Any Road legal freestyle buggies for sale ?

Leigh1299

Hi
I used to own a freestyle buggy many moons ago :) , and now I have a daughter who wants to get a buggy for the road to have fun in . I’ve started looking now as I would take on a buggy needing Tlc as long as it has been road registered !!
I’m only looking for a freestyle buggy , no other buggy or project.

Hoping there are some still out there , ???

Hopefully
Leigh

Phaeton

Staff member
I had a call the other day from somebody wanting to sell one, but when I told him how much to expect he said he'd not sell it for that & would rather leave it at the back of the garage.

He lives in the Cambridge area (I think) I can ask him if he would like me to pass his number onto you to see if you can work something out.

Alan..

Leigh1299

Hi Alan
Just out of interest what do you think it wold be worth cash wise?
I think I sold mine for £1500 about 14years ago !! It had a bench seat arrangement , and overheated in traffic!
I Would be happy for you to ask the man what he would like for it and if he’s happy for his phone number or email address to be passed on that would be great. :)

Phaeton

Staff member
I don't really know the value, I sold Mary in 2007 (I think) & got £3,200 for her, but sold Bumble earlier in the year & only got £2.500, he was fitted with a 1.8 K Series. They are worth what you are prepared to pay for it, I've not seen it, however he does race classic cars & also has a very nice Cobra so would imagine that it's top notch with good quality parts.

I'll send him a text to ask if he's happy to have his number passed on

Phaeton

Staff member
Leigh Sent you a PM with Mark's number in case you didn't get notification Alan..

Leigh1299

Thanks Alan ,
I have been in contact with the guy and the buggy is in top notch condition. It has all new parts and only gone 200 miles in 5 years !
I am giving it thought as I initially wanted a project but this is mint !!
Thank you for putting me in contact .
Is there anyone that makes parts for these buggies any more ?
Leigh

Phaeton

Staff member
There are no new parts around, @Danny has a few bits that he was hoarding he bought several unfinished ones at one point. But to be honest the only thing that is unique is the nose cone, anything else could be fabricated.

Leigh1299

Thanks for the reply Alan
I think we have done the deal and fingers crossed it will be in the garage on Saturday :)
I will try and post some photos if your interested.
Has anyone tried to find out how many of these buggies are still road worthy and obviously not in present Covid lockdown does anyone meet up or attend events that you are aware of ?
Thanks Leigh

Phaeton

Staff member
LOL, I've just had a call from Mark thanking me for passing his number on, Congratulations, as to numbers no idea anymore, pre-Covid we would meet up at Stoneleigh, we were going to do Newark & for the past 10 years we've done 4 days in Wales each July. Assuming I've finished my barge by then I intend to be doing all 3 next year (Hopefully), you are welcome to join in.

Leigh1299

mark does seem like a real nice guy and the buggy is in fab condition !!
I like the sound of the shows, so could well be up for that 8)
I know this is probably going to sound cheeky but if I get stuck on a problem with the buggy is it ok to message you on here ?
I’ve been on the forum a few times but there doesn’t seem to be many others on here ? How many people meet up ? Do you know if there are any people near me in Taunton with buggies !! It’s like the buggy is coming home as Mark bought the buggy from Dave smart in wellington which is less than 10 miles away lol

Phaeton

Staff member
The Somerset area was at one point a real hot spot for them, no idea where they have all gone, but all the videos on YouTube were all filmed in that area I think.

The Wales trip & TBH the shows have all mainly featured 4 of us, Danny, Simon & Steve, along with myself but others have come & gone, joined in for a while & left, not sure if we've driven them away or they have just moved on. There are a couple of active users, but the more questions that get asked the more they will come out of the woodwork to add advice.

So ask away with questions either via PM or put up a post, it's a while (9 years) since I had a buggy with an A series engine in, but the basics are the same.

