Alans rear disc conversion phase II

biddleboy

hi max you can get the calipers from any local scrapy that might be breaking a golf early 90s m2 you want it being a gti for the breaks on the back as its the rear brake calipers you want because they have the hand brake on them

Phaeton

Staff member
They used to be cheap on Fleecebay, I only paid £10 for mine & at the time others weren't even attracting bids. But now they seem to go up to £50 a pair, note to self, stop telling people about the conversion.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

Heh heh heh! I just thought it would be extremely good for balancing the braking power ( i will use fixed bias valves to get it to what i want) Plus it will be good for fiddle brakes, me thinks that i will do like the autotest freestyle and plumb in a couple of MCs into the brake pipes to the back so have hydraulic fiddle brakes.
Max

esdebe

Sorry to hijack this thread.  I've been working on an alternative brake disc upgrade option that uses the drum hubs.  I fabricated a bracket out of 10mm aluminium that bolts onto the 3 holes on the hub and this holds the caliper, I then used a Nissan Stanza front vented disc as this doesn't need to much modifying to fit over the hub (I had to elongate the stud holes using a file) and I had to grind the back flat as I didn't get the discs that were machined properly!!.

I then needed to source some rear brake calipers that fit vented discs, I went for some Siera ones but Mondeo would also have worked.

I then had to get the short brake hoses re-made to have the 3/8ths UNF female bulkhead fitting at one end and a  M10 male fitting at the other.

I used the standard Siera handbrake cable, cut (as it was too long) and a balance bar made from a piece of angle.

I will be posing some pictures on the Projects page when I get round to it but this option is a possible upgrade for those who already have the drum brakes and want to have discs without changing the hubs.

Simon

jason_l

Bugger!

Where have the pictures gone? Anybody have them saved to their computer? I have welded up the existing holes and then need the pics for reference to drill the new holes.

Jason :D

JAMIE B.

jason_l":3qoc5k2l said:
Bugger!

Where have the pictures gone? Anybody have them saved to their computer? I have welded up the existing holes and then need the pics for reference to drill the new holes.

Jason :D

Sorted Jason  ;)

555ken

Are the photos for this thread still available ?

I'm wanting to do the same conversion, on the back of My GTM Coupe.

Phaeton

Staff member
Welcome to the club Ken, unfortunately Jamie is no longer with us, so I suspect all his emails & where he had his photo's hosted have now been deleted. His version of my conversion was wonderful to see, along with everything else he did his workmanship was fantastic. However if you wish to see a ruffarsed version then you can see mine where he got his inspiration from. brake-clutch-and-accellerater-f19/rear-disc-conversion-t301-30.html

Alan..

Danny

Administrator
Lol flat renovation with janes old man this week.. getting me up early

excuse my typing I am using tapatalk :)