Alternative front coilover units???

Angel Boy

Guys,
How much travel does the front end of the buggy need?  I know the standard Mini dampers that get fitted have 140mm of movement, but what does that relate to in real terms?  The reason I ask is that whilst cleaning my 125 to sell so I have some space in my garage to start to do some proper building, the rear damper on the bike is made by a company called Fast Ace.  Yes they are a company from the far east, but the coilover unit is adjustable and about the same length as the front Mini coilover.  So I had a look on their website and have found this:

Fast Ace BS-22AR

They come with either a 1000lb spring rate or a 250lb spring rate.  On eBay a trader has them listed for £47 Clicky here

What do you think?

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy,

The front Freestyle are rear shocks/coilovers so not sure if they are the same length, the fixing will have to be either modified on either to buggy or shock tops. Are they right with a 1000lb spring, surely they mean a 100lb spring. But I do like the price, much better than £80+ each.

Alan...

esdebe

The original ABS build manual says to use 90LB spings for the front, so the 100LB ones would be closer, and whats in 10LB anyway...

Simon

jason_l

esdebe":1r28wlal said:
The original ABS build manual says to use 90LB spings for the front, so the 100LB ones would be closer, and whats in 10LB anyway...

Simon

Simon, does it have any recommendations for the rear springs?  ;D

Thanks,

Jason

Phaeton

Staff member
jason_l":2t5sv0xu said:
Simon, does it have any recommendations for the rear springs?  ;D
Thanks,
Jason
No but it does mention fitting coilovers.

Alan...

esdebe

A standard mini would use 350LB springs on a coil over conversion for the front, so given we take the front and bolt it on the back I would suspect that 350LB would be needed there too...  But your not using a mini.....  I'd look at using springs  equivalent to what the starlet had at the front.

jason_l

esdebe":2fstu5gr said:
A standard mini would use 350LB springs on a coil over conversion for the front, so given we take the front and bolt it on the back I would suspect that 350LB would be needed there too...  But your not using a mini.....  I'd look at using springs  equivalent to what the starlet had at the front.

350lb? really?

Been looking at Mini Sport at the Spax coilover conversio kits and they sell the coilovers and springs seperately. They sell either 225lb or 250lb for the front coilovers.

Taking in to account that the freestyle rear is lighter than a mini front i would have thought the lower rate springs would be best. I Believe that the starlet lump is similar weight to the mini, maybe a little more?

Jason :)