messing about with drills n stuff...

stage 1 - 50x50 box - mitered into a few sizes (30 degree cut and also 45 degree cut) depending on position. I'm going to use the longer ones at the front where i have removed more steel underneath to save double weight.... or something...

stage 2 - box linished to a nice profile then drilled 10.5.

stage 3 - 25mm bar, cut to 44-45mm length, linished to size, then drilled to 10.5
1zmhlWY.jpg

m10 10.9 bolts to finish.
HGDMxyv.jpg

Mounts with next stage - bracing for subframe and engine end - 5mm plate, welded onto the end of 32mm tube, again 10.5 hole for bolts.

mB3vGqo.jpg

Subframe progressing. bracing next
oI56xi1.jpg

T45 for the new rear end :)

waLIvsc.jpg

wagon_1.0

No going back now!! rear end has been detached :D

QCkHHE6.jpg

Spent a while messing about notching the tubes... exact length TBC
tvIICdV.jpg

Think this time i'm going add bracing. never really liked how it was originally, in my structural engineering mind... will I hit the tyres though....?
ddD5FwM.jpg

Also need to consider the seat belt brace too. Air box might be in the way

Trial position
xMTPMnK.jpg

Mor T45.... Going to make a kind of triangulated tube thing to hold in the motor
nVLCBhM.jpg

More soon :)

wagon_1.0

still attempting to push on diff-less

webs added to complete the extension piece
onSUxzu.jpg

much time spirit leveling
vE5A6wO.jpg

and my general engine mounting plan
X7ARkah.jpg

wagon_1.0

This weekend I mocked up my diff cradle from a drawing supplied by the Westgarage.

IvGkonK.jpg

Its maybe a little too tall, but i'm thinking it'll just about work if its "upsidedown" at a jaunty angle. It cant really be much smaller (required cog size to get a half reasonable gearing), and then it gets complicated with angles of drive shafts.

GEtBh40.jpg

xFmC8Ql.jpg

Need to strengthen the subframe back up before I can continue.... uuugh more ££££ :D

wagon_1.0

Nothing much to report, been a bit under the weather and a bit skint lol!

However my fuel tank I ordered some time ago arrived

OQdBaHx.jpg

7o7TCgg.jpg

Which I am almost pleased with - seems to have been a little measurement error somewhere..... sigh.

I intend on welding in the R1 sender unit, which will give me my low fuel light, baffle, and pump.

And on the top is a manual level gauge :)

wagon_1.0

Thank you :)

Bit more progress not involving spending :D

First up - sump for the pump...

S5GX5dM.jpg

GL90DQ0.jpg

T6HrcdU.jpg

Bastard bit of alloy took some cutting. I was going to get it cnc'd but then i went at it one afternoon, and stupidly wouldn't let it defeat me!!!

Next - something that has always upset me - the pedal box.
You can see in this old pic, the clutch pedal was almost in the passenger foot well when I bought it - made for a nasty driving position, but it was a job i thought i'd leave post IVA.
lgvyTzn.jpg

you might notice it's had a hard life :D
ceGgc0q.jpg

lsg3rZq.jpg

Even being moved over 30mm to the right (lol look how squint the throttle pedal is too) the spacing was still crap.

cxcWYkb.jpg

Everything wonkily welded :(:(
PPxhUiB.jpg

So some cutting, grinding, drilling later, the pedal was now secured in its new position on the pivot
4nmCoQL.jpg

and at 90degrees!

Need to de tigerseal the rubbers and fix the throttle and we should be all level :cool:
198QHnm.jpg

wagon_1.0

Feel i should put some pics up of something at least.....
S4S5k7y.jpg

dqtNccJ.jpg

gYsj4Pa.jpg

There - 22kg lost! I am going to replace this with aluminium, which i intend to run all the way back under the engine as one piece :)

Like this,
o6MH302.jpg

Everything is holey and had the shit drilled out of it, so I'm replacing a lot of it, like the center console :)

Just need my T45 to arrive.... been 4 weeks on order !

wagon_1.0

9oiHxLj.jpg

ijzLkSH.jpg

Made it outside last couple of nights :)

New centre "console" knocked up for the hand brake and gear shifter. Next job is new seat mounts :)

wagon_1.0

Hehe....

Had a look at this little problem last night... I'm no one to criticise anyone's welding, so I won't

MtQWxz2.jpg

8XblKWb.jpg

I've done a Danny and cut it all out for a start :)

wagon_1.0

Standard MIGin when the bottle has run out? :D

I'm going through TIG learning so I'll be careful what I comment about other peoples welds!

So far I have found it slow, boring and impractical.... I keep thinking, the MIG would be done ages ago!

Danny

Administrator
wagon_1.0":dr5jcutn said:
Standard MIGin when the bottle has run out? :D

I'm going through TIG learning so I'll be careful what I comment about other peoples welds!

So far I have found it slow, boring and impractical.... I keep thinking, the MIG would be done ages ago!

Oh I see...

I thought that suspension was tampered with before you did :D

I love tig welding :D