ChaosMotorSport MKII Buggy Engine Swap

The place where MuddyBuggies Members can post updates to their projects
ChaosMS

Re: ChaosMotorSport MKII Buggy Engine Swap

Postby ChaosMS » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:47 pm

So more progress on the scissor lift this weekend (I need to get it done so I can continue on the buggy)

I got the laser cut parts back (awesome job by AK Stainless near Preston)

finished up the wheel carriers:

Added the hinge box and additional strengthening to the wheel mounting plates:

A little test fitting with the scissor frames:

Added the torque tube to both wheel carriers:

And assembled both carriers and the frames:

I've welded in the lower mount for the hydraulic cylinder now need to build up all the other laser cut parts, fit them and then mount the top table!!!

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:07 am

Awesome work

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Cheers Alan

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:37 pm

OK so finally got the whole lift to work and got the buggy on it - it was surprisingly easy to wheel about with the chassis on so here are a few more pics

Danny

Postby Danny » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Work of art that

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:15 am

Cheers Mate ;D

wagon_1.0

Postby wagon_1.0 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:50 am

Ah I have noticed that the rear frame is detachable.... A nice touch....

I'm pondering similar ideas too

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:21 am

Yeah im moving all the suspension mounts off the rear frame and onto a new subframe that mounts to the holes in the engine mounts and also to the main chassis via two vertical plates (not done that bit yet)

Just sorting the subframe design out then I can have it cut out and get it welded together, the only mount which will be left on the old rear frame will be the upper shock mount ( I will add a suspension locking option so that you can lock the bottom arms in place undo the top shock mount and remove the rear frame with it still sat on its wheels)

I am thinking of a pin and socket arrangement to put the rear frame back on, I have a neighbor with a lathe and mill (he does model engineering) who has offered to make them for me each joint would have a couple of bolts running through it and either end would be welded into the tube

How were you thinking of doing yours?

wagon_1.0

Postby wagon_1.0 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:35 pm

probably something similar.... but now i have gone rigid!

How do you cope with measuring and positioning in 3D? I have been using lasers but its not exactly easy

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:36 pm

same process really and I usually build in a way to adjust if i'm not mm perfect, lasers are the way to go that and a big square !!

Got the majority of the lifting frame and bits painted and finished now - will post some pics soon, have also sold the old engine so have a little more space to work, will be splitting the tyres from the rims this weekend so they can go on ebay too!! sell sell sell.... need the new rims or second hand rims for refurb

Danny

Postby Danny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:09 pm

I need to work out how to get my engine in the mojo.... sleepless nights is doing my head in :D :D :D

wagon_1.0

Postby wagon_1.0 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:35 am

Bolt flat plate to the block, attach the mount to teh chassis then fill the gap with box? :D

I have realised my error in making everything at an angle - nothing much to take a level from!

And in usual fashion of paying other people, my custom bent tubing is far from precise / symmetric

Which is becoming more obvious as I add more stuff. Guess i'll need to paint it zebra colours to break up the lines!!

:(

Anyway - now your selling stuff are you going more road based or is it so you can use the golf hubs/ drive flanges?

I need (want?) some 13x10s for mine :)

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:24 pm

I know what you mean Wagon, got some so called super accurate mandrel bends and they were shocking!!! hence I built the Tube Bender!!

As for selling stuff, its so I can use the mk5/r32 5x112 drive flanges and bearings (which have the same spline as my driveshafts) I have also increased the size of the disks and calipers so need bigger wheels with a a different PCD - I am thinking of going with 18" rims

when you say you want 13x10s do you mean 13" diameter by 10" wide ?? they would be massive wide things!!! Awesome Carlos Fandango super wide wheels (showing my age there) :)

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:36 am

well its been far too long a wait for this update!! - I'm turning into a proper slacker ;D

So finished the buggy lift here are a few pics:

So decided to get the brake calipers sorted as they looked in a hell of a state (especially the back ones) here are a few pics before during and after (though I am still re-building the back ones as I discovered a broken snap ring so having to wait for new ones
rear caliper cleaned and stripped next to one in the state i got them!

Rears all cleaned and the carriers all sorted too

Painting time!

Fronts re-built all new everything pistons / sliders / seals / bleed screws etc

Also managed to locate a set of wheels for the buggy (as Ive sold the old ones due to wrong stud fitment now) they came off an Audi TT - they are a bit worse for wear but I will have them re-furbished and powder coated when im ready

Next job is to finish the rear calipers and pack them away till i need them and finish the subframe design here is the design so far:-

And yeah thats roughly where the backbox is going to go ;D

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:10 pm

i think i have almost nailed the subframe design now - here it is in the rear of the chassis but with the rear cage off:-
subframe complete without the frame - the oval cutout at the front is for the dog-bone engine stay from the golf.
a closer look at the mounting onto the chassis at the rear of the subframe (or the front whichever way you look at it)

just working on the design for the new lower arms that will be using 16mm rose joints instead of the 12mm ones I used before!!

Return to “MuddyBuggies Owners Projects”