Phaeton

Staff member
Over the years I've used Graham Sykes, Adrian Flux, AIB, plus maybe another couple, Footman James are always at the shows, don't think I've ever used them though. All you can do is hit the phones & waste a couple hours of your life, talking to them, then play them off against each other. Depending on your age & where you live, you'll probably looking between £100 & £200, I would have thought, mine with the 1.8 in was £121 in April with Free legal cover, (engine size won't make much difference) That was with Flux, the only thing they do which annoys the pants off me is Auto-renewal to me it should be illegal for them to do it, unless you specifically opt-in. So I would get on the phone & when they give you a price give a sharp intake of breath & say, 'That's expensive xxxxxxxxx quoted me only £xxx.xx) then see what they say.

Leigh1299

Went with flux , £134 ! You were bang on the money with £100-£200 !
You don’t know what the lottery numbers are this week by any chance :)
Thanks for the info 8)

Lilspeed

Leigh1299":1xkamz3y said:
Do you know if there are any people near me in Taunton with buggies !!

Hi Leigh. I'm in Crewkerne so not too far away!

Haven't been on here much lately as the buggy has taken a back seat while I restore a Mini, but it's still on the road and doing a couple hundred fair weather miles a year! ;D

Leigh1299

Hi Lilspeed
Just up the road then , are you running an A series engine ?
If so do you have an overheating issues ?
I don’t have my new buggy yet but had this issue on my old buggy !!
Do you fancy meeting up at some point ? No worries if your busy . It would be good to see what others have done modifications wise !
Regards Leigh

Danny

Administrator
I am here :D

Congratulations on your purchase :D

This year has been an odd one for sure but I am syre 2021 will be a good year :D I am hoping to have my mojo and buggy at stoneleigh :D but then again that may not happen :D The buggy will be there :D

Phaeton

Staff member
Leigh1299":lijr7slf said:
Hi Lilspeed If so do you have an overheating issues ?

When I was running the A Series I had overheating issues, not particularly when running but if I got stuck in traffic or after a blast up a dual carriageway or Motorway & then got held at the junction/roundabout. I think it's due to the lack of water being pushed around the system, I was looking into electric water pumps, but in the end did the FMR (Front Mounts Radiator) mod. However @Steve has the a standard buggy which will scream along nicely & he doesn't have any overheating problems, he has an extra fan but that's it.

Lilspeed

Leigh1299":1mr2hsux said:
Hi Lilspeed
Just up the road then , are you running an A series engine ?
If so do you have an overheating issues ?
I don’t have my new buggy yet but had this issue on my old buggy !!
Do you fancy meeting up at some point ? No worries if your busy . It would be good to see what others have done modifications wise !
Regards Leigh

Yes, still running A series despite what Danny tells me to do!! :D
And yes, it overheats - but only when the weather is really hot now I've made some changes.
I have a 2 blade Morris Minor fan, which draws air through the rad instead of blowing (needed cutting down to fit). And a big aluminium rad.
I find holding a high idle helps to get the coolant/air flowing if it gets hot in traffic.
Yes I'd be up for meeting up.
Would have to be fairly soon, as I said I'm a fair weather buggy driver so it'll probably get sorned the end of the month!!

Leigh1299

:D Hi all

Took delivery off the buggy yesterday and bought back some memories!!! Good and bad !!! Lol

The front brakes are 4 pot metro with vented disc , whilst playing yesterday the front hose burst but that’s ok as it’s been sat for a while but the issue I need expert help with is .......
The brake circuit has a larger reservoir and bigger body than the clutch . The clutch is a 3/4 one but with the 2 placed together I can’t remove the caps for refilling !!
Is there a reason why the brake one is larger or can I replace it with a new 3/4 unit ? This would solve my issue but I’m guessing it’s changed for a reason ?
The other issue is had anyone raised the steering wheel up , as in cut the steering plate and moved it up so it’s welded to the cross bar and then lengthened the steering bar that connects to the rack ? I’m 6 ft 2 and my knees take up the room around the steering wheel lol
Look forward to any suggestions!!