The Turd v2.1

owelly

I may as well post up my project so far. I'm willing to take criticism, helpful pointers and relentless pisstaking.
Back story:
I have a few Magenta kit cars and Turd v1.2.2 has been my regular trackday bus until the clutch let go.

I'm planning a rebuild and upgrade which may take some time (which I don't have much of) and cash (which I have none of) so as a stop-gap, I got hold of this:

It came with a fat folder full of paperwork but no V5 due to the builder getting the buggy through the SVA but missing the deadline for registering it before the IVA was introduced.
It came just as pictured with no engine. I have a MG Metro engine I was going to drop in but for trackday use, 1275cc of 1960's technology was never going to be a long term solution so I decided to go down the K-series route.
I got hold of a 'good' 118bhp engine, gearbox and subframe.
I'll let the pictures explain how good the engine was....

owelly

So without any other engine available at short notice (as I type this, I have a trackday booked and only two days left to finish the buggy!) I've chucked a head gasket, timing belt kit and water pump at the K-series and stuffed it up the arse of the buggy...

And of course, the biggest headache for a bloke who is colourblind......the MGF wiring loom and security system!

I think this is all I need from the body loom....

I still need to make and fit the coolant radiator, fuel tank and HP fuel pump/filter. And it could also do with brakes, gear stick, seats, belts, etc...and I still need to sort out the Hydragas.

Lilspeed

Love it!! O0

A mate of mine always says there's no better way of getting a car project finished off than entering it in an event!
Best of luck with it, and keep us posted!

Looks like you got your money's worth and some out of that clutch BTW!! :D

Phaeton

Staff member
Be interesting to see what you think of it as a track car, I thought about doing Cadwell or Blyton in mine but not sure that it will handle well enough for serious fun & with such short wheelbase that you may end up facing the wrong way a few times, on saying that I managed to lose the Saxo at about 80 when the back decided it wanted to be the front.

Phaeton

Staff member
owelly":hv5mf9tg said:
Pop along to Blyton on Friday and you can see how mine works out...if it get finished.
Let me know Thursday if you're taking it, need to get mine MOT'd this week if I get chance, might be able to get there lateish afternoon

owelly

I'll let you know. Although it looks like the hydragas may be the stumbling block as I have no fittings and no way to pressurise them....

Danny

Administrator
I used a TF subframe for the springs... but phaeton made up a contraption I think to gas up the shocks :D

Phaeton

Staff member
owelly":a7kreg6b said:
I'll let you know. Although it looks like the hydragas may be the stumbling block as I have no fittings and no way to pressurise them....
Can't seem to find any images of what I actually did in the end, I tried to make some adaptors

http://www.muddybuggies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1457&start=60#p16806

But that didn't work so in the end I just cut them & welded them up something along the line of

http://www.muddybuggies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1457&start=60#p16806

Then used

http://www.muddybuggies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1456&start=15#p16829

To pump it back up, you're welcome to borrow if you want a trip to Worksop & back before Friday?

owelly

Well, against all the odds, I got the buggy thrown together and I'm now at Blyton Park. A quiet test drive last night revealed terrible instability at anything over walking pace and the caster angle looked back to front with the upper ball joint way out in front of the lower one. We stripped out the front and swapped left to right and that seems to have put things in a better place but the bump steer is an issue! And it looks like the rear callipers are not working or the fronts are working too well as the pedal feels very wooden, then the fronts lock up. I need to find some string and set the tracking then try to free up the rear brakes so if anyone has a spare pair of MGF callipers hanging about and you're near Gainsborough, shout up! I had to relent with the hydragas and lob some coilovers at it.

Danny

Administrator
I set up my buggy...

there is a thread on it here... but i had positive camber in the front and big negative in the rear...

owelly

Swapping the top arms over cured the instability so made it drivable in a straight line.....however, it screwed-up the Ackerman and introduced horrific bump-steer!! So much bump steer that it was impossible to negotiate corners fast. As you booted it on the straights, the wheels toed-out. On the brakes, the front dipped, and the wheels toed-in. On the corners, the outside wheel over-steered, which cause more suspension droop, which increased the over-steer...repeat to spin-off into the scenery.
A rear wheel bearing failed but we managed to find one at a motor factors up the road in Gainsborough and we eventually found a workshop who had a press and would swap the bearings into the hub.
All in all, a good day. I know what needs to be done and I know he buggy doesn't need any more power.....yet.

Phaeton

Staff member
Shame I got a call to go to Rotherham as I was intending to come over, but good work done there

Phaeton

Staff member
LOL last time we were there I had the exact same thing happen to me at that corner (first video) expect the other way around, I was chasing the MX5 that span out in front of me & had it facing the other way bonnet to bonnet.

Although now hving watched all 3 vieos & the fact you spun out at the same corner maybe it's not the buggy's fault ;D ;D ;D ;D

owelly

Having viewed all of the video footage, it's confirmed that the car is suffering from chronic bump-steer! You can see on the long left-handers, all the 'drivers' are feeding in opposite lock to counteract the outside wheel that's over-steering. That corner caught everyone out because it's a fast 90 and trying to catch such a short vehicle whilst not over-correcting is very tricky!!