The Turd v2.1

Lilspeed

Brilliant effort to get it done in time! Looks like you had a laugh anyway!! :D

They can be made to corner well, but as you've already noticed the short wheelbase means that words like "predictable" and "progressive" don't often apply when driving a Freestyle at speed!! ;D

owelly

I'm sure the front can be made to work without too much effort. I'll make a pair of bottom wishbones and et it up as I would a normal track car and see how the mop flops. The K-series has enough power for now but I made sure there's enough room for a turbo should it need a bit more poke...
I was running sticky track tyres on the front but had to revert to some crusty old Teflon Ditchfinders on the rear. I was thinking that as the front was so light, I'd need to make sure the pointy end went where it was pointed. As it happened, they were too sticky.

Lilspeed

owelly":3ur1dgu0 said:
I was thinking that as the front was so light, I'd need to make sure the pointy end went where it was pointed.

Quite surprising how much front end grip is available considering the weight balance. I found that using positive camber on the front gave a less agressive turn in and stopped the back end flailing around.

Results of my handling "experiments" here;

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2702

Danny

Administrator
Lilspeed":98pkwtrk said:
words like "predictable" and "progressive" don't often apply when driving a Freestyle at speed!! ;D

I have strong evidence of this :-\

Danny

Administrator
my turning circle is terrible and last year in wales Phaeton and simon laughed as some junctions the only option was for me to light up the rears to get round (my excuse and sticking to it)

but still I bought 4 wheel laser wheel alignment gear and always tinkering :D

owelly

I've already had a read through Lilspeeds post and before I start playing with camber, I need to sort out the castor and keep Mr Ackerman happy!

Lilspeed

owelly":12upupqh said:
I've already had a read through Lilspeeds post and before I start playing with camber, I need to sort out the castor and keep Mr Ackerman happy!

Excellent, sounds like you're equipped to go a bit deeper into it than me! :)

Keep us posted!

Phaeton

Staff member
Also don't forget tyre pressures, they play a big part, I run 12psi front 18psi rear, that may change if you're using stiff walled track tyres, but if you have too much pressure in the front that will also encourage understeer.

owelly

15psi hot in the fronts and 18 in the rears.
Having had a bit of a twiddle and a measure, I don't think I'm too far away with the geometry! I think the main problem was the very sticky front tyres and white rears.
The rears are toe-out slightly and the coilovers at that end are very stiff. I'm going to get some fittings for the hydragas and take the coilovers off and set a bit of toe-in. I'll do a full set of readings on the front throughout the travel and see what occurs.

Danny

Administrator
owelly":fc4tlevs said:
15psi hot in the fronts and 18 in the rears.
Having had a bit of a twiddle and a measure, I don't think I'm too far away with the geometry! I think the main problem was the very sticky front tyres and white rears.
The rears are toe-out slightly and the coilovers at that end are very stiff. I'm going to get some fittings for the hydragas and take the coilovers off and set a bit of toe-in. I'll do a full set of readings on the front throughout the travel and see what occurs.

I am using a TF rear subframe with springs and that is pretty good

owelly

With another trackday looming, I decided to have another look at the buggy. I drove it off the trailer after the last event and left it there.....
The main issue is the steering geometry so this morning I took the front dampers and springs off to see why the bump steer was so nutty. It's more nutty than squirrel poo.... Throughout the suspension travel, the top arm rotates enough to move the top ballpoint over 20mm!!! So as the suspension dips, the top of the hub moves inward which pulls on more steering lock. The only way I can see to rectify this without a complete redesign is to make the suspension stiffer and set the top arm as level as possible....which puts the bottom arm at a jaunty angle. Time to find some proper coilovers and see what springs I have kicking about in the shed.

In other news....: I found a matching set of medium compound cut slicks in my shed. Old but better than the old hoops of coal I had on the rears at the last outing. Now the front hubs have been drilled to match the MGF PCD I can have matching rims too!!

owelly

It suddenly occurred to me that the angle of the top damper bracket was all wrong! The whole Jonny is reverse-progressive!! At rest, with only the weight of the car on the suspension, the damper is at right angles to the bracket which is welded to the top suspension arm. As soon as the arm starts to rotate, the damping and spring reduces in effectiveness. I need to drop the inboard mountings to under the original mounts.

owelly

Faffing about with the front suspension certainly helped at the recent trackday! I binned the daft 'damper-through-spring' setup in favour of a pair of proper coilovers and mounted the inner ends in a more geo-friendly place. The bracketry I crafted was adjustable to enable me to do some mods in the paddock. I reverted the rear end to hydragas and took along my £5 Chinese pump to make adjustments at that end.
The first three low-speed sighting laps showed silly bump-steer again so I raised the front to put the top suspension arm in a better place so the travel didn't move the top of the hub inwards. It made a massive difference and the buggy was now drivable! I left the rear as it was but it could've done with being lifted a bit too as it also tended to oversteer under compression.
Here's a little vid:
https://youtu.be/duKfbqOqaLI

Danny

Administrator
I have been tweaking my settings and I have 2 dsegrees neg on each rear and anout half a degree of positive on the fronts of mine and that has made it handle sooooo much better :D

I am putting coilovers on mine next year :D

Mini Mad Max

Good to hear that you've had some success in reducing bump steer. I'm interested in seeing the mods you've done - any pictures? :)

Danny

Administrator
That did not look too bad to be honest... what wheel alignment settings are you using?

I spent last year dicking about with mine and am pretty confident that I am about right with it... positive camber on the front and negative on the rear :D

250buggys

Great vid thanks for sharing, shame it's not road legal you could have some awesome fun on those back lanes...