arches

have fitted my brackets for front arches but haven't bit the bullet and drilled the arches yet. does anyone know if there is a max amount of wheel that can be exposed or is there any rules on hight of indicators and anything i should consider when positioning the arches.

many thanks :?

iank

The arch has to cover the wheel and the tread of the tyre completely when looking from above. I've heard opinions both ways about having to cover any sidewall bulge, safer to have the whole shooting match covered by the arch. It's also supposed to cover to ground level, so if you have a lot of camber be careful that it's actually covered.

The front and rear of the arch must extend beyond the wheel (not the tyre) when looking from the side. When using the supplied arches this doesn't look to be a problem, unless you're using wheels/tyres from a Porsche ;)

This picture might clarify. It just passed, the front edge just covers the wheel.

wheel-side.jpg

Rules on front light positions can be found here:
http://www.westfield-world.com/svalights_front.html
So 350mm to 1500mm (!) in height for indicators.

(rears here for completeness http://www.westfield-world.com/svalights_rear.html)

Tip for positioning the arches. Use a blob of body filler to temporarily glue them in position with the wheel on. Do both sides to make sure they are symmetrical etc. Then take off the wheels (carefully) to drill. Some of the 7 builders stick them on with PU adhesive (