Danny's K Series Conversion Project

The place where MuddyBuggies Members can post updates to their projects
Danny

Re: Danny's K Series Conversion Project

Postby Danny » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:43 pm

RIght I have been busy :D

So since the MOT I have replaced the temp sensor switch and cut a massive hole in the rear panel of the buggy and fitted a fan :D

I have wired it but my soldering iron shit itself so I need to finish that off tomorrow :D

Danny

Postby Danny » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:05 pm

Well I have been pottering about with .y buggy.

I have moved the ecu you and the fuel pump and filter.

I have also found the break in the wire that caused so many problems in wales. A connector within the loom had literally pulled itself apart...

Wiring in the obd port properly tomorrow and should have it all back running again... with a bit of luckImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Danny

Postby Danny » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:11 am

I spent yesterday wiring in the obd port on the buggy and I thought it would take most of the day to do right. Which it did.

Running the cables so they look like they should takes time but my god how easy is using connectors now with a ratchet crimping tool.

I also powder coated a bra key I have budged up to hold the fuel pump and filter.

The next thing was to look at other possible reasons why the buggy hesitates when it is hot and one thing that has come up a few times is that when the engine gets hot the plastic throttle body distorts and especially the case with after market air filters. The jubilee clip that holds the air filter on distorts the body and it starts to stick

Another option is the throttle position sensor is on the blink or is going to cock when it gets hot

So £63 later I have bought a genuine brand new 52mm alloy throttle body which comes with a new throttle position sensor.

Once that is fitted all I am going to do is cut holes in my side panels and maybe fit some fans to suck some air in to the engine bay and hopefully thay will aid with keeping the temperature down in the engine bay.

ImageImageImage

Danny

Postby Danny » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:46 pm

Hoping this solves a problem.... it will make a nice induction sound apparently the extra 4mm in diameter increases by 17% over the the standard 48mm Image

Danny

Postby Danny » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:12 pm

What a absolute cock of a day....

I borrowed my friends snap on scanner so figured it was a good time to double check my obd wiring and make sure all was well. That was the plan for the day.... that's it.

Well the reader could not read and after about an hour I realised that I was not hearing the relays click and the fuel pump run... cock the ecu was not getting power.

I spent hours with a multi meter buzzing out wires and check earths and looking for lives...

then a quick call to phaeton and boom we find one of the lives is dead... so a bot of digging and we find another connector has shit itself...

New connector and all is well in the world. A quick rebuild and and double check my ecu and I cleared the codes.

So my next day on the buggy is thursday and hopefully the throttlebody will be there so I can fit that and get it running.

Danny

Postby Danny » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:55 am

Well all my parts have arrived so fingers crossed on thursday (i only have thursday) will have it all back together again :D

Danny

Postby Danny » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:45 am

I managed to get a full day in the garage yesterday and I got the throttle body fitted and tidied the wiring up.

I then went to fit the fuel pump and filter and my connector snapped so I had to do what I can only call a bodge....

I need to get from 6mm tube to 3/8 and I have very little space.

I was meant to be working on the car today but my god the weather is horrific and I cant keep the garage doors openImage

Danny

Postby Danny » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:00 am

Got te side panels drilled and the mesh applied today which is handy...

Just need to mount my air filter better and then bolt it all together and give it a damn good clean ready for stoneleigh

I used a graphics program to make a template to layout the holes and it also helps with dot punching the centersImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Danny

Postby Danny » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:40 am

I had to move my air filter as I have never liked that it was outside the car and also if I ever need to take the side panel off I had to remove the air filter.

To get the air filter to sit in a place that I wanted I worked out all the bits I needed. The first hurdle was getting from 76mm of the air filter to the 70mm of the throttle body. I also needed a bend in it to get the air filter past the expansion bottle.

Ordered a load of bits to do this then realised that I could have done it in one move with a reducing 45 degree silicone tube. So I cancelled everything and ordered that.

20191018_112843.jpg

Also meant I did not need to make a bracket to support the air filter as the silicone tube does a great job.

Danny

Postby Danny » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:10 pm

The next job was to get the fuel pump and filters wired and plumbed up.

This is where phaeton stepped in to point out I had plumbed my fuel pump and filters wrong.

Originally fuel came from the tank through the filter through the fuel pump and off to the injectors.

Phaeton told me the filter need to go after the pump... I was concerned about the fuel pump getting damaged due to crap fuel rather than thinking about of the fuel pump scrapped it self and dumped the contents into the injectors.

So I switched the plumbing round and then fitted an inline paper filter before the fuel pump....

20191019_144030.jpg

I plumbed it all in and went to fire up the buggy but fuel was not getting through to the fuel pump...

I have ordered a none return valve which I will put just after the fuel tank and I need to prime the pump I think or should I say hope!!!

Danny

Postby Danny » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:35 am

Well today I managed to get a few hours in the garage and I finally got the buggy running!!! It was smokey as hell at first which made my heart skip a beat but I figure it is because I have changed a load of stuff that the ECU was working stuff out :D

I then also found one more problem... My battery isolator switch has gone rogue and so I have ordered another one and that should arrive for me to fit at the weekend then it is a case of just putting everything back together and cleaning up and hopefully I should be ready for stoneleigh :D

Danny

Postby Danny » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:09 pm

I managed to get quite a bit done today...

I replaced the battery cut off switch and then looked at putting it all back together.

I have always had my engine bay fuses above the engine but it is quite annoying so I decided to move it and have made a new bracket and put the fuses above the ecu so that clears that space up and makes things a little tidier...

I did also have another gremlin... my fuel pump would not fire but I moved a connector and all is good again so I need to look into that a bit more.

With all that being said I think my hesitation fault may have been that broken wire i found in the past...

Anyway hopefully 2020 will be the year that the buggy makes it too and from wales without any problems ;-)

Danny

Postby Danny » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:14 am

RIght we have finished!!!

All ready for stoneleigh :D just cleaning left to do now :D

SHe runs and sounds quit fruity as well :D

I am going to use her a litttle more next year I think :D

wagon_1.0

Postby wagon_1.0 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:14 pm

video needed :)