Wheel Alignment Tools

Danny

Administrator
Really need to get a wheel alignment tool sorted...

had monkeys do mine last time :-(

Danny

Administrator
Right so I need to do the alignment again and I will be damned if I am paying some monkey to do it again...

Will doing it the old fashioned way of string work?

I am not sure if my rear is wider that the front.....

Phaeton

Staff member
Looks like a lot of money for what is essentially 4 axles stands, a piece of string & a £25 camber gauge

Lilspeed

Danny":26oi625e said:

I bought one of these last year Danny.
I was quite pleased with it, does what it says on the tin for the price of maybe a couple of trips to the garage for tracking. It is a bit fiddly to use - the laser needs to be 're-calibrated' off the nearest wheel every time you make an adjustment, but I'm just happy to be able to do tracking myself even if it does take a bit of faffing!

Lilspeed

Nope.
But I use it to set the rear tracking, then use a nice straight bit of box section held against the rear wheel and take a measurement in to a point on the chassis on each side. Same measurement each side - rear wheels aligned.
Plenty good enough unless you're fully rose jointed and trying to knock split seconds off your lap time!

''Left a Bit''

I just use string tied up to axle stands, get everything square and go from there. I haven't seen a 'straight' piece of box section yet ;)

Danny

Administrator
Lilspeed":mc7wdnwd said:
Nope.
But I use it to set the rear tracking, then use a nice straight bit of box section held against the rear wheel and take a measurement in to a point on the chassis on each side. Same measurement each side - rear wheels aligned.
Plenty good enough unless you're fully rose jointed and trying to knock split seconds off your lap time!
Ok that makes sense.... always trying to knock times off :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Danny

Administrator
''Left a Bit''":a5xnyrek said:
I just use string tied up to axle stands, get everything square and go from there. I haven't seen a 'straight' piece of box section yet ;)
When you say get everything square do you take measurements from the center of the wheels...

I thought about making up a square frame and then run line down the sides but I may well be over complicating it...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Phaeton

Staff member
Getting it setup is the hardest part, I did do a write few years ago, it might have been on the old forum, You put 4 axles stands out, it's probably better using knicker elastic than string, you then need to measure from the end of the stub axle to the elastic/string so you get the same both sides, but you have to have the two axle stands at front & back the same width apart. Then you can measure from front of rim to string & rear of rim to string, then using your good friend Mr Trigonometry you get the angle. But leave yourself several hours as each time you change anything you have to check everything again.

''Left a Bit''

Ne, get the string squared up to itself, you can work your chassis alignment out (if you haven't got it straight to the string) by measuring both sides to single point front and rear which will give you a thrust line to offset your measurements to the wheel rims by. It takes me about 30-45 minutes in the workshop to square away the front and rear to each other and the chassis so everything is dead on. Longer if you need to set camber/castor too as then you're into iterative fun...

Danny

Administrator
OK I think I understand...

I will give it a go and see how it goes :D

the trick is I think to have the rear and front axle stands the same width apart... I can make a jig for that I am sure...

I am a little way off tracking yet