Which SVA/IVA test?

Keyz

Hi guys,

I'm just trying to figure out which tests and things my car needs to go through to get it on the road. I'm getting really confused and mixed messaged from the DVLA site about which tests are required. I apologise if this has already been covered.

The donor car was declared as scrapped, but I still have an old V5 and the VIN plate from the car. Given this, I'm assuming it will eventually be a Q plate?

Which tests do I need to go through to get it on the road? SVA, ESVA or IVA? Also, I have been reading through the posts about your experiences - who makes the decision whether to go for SVA or IVA and what is the difference between the two tests?

Is there a copy of the criteria on the web anywhere or do I have to order it?

If anyone can shine light on the situation I would be very grateful.  :)

Thanks in advance,
Rich

jason_l

SVA was the old style test, this is now no more! IVA has now been brought in to action and this replaces the SVA test. Its basically the same thing but a little different and slightly tighter regulations.

The IVA manual is available on line, let me find the link. The biggest change is that the fuel tank now needs to be seperated from the passenger compartment. If you ar building a freestyle then you may need to do some extra work to house it in or fabricate a new compartment that meets the regs......

Jason :D

Keyz

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the super fast response and the link to the manual!
Yes I am building a freestyle.

I have ordered a fuel tank of my own design to go behind the seats, when it arrives I'll have to figure out some way of covering it up, but I don't think it'll be a major problem.

So even though the car was scrapped I only need a the standard test?

Many thanks for straightening things out for me!
Rich

HolyCount

As regards the Q or age related plate -- it largely falls to the DVLA officer dealing with your case. After you have passed the IVA you need to take your MAC certificate ( that you get given when you pass) to the DVLA licensing office nearest you. If they think enough of your components come from one donor, the age of which you can prove (V5) they will offer an age related plate (not the same one from the donor -- that goes back into the pool of unissued numbers). Otherwise you will get a Q plate.

Phaeton

Staff member
Rich, you're not going to be able to get a behind the seat tank through IVA, it states that the tank cannot be within the passenger compartment. The one I'm doing at the moment I will admit I intend to cheat, go for IVA with a fire extinguisher mounted behind the driver, in the space at the end of the clutch housing & the O/S/R wheel. Once through the IVA it will be replaced with a behind the seat one which I already have. There is a post somewhere where I have emailed VOSA regarding this.

As to registration, use the V5C when you fill in your forms (V627)  you may still be able to get an age related plate. It would have been better if the donor was on SORN not scrapped but it may work out.

Alan...

jason_l

Keyz":2tgtqorw said:
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the super fast response and the link to the manual!
Yes I am building a freestyle.

I have ordered a fuel tank of my own design to go behind the seats, when it arrives I'll have to figure out some way of covering it up, but I don't think it'll be a major problem.

So even though the car was scrapped I only need a the standard test?

Many thanks for straightening things out for me!
Rich

Fuel tank will need to have a firewall all around it to class it as not in the passenger compartment. Also need drain holes in the floor so if tank does leak then the fuel will escape out the bottom of the car rather than leak into the passenger compartment.

From what i believe the Frrestyle is tested under the 'Basic IVA' part of the manual, although you might want to check that. If you start reading the manual from the beggining it will become clear as to what it will go under.

As to the car being scrapped. I asume you mean the donor vehicle? Im not too sure what happens with this to be honest. From what i understand you need the V5c and chassis plate to 'PROVE' the age of the engine but i was under the impression that you don't declare the car scrapped until you have your car tested and then at the registration stage you tell them that 'this was the donor car' and they then mark it as scrapped.

Im building a slightly different ;D ;D ;D Freestyle and i have a Starlet GT that im using as a donor, i have removed the engine and chassis plate and it has been crushed but as far as VOSA is concerned the car is just SORN'ed.

Im sure some of the other members can shed some more light on the subject.

***EDIT*** while i was typing this post Alan has posted up info on scrapping the car :D
Jason :D

HolyCount

The problems we are experiencing are that, basically, even the VOSA and DVLA don't know how to apply the rukles -- different offices give different results !!!!!  Great isn't it ???