Max's Freestyle buggy build

The place where MuddyBuggies Members can post updates to their projects
Mini Mad Max

Re: Max's Freestyle buggy build

Postby Mini Mad Max » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Update time! Always nice to remind myself i have actually been making a bit of progress!
As a result of my up and coming exams and interview I have spent very little time out in the garage. Luckily, I have an amazing Dad who enjoys working on the buggy as much as myself! I did get a couple days out there too in the end. We managed to get a fair bit done! :)

Last build update I said i would get a photo of the seat mounts that i had been working on. Well here is the driver's side finished.
It is quite crude and far from beautiful. However it should be plenty strong enough. The seat now sits about 100mm off the floor. High up I know, but it is quite a comfy position for my tall self.

Harness mounts had to be moved forward due to the fuel tank. So I constructed some meaty brackets that ought to do the job nicely.

I also finished the air intake panel before Christmas. I just need to fit it to the cage and run the duct hoses with the neat little in-line blower fans i bought that kick out about 250cfm each :)
Mesh sourced from a sieve and just duct taped on, and then they will be clamped on tight by the jubilee clips that hold on the duct hose.
Balanced in place:
It looks a bit odd at the moment, because i think it looks a bit top heavy with those gaps in the cage filled in for the fuel filler panel and the intake panel. However, I have faith that it will look right once the arches and wheels are on and when it's sitting on all fours rather than up in the air on axle stands.

Then over the past week, Dad did this:
At which point i decided i couldn't help myself, and so revision got a bit neglected and I went and helped him, until it ended up like this:
The motorcycle fork gaitors were inspired by (copied in other words ;) ) Alastair's Dumfries Death Trap build :)
We had two steering columns and it made more sense in terms of space and stuff to steal the top bush off one and attach it to the bottom of the other rather than using the ford steering bearing that Dave Smart made.
We had to make our own U-clamp and spacer due to the limited space by the back of the ignition barrel.

The Steering Wheel now sticks out a long way and is reasonably high up. Again, It is to cater for my tall person needs. It is now a comfortable driving position tailored for myself so I'm very happy!

I will have to get my dad to hide the garage keys over the next couple of weeks so i can focus on my studies, but then it's go go go to get it done in time for Stoneleigh. Let's hope that my aim is not too ambitious!
Max

Mini Mad Max

Postby Mini Mad Max » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:07 pm

Hello all!
I thought I'd do a much needed update as i try to pass the time in my "inter-semester period" at uni. It's the first time I've not really had much work on, and it feels weird :P
Anyway, I found a load of pictures from last spring with my mad rush for Stoneleigh and a bit more progress from the summer.

I used garden wire as a template for making my copper lines.

Here is an original compensator valve plumbed in:
I know that opinions on use of these on buggies are somewhat divided and uncertain, but they work by ensuring the fronts and backs came on at the same time (floating piston between the two circuits inside). This was due to the difference in volume of fluid required between the drums and calipers. On the surface, this still applied to my setup, as i have twin pots on the front and single pot golf calipers of a different bore on the back. I certainly didn't want the back to come on before the front or I'd go through a lot of changes of underwear wherever I went! :P Furthermore, I seem to recall the valve having a pressure reducing effect on the front circuit. This again is important in my opinion, as there is not much weight up front, so i didn't want the fronts to lock up at the slightest suggestion of braking! The result of driving about at Stoneleigh was promising, but 10 minutes of driving around with fresh brake pads and fresh tires didn't really provide much of an idea of the kind of brake performance this will have.

After bleeding the brakes, I found that pressing the brake pedal made the whole of the front bulkhead flex. Worried that this would lead to fatigue around the welds that hold the pedal box on, I braced it. It also added a spongey feel to the pedal.
It's safe to say that the bracing helped a lot! Also pictured above, electrical bits start going on :)

The front end started to come together nicely! You can see my lovely 115dB horns. My dad accidentally hit the horn button when sorting out the flapping tarpaulin on the buggy whilst taking it south for Stoneleigh. That sounds perfectly fine until i tell you that it was in the middle of my village at 4am. OOPS! They are loud when you want them, and seriously loud when you don't :P
A nice close up of wiring in progress. It ended up fairly organised with only a small essence of stereotypical kit car wiring loom (ie: CHAOS!).

Unfortunately I was building more than i was snapping photos, so i don't really have much photos of the progress made then.
A day before stoneleigh, I was at my uncle's to get the alignment done.
After that, the only sensible thing to do was to drive it!
And then Stoneleigh. What a great weekend! I can't wait for this year's show!

Then came the summer. Playing with my band at the time, and going to festivals and parties took up more time than i had anticipated. This meant i didn't get as much done on the buggy as i had hoped to. However, I did manage to make at least some progress :)

I have made a start on my dashboard. Here is my dad and I creating the IVA friendly 19mm bottom lip.

We also made a template for dictating where the fly screen can come to without having to be made of glass to comply with windscreen regulations.

I hope to be back for a week or so this Friday, so i should have more progress updates shortly. Otherwise my next building opportunity will be Easter! I have all of April off basically. I will try and get in touch with VOSA soon to see if i can book an IVA for half way through April. It will only leave 3 weeks until Stoneleigh to possibly retest and get it registered, but that looks like my only option.

Max

Danny

Postby Danny » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:05 am

Been 5 years nearly max.......

Phaeton

Postby Phaeton » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:25 am

I'm up your way next week, want me to bring my A-frame & take the pain away?

Return to “MuddyBuggies Owners Projects”