Another take on the coil over conversion

JAMIE B.

I decided since there is a 3mm thick bulkhead next to the the shocker mount why not utilise it strength.

I turned two tubes on the lathe with a 3/8 inch inside diameter to match the shock bushes + bolt, then fabricated the front bracket to whitch one of the tubes was welded. The whole lot was bolted up with the single 3/8 x 5 1/2 bolt and then welded to the chassis. There are also gussets welded underneath the two tubes.

Hope this helps anyone thinking about moving over to the front coil-over set up.

P.S. leave a couple of mm clearance between the shocks and throw in a washer, your next set of shocks may be larger !!!

Regards Jamie

coiloverbracket.jpg

R1FREESTYLE

Jamie,
Nice looking conversion. Looks like it was there all along.......

Is there anyone else besides Simon with this set up on the road yet?

Just wondering if anyone has suffered an adverse effect from doing this swap?

Paul

esdebe

I don't belive that there will eb any additional issues of this setup over the one that was designed for the kit in the first place, they are both based on dampeners being at near horisontal configurations.

The only reason I did the conversion was becasue some how the exisitng spring stop got bent when I did a bit of offroading at Donnington... Still don't know how...

Also this setup eliviates a horrible squeak I had from the springs rubbing on the dampeners.

Simon

JAMIE B.

The other point to note is that you can now play with the ride height and stiffness at the front and your not stuck to stock dampers !

esdebe

Due to the almost horizontal incline, there is not much to be gained in the form of ride hight, but the stiffness / bounce flexibility makes a massive difference.

One thing to note, make sure you set both up the same.... I played with the gas settings on mine (just seeing what setting the two sides to be diffrent woudl be like), and it felt like driving with a flat tyre, and we very very unsteady....