Melvin the Mev Mevster

The place where MuddyBuggies Members can post updates to their projects
Phaeton

Re: Melvin the Mev Mevster

Postby Phaeton » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:48 pm

So the fun begins, I actually filled in the forms on the web a few days ago, they want the forms signing, but claim that just typing in your name in the signature box is enough which I'm sure I did.

First problem they tell me that I didn't fill it in although I'm sure I did, as I have no printer I wasn't sure what I needed to do, but they had sent me an image of it not filled in so using a drawing package I mocked up a signature & filled it in, that has now been accepted.

Second problem, I sent them an image of a copy of the original invoice which MEV re-issued to me for the princely sum of £75 (I'll not put my feelings here about that), now VOSA are wanting to know why I am using the invoice which is not in my name & 7 years old. I've just replied back to them advising them of the journey of the kit prior to my ownership.

We'll see if I have to jump through more hoops

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:22 am

I'm sure I mentioned up thread that the kit was originally bought by a college, then sold to a guy in Newcastle, VOSA are now stating that I have to provide the invoice/receipt for the sale between the college & the guy in Newcastle, then the invoice/receipt from him to me, I didn't get one but that one is easy, but how can I ask for the invoice/receipt between him & the college that is nothing to do with me, that's his own private business.

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:27 am

Update they have now accepted the application for IVA they now say they are awaiting payment, yep guess what no information in the email on how to pay!

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:30 pm

Got out today to do a bit, managed to fit the wiring tray, it fits under the dash & hides all the electrics including the ECU, I also intend to invert the fuseboxes so they can be changed from inside the car

I think it needs another fixing around the dipstick area but that will have to come from the outside & be a bolt rather than a rivnut

This is what will be in the passenger compartment, radius is over 2mm so should be okay, need to make a couple of brackets to hold it up at this side

Than start ed to try to fit the panels, this one was supposed to be a single piece but no way could I get it to fit, too many complex bends & notches needed, so I cut along its length, I'll get a bit of 50mm aluminium & make a joining piece.

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:30 pm

Well a fair bit of time has now passed & a lot of hours have been spent, but looking now I'm not sure where, I was supposed to be having the IVA on the 2nd March but due to the weather I'm not ready, I lost about 3 weekends and multiple afternoons where nothing could be done. It's now booked on the 13th April a couple of weeks further away than I'd hoped but as Stoneleigh isn't happening I suppose it doesn't matter.

I did have a disaster though with the snow, I bonded the screen onto the surround, then trial fitted it to the kit, it fits on with 8x 6mm bolts into rivnuts, I had figured on working on the car the next day so only put in 2x screws, unfortunately we had a heavy snowfall which without having all the bolts the weight of the snow tore the fibreglass >:( >:(

I've put an aluminium plate behind each side, Tigersealed it, clamped it & left it for 3 days hopefully it'll be strong enough & it's under the bonnet & cannot be seen. I've since found a guy who does fibreglass repairs so if there are any issues I'll take it for a proper repair.

I then had to bond the screen back in again.

Some more work was done getting the wiring into the tray, some of the exocet guys shorten up the loom but I have decided to be lazy & only chopped out what wasn't needed. I then mounted the wiper motor, which of course I put on the wrong way around to start with ;D ;D .

Then had to bond all the rear lights into the body & wire them up, Oops image upside down

Took the airbag out of the steering wheel, intend to IVA with standard wheel then look for a new one afterwards, possibly a snap-off to make getting in easier

Then started the internal panels didn't come out bad but I think I'll have another go after it's on the road & found out what needs t be changed.

I need to make some small grilles for the heaters, I was going to go with a proper heater box off the engine, but the others lads with Mevsters convinced me not to, i hindsight I should have stuck to me original idea.

Today I've been test fitting the passenger side side panel, other lads have just bonded these on but I feel that I'd prefer if they were bolted on so they can be removed making modification easier, so I think the way I'm going is 4x 6mm domed head bolts on the top, 2x 6mm bolts on the bottom then run a bead of bonding along the bottom edge which if I want to remove the panel I can cut through the bond with a Stanley knife.

Return to “MuddyBuggies Owners Projects”