Mr Bumble's Rebuild

The place where MuddyBuggies Members can post updates to their projects
Phaeton

Re: Mr Bumble's Rebuild

Postby Phaeton » Thu May 26, 2011 10:44 am

Finished the other side last night & managed to make up enough pipes without having to buy any silicone hoses, no pictures sorry but will get some up later.

Think I have an air lock problem which I always thought I would need some form of bleed where it goes into the top of the radiator. Been looking at THESE but they are stupid money, anyone know a different option?

Also need to sort out some form of temperature sensor to switch the fans on/off. I was thinking of putting it in the return pipe

then if the temperature gets too hot as it comes out of the radiator the fan/fans would come on. Wondered about just drilling the pipe & liquid metalling a nut of the right thread to it.

Have been extravagant on one item I've bought a dual fan controller Siyda

But the costs so far have been

Radiator from Stoneleigh £10
2x 32mm Ali pipe @£6 = £12
4x 32mm exhaust clamps @£0.85 £3.40
17x Jubliee clips @£0.85 £14.45!!!!!!!!
Hoses FREE
Fan Controller £35  :(

Alan...
Muddybuggies FMR Member You Know It Makes Sense

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Fri May 27, 2011 8:53 pm

Just another little update

I was concerned of air in the system at the top of the radiator, so today called at a tyre shop & got a Schrader valve off a lorry & with a couple of penny washers put it in the top hose.

I then jacked up the back of the buggy on the expansion bottle, filled it all up again with the schrader open & there was no issues, so not sure if it was the jacking up or the valve that did the trick. You can just see the tube I had on the air valve to make sure all of it came out.

I also played around with a couple of temperature sensors including a new one I bought but couldn't find a nut to fit, so went with an old Mini one. Drilled the pipe which will be coming to the back after the radiator, so if that gets too hot the fans kick in.

Alan...

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:18 pm

Well the idea of the nut on the pipe didn't work, left it over night & it just came straight back off, never had that before but never used it on Aluminium before either. Anyway I used plan B, which was weld the nut onto a piece of steel pipe & fasten thet over the ali pipe with some rubber & sealant between, seems to have done the job.

So put every thing back together & she finally looks like

Then the front bumper is added back.

May have to consider moving the number plate, but we;ll see how it goes, all is good apart from my fan controller, which I appear to have broke, so there is a new one on it's way from the guy who make tem, hopefully that will be here tomorrow. It also stands a little low, but new bigger tyres are going on next week & then may look at either stronger springs or moving the shock  spring mounting out slightly to lift the front, I currently have lots more height at the back than front, as the doughnuts were renewed last year.

Then it's just sorting a place out for the battery.

Alan...

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:23 pm

Bit more done today, moved the battery to it's new home, I was going to buy one of those small gel type batteries, but not sure I'll bother now

The I was concerned that the number plate was sort of defeating the object of having the radiator at the front, so moved it along with the bracket sidewards

The I took him out for a run, OMG!!! what a difference it makes, not only does the engine temperature not get up it's so much quieter, it's amazing how much noise the old fan must make, granted I was running a metal Safari fan, but even so it's such a difference & I still have the intake hole opened up.

I gave it some beans around the bypass & the temperature never came up above 70 on the capillary gauge, I called in a shop & when I came out it had gone up to 80, but 2-3 minutes down the road it was below 70 again. I did have one fan running constantly as it appears I have foobar'd the electronic controller I bought.

All looking very good so far.

Alan...

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Just a little update as I have been busy doing other things,

Taking on-board about possibly touching the shorting I put a length of edge trim so it can't touch. I also have made an effort to cover the positive terminal, this is only temporary as the terminal is a negative & doesn't fit correctly, at Newark show I'll buy a proper one.

He also got some new boots courtesy of Cedric, I was going to go for 185/60x13 but these are 175/70x13 which are 4mm larger in diameter, it also gives me 35mm more ground clearance than when running the 175/50x13 so I am back to the same clearance before the front radiator.  Only had a quick run whilst I set the speedo, it seems smoother, but feels a bit high up.

Alan...

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Ever since I had the panniers finished by somebody else & the method of fixing the hinges got screwed up I have never been happy, the problem was they leaked due to the hinges being laid flat, you can see the gaps in the hinges in these images.

So last year on the Wales trip Simon (Esdebe) gave me some pond liner & with this years trip looming & the chance of my camping gear getting wet I though I'd better do something. I drilled out all the rivets on one side & put the pond liner on top. I then used some thin Ali strip to hold the liner down & re-pop riveted them back together. Don't think it looks too bad either.

But when it comes to pop riveting this is my new BFF amazing piece of kit.

Other side to do tomorrow & then put my new/old seats back in & he's usable again.

Alan...

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:13 pm

Well I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not allowed to do anything with Mr Bumble until after my daughters wedding on the 6th October. So I did what any red blooded man who is the master in his own home would do, I waited until she went out & snuck into the garage. Didn't get a great deal done as the lad who bought the Swift GSi turned up to collect, but got the rear bumper off, wheels arches, shock absorbers which wasn't bad before it went dark.

Pictures not to good unfortunately

Alan...

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:05 am

Well things took an unexpected turn yesterday, I was at work & our system was being a right pig, I was getting server errors trying to read/write to the database & was getting seriously hacked off. I was also dealing with the French, which are never easy to deal with especially when in a bad mood. So as a distraction, I took refuge in the land of opportunity that is Fleecebay, unfortunately/fortunately I was tempted by a little red thing that had only 12 minutes to go & despite my better judgement my fingers hit that BID button. Guess what I won it!! So straight after work, I had my son run me the 10 miles to fetch it, it's still taxed & MOT ran out yesterday so was able to drive it home, it seemed to drive okay but there is a tapping noise coming from the top, which I may or may not look at, but now I think apart from some bent steel I have everything I need.

Alan...

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Not much of an update, been messaging guru welder Steve & decided what I need to change the frame. I have ordered a length of 6m tube, cut into 1m lengths with a 90 degree bend putting in the middle of 4 & at 60/40 on the other 2 came to £80 & will be ready for collection next Wednesday. I think I have enough tube for the down pieces & will have a look this weekend to see if I have enough 25mm box, I suspect I will need another piece.

Alan...

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:05 pm

Well looks like I'm past the point of no return

Alan...

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:19 pm

So Jill's off to Butlin's with the girls, the daughters wedding went well so I now have clear space until the bathroom redecorations start. So time to get the modifications started again. So first thing was to look at the MGF subframe, which mountings are 2" wider then the width of the buggy, so whilst deciding on the best way forward I noticed another set of mounting holes on the subframe, presumably they were used for the Metro the the subframe was originally designed for.

This is where they are for the MGF

This is the other set

So i moved the mountings into these holes & now the subframe mounting are inside the buggy.

I made a jig up for the mountings

Then transferred this to the buggy

Here are the mountings on the new buggy mounts

Then offered up the subframe, at this pomt I noticed 2 things, 1 the new mounts fouled the subframe & they were too long.

So they were chopped back, modified & redrilled.

Subframe much closer now

So that was Saturday's work,

On to Sunday.

It's a bit organic, I had some tubes mandrel bend to pick up the shock absorber tops like Steve hasd done, but when I offered them up, it didn't look right, I left I wanted a bit more frame. So I stated by adding these in.

Then added some down tubes

Then made some shock mounts, there is one at the other side but must have forgot to take a picture of that one to bore you with.

Then after a clear up I pushed the buggy all the way out to get a full profile picure, shame the Fiesta is in the background, but I think you get the shape.

Then the reason I couldn't go with Steve's method of putting the tank in a separate extended unit. Even with this I'm going to struggle to shut the door once I make a bumper. I may have to see if I can gain a little space ay the front, by moving the lower half of the garage wall.

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Just a little more done, removed the old selector from the buggy (now in For Sale section) then looked at the new selector, it was very wide & very deep so I've cut off the sides & then shortened the big weight a little. Only dare take about 1" off but it lowers the whole thing. Started to cut the stick itself down & then stopped until I get the cables reattached as I'm not sure how much pressure you'll need to select gears. Figure on attaching the front of the mech to the cross member & then welding in a rear support.

Very small update but all forward movement so far.

Alan...

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:31 pm

Gear change slimmed down a bit & lowered brackets made & mounted,

Then onto the handbrake, mounts fabricated for the lver & then the bracket for the cables, I measured 3 times & still managed to get it in the wrong place, need to cut it off & move it back an inch.

Alan...

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:28 am

Still slow going at the moment, but try to do at least a little bit each night so that I cannot be accused of being a SLACKER been trying to decide what to do about the electrics, whether to follow Steve & use all the MGF stuff or go a different route & keep the Acewell which I think I'm going to do, seems a bit more bodgey & more my style :) Been playing with the hydrolastic pipes & have individualised them, got the connectors from the local hydraulics place, they reckon they should be good to 400psi. Last night I had a mobile mechanic call in & pump the suspension up, so he is now sat on his 4 wheels correctly, one of the pipes had a slight weep but nipped the jubilees up & it seemed to stop, but will see when I go out later. The hydraulics firm did mention that if they didn't work then bring them back & they would crimp on a blank, Jon the mobile mechanic suggested that I just get a pipe put between the 2 & effectively make the back one circuit, apparently there is a MGF with a Honda Type-R running around with this method.

Whilst I was waiting for the mechanic I took off both rear calipers as the handbrake was seized, cleaned up & freed off.

Alan...

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:10 pm

After the green wee episode the other day, I followed Andy's instructions & cut off the pipes & welded up the valves, should have done that in the first place but without mistakes we don't learn anything. Today when I got home Mr Shittylink had delivered me this

So this evening valves put back on & then pumped back up to 350PSI

Also had a play with trying to make some bracketry to hold the upper firewall but couldn't get it to look right or if I could then it was too close to the head, I would like to leave enough room so that if/when the head has to come off it can be done without having to drop the subframe & take the engine out.

Alan...

Return to “MuddyBuggies Owners Projects”