Welder Help

vexedben

Hi Guys,

I am currently on my way with my Blitz 2 build, and have almost got the the refurbing work done on all the parts i need. I was just wondering, i am going to have to fabricate some parts and weld them to the chassis such as light mounts, bumpers etc, what would be the best welder to go for as a novice welder?

Cheers

Ben

Steves2580

Hi Ben,

There are only two types of welder to choose from, either a MIG or an Arc!

In my opinion a mig would be better for you.
The amps or power depends on material thickness to be welded.
Be prepared to pay for quality and power, a decent welding set will set you back about £400 - £500.
Buy bigger than you need as you can turn them down, if you buy an under powered machine you can't turn it up!

Fire any welder questions at me!
I've only been welding 23yrs and teaching it for 9yrs!

Steve ;D

ChaosMS

and hes very very very very very very very very very good at it.........

Now where's my cheque Steve mate LOL ::)

Phaeton

Staff member
Apart from don't or get somebody else to do it what's the best way to weld a used petrol tank?

Alan...

Baloo

Phaeton":1s5bs2hq said:
Apart from don't or get somebody else to do it what's the best way to weld a used petrol tank?

Alan...

can you fill it with water ? if its full of water there is no room for petrol fumes l would think,

Phaeton

Staff member
Yes, had the water level only a millimetre away from where I was welding & survived to tell the tale, unfortunately ran out of gas, note to self, the purpose of having 2 bottles is to refill one before they are BOTH empty.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
dont ask me to do it... A few of you saw the burns on my hand one year at newark :)

Put a running cars exhaust into it :)

Danny

vexedben

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your info regarding the welder. Can you recommend any particular brand or model of welder? Also, I think I will be using it mainly for adding brackets and bumpers and things what power would you recommend?

Once I've got my chassis purchased, I'll try and get some pics of my build up on the site. :) cant see refurbing of parts being that interesting to look at at the moment. :p

Cheers

Ben

Steves2580

Hi Ben,

Stick to a well know brands if you can:-
Kemppi, Lincoln, Miller but there are more affordable sets out there!

You need to be looking at an 180amp machine that will run off a 13amp supply!
180amp will weld up to 8 or 10mm steel!
As I said, you can turn a 180amp machine down, but if you buy an 100amp machine you'll only ever be able to weld 2mm or less!
Find one you can afford, but before you buy, let me know what it is and I'll tell you if it's worth your money!

Happy welder hunting!

Steve ;D