Melvin the Mev Mevster Discussion Thread

This is where you can discuss your builds
250buggys

Re: Melvin the Mev Mevster Discussion Thread

Postby 250buggys » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:38 pm

Hi Alan, great work & dedication!

When I started my next project after the Freestyle I wanted a kit car and not a kit conversion! looks like you wanted a kit conversion. I am sure if you had bought that MX5 donor Zero you told me about you would be happy zipping around in it now but instead you just wanted loads off bits all over your drive and to put them all back together and meet the challenge of the IVA...

The Zero is not quite a Caterham by any means, it has no build manual or build procedure and has many kit conversion elements and probably (certainly) won't have the resale value of a Caterham, but it should go pretty well. Your kit must remind you of the problems you had to overcome with the Freestyle.

Kind of on the same subject, I was up at my local college and they changed their foyer display. Before they had the landing gear from a 747 sitting in the entrance hall, everyone just walked by without a second glance except for me who spent a while trying to figure which hydraulic hoses controlled what. Anyway over lockdown they changed it and put a CBR and a kit car in the lobby. I couldn't work out which kit it was after studying so many 7 designs.

The front cycle wing is exactly what I have (after IVA) in carbon but the thing that really drew my attention was the windscreen bracket combined wing mirror bracket. Looks like cast alloy and is exactly what I need. Just where do I find a pair, that is the question??

Bracket.JPG

Kit Car 1.JPG

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:51 pm

250buggys wrote:Looks like cast alloy and is exactly what I need. Just where do I find a pair, that is the question??

Chris, Do you do Faecesbook, chances are somebody on there will know where to get them

250buggys

Postby 250buggys » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:16 pm

Hi Alan I don't have the time for Facebake, not my generation but I may well put a post on the Locost 7 Forum or RHOCAR but not a member, the Zero forum failed from what I understand and people seem to host their own builds. but I guess this is a more 7 related question in general. Do you have an account on either forum? I have a saved search on ebay but nothing has come up and those brackets look as though they should go through IVA so should be quite widely adopted throughout most builds, I cant believe I have not come across them before. I have some stupid F1 carbon mirrors and will probably re think these for IVA! The carbon ones that came supplied with the Freestyle were e marked and went straight through, as long as they hit the angles I guess they are all OK.

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:09 pm

I'm going through with these

Others have so hopefully they should be okay,

I am a RHOCAR member so I'll copy the image & post it there for you, I've also got a fake FB account I'll put it there for you as well.

250buggys

Postby 250buggys » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:19 pm

Thanks Alan :)

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:50 am

It does have it's uses, apparently they are Dax Rush mirrors, they suggest the Dax group or JK Sports Cars Limited
Choles Industrial Estate - 284 the high road - North Weald CM16 EG North Weald.

Others say they might be Unipart from cars from the 70's so that's another avenue you could explore

250buggys

Postby 250buggys » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:03 am

Thanks Alan good work, that makes sense as Dax rush 7s are the only square head lights you see. :-)

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:09 am

Looks like they might be right this is from the FB page

250buggys

Postby 250buggys » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:09 pm

Yes certainly is Dax Rush, I found this one which confirms it which is great, just need to be able to purchase some.

Thanks for your help :)

Bracket 2.jpg

250buggys

Postby 250buggys » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:11 pm

Those front cycle wings look awesome.

I found this Dax Rush up the road from me, Cosworth engine. V nice.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-DAX-Rus ... SwhJNf6Cbe

250buggys

Postby 250buggys » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:08 pm

Hi Alan only a couple of weeks now until the IVA how is your job list comming along?

Will be good to hear your views about the IVA compared to the SVA.

I picked up an LSD for my build.

Screenshot_2021-03-28-20-04-47.png

It came with another one that was seized but didn't take long to sort out, had been drained and the moisture in the air had got to it. Probably would have been ok if the breather was taped up with electrical tape.

250buggys

Postby 250buggys » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:31 pm

Good work Alan.

Are you going o drive it there?

I bought two of these and took the rest with me

https://www.kitspares.co.uk/index.php?r ... nut+covers

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:08 am

No I'll be using this

Thanks on the nut covers, they are only about 10 miles from & I want to look at their padded fibreglass seat pads, so may drive over

250buggys

Postby 250buggys » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:48 am

I have been to their show room to pick up my scuttle and a car load of other bits, about 4 times a year they organise a cars and coffee event, not just Zeros so if you are local might be worth a look.

https://www.greatbritishsportscars.com/ ... ffee-event

Return to “Build Discussion Threads”