ChaosMotorSport MKII Buggy Engine Swap

The place where MuddyBuggies Members can post updates to their projects
ChaosMS

Re: ChaosMotorSport MKII Buggy Engine Swap

Postby ChaosMS » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:28 pm

Hi - been busy sorting out the hub carrier over the last few days as had a little space issue!!, anyway I think I have it sorted and possible to build from the "flat plates with lugs attached" method for ensuring it all fits together accurately

With a bit of luck I should be sending the subframe and carrier parts out for laser cutting this week

Rich

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:13 pm

So finished the design for the subframe and hub carriers - so the rendering looks like this for the rear:

I got the guys at AK Stainless to do all the cutting of the parts from that rendering:-

Then set to putting the bits together, got both of the hub carriers tacked together ready for seam welding:-

Test fitted the hub disk and caliper frame

And then built the other side

And finally built the first section of the subframe and test fitted it:-

nice to get things moving again - did find the exhaust manifold exited right onto the subframe cross bar but I knew that was going to need work anyway!!

wagon_1.0

Postby wagon_1.0 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:51 pm

Frikkin awesome!!!!

I had the idea to do that tab/lug/laser cut idea with all my diff mountings - bloody wish I had gone that route now.... got 4 levels on the go at any one time!

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:10 pm

Cheers mate ;D

So I've been busy again on Sunday, got the second frame part of the subframe tacked together - this is the chassis end and has the additional mounts to bolt to the frame, here are a few pictures:-

And then I dropped the engine back in and found (as expected) the oil filter hits the frame!! - not an issue as I have a take off sandwich plate for it, so all good everything else fits spot on!!

Next job is to get another gas bottle as I've run out - do the final weld on all parts add the other tube to the bottom of the subframe and weld up - then I am going to sort the lower arms and also look at getting the engine to turn over (just to test compression)

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Wed May 08, 2019 10:45 pm

Been busy this weekend, finished off the subframe and got the chassis mounting plates welded in place (Thanks to Steve popping around to help out)
here are a few pics

Steve was enjoying himself so much he finished welding up the rear hub carriers for me too!!

So next stage is build the new lower arms and get them fitted also need to get the chassis pins finished and get the back end back on to make sure everything fits!!

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:34 pm

Been a busy bee over the last couple of weekends got lots done and Steve came over so much amusement was had by all! (Though this time he didnt use me as an earth strap for the TIG!!)
Anyway here are the rear lower suspension arms cut and then tacked together:

Here are the endplates with the M16 spacers welded in (so I have something for the rose joints to thread into)

Here are the arms fully welded with endplates and gussets fully welded:

A quick test fit to the subframe with rosejoints and hub carrier (plus a bit of wood):

New chassis connecting assemblies / pins finished and ready to be welded in:

Rear frame attached once again, chassis connecting assemblies / pins are tacked in place at the moment as are the mounting plates to the lower part of the subframe:

The upper part of the frame where it used to meet the top rollbar had to be reworked quite a bit when the upper connectors were put it but all's good now!!

Next job is to finish of the welding on the connectors, then modify the old upper rear suspension arms to fit the wider subframe so that I can re-fit all the rear suspension and look at the driveshafts.

Next thing on the design side is to finish off the design for the front hub carriers now that ive sorted the Ackerman out! and also prep the mounting solution for the rad and intercooler over the engine (only place it can go) then they can all go for laser cutting!!

Rich

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:35 pm

Quick update on the progress, had to make some tweaks to the lower arms but all good now, thought I would check for fitment and alignment of the shock mount now that the rear is back one (but mounted further back) so here are a few pics:-

Very pleased with the way its lined up so just need to change the upper wishbone now ;D

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:38 pm

OK so a little more work done this weekend, I re-built the top brace and then trial fitted one wheel to make sure everything would fit ok at the back:

So rear disk and re-built caliper fitted:

plenty of space inside the wheel !!
view from the other side

i think they should look pretty good once they have the correct tyres and have been refurbed ;D

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:34 am

Quick update time!! - so been cleaning up the rear removable cage to get rid of all the old suspension mounts and what not, basically to make a little room for the back box / cat / pipework etc. I also chopped up the new stainless backbox (must be more careful with that angle grinder) to get an idea of the position and mounting I will need to sort, I've also finished the modifcations to the rear upper old wishbones so they will not fit the subframe correctly here are a few pics from the last couple of weekends:
Back box in place with cage cleaned up
a better view of the space i have
and with all the rear suspension fitted

Just getting the back box tigged back up after i attacked it with the grinder then i can sort the rest out, Ive also taken the turbo off the car as im pretty sure I'm going to need to move it!!

ChaosMS

Postby ChaosMS » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:08 pm

so little bit of an update - I have got the alloys sorted for the buggy!! due to the increased size of the disk and caliper and moving from 4 stud to 5 stud I had to change the wheels from the 15" Ultralite D1's to an 18" rim, in the end I got some replica Audi rims in need of TLC!!

When I got the tyres off and took them to the Wheel refurbisher I discovered only 1 of them was actually round - the rest were dinged and one was very bad, however the guys a Top Wheels in Morecambe did a totally amazing job, fully repaired all dings removed and now properly round!! finished in a nice satin black powder coat!! here you go -

Not going to use the normal centre caps instead im 3d printing my own, here is the first rough print (will paint them black and then sand back to give the red logo)

And then finally with 235/55/18 General Grabber AT3's on!!

Also chopped up the driveshafts and sorted the cv joints for both ends so will post shots soon when I get chance to measure them up correctly!!

Rich

Return to “MuddyBuggies Owners Projects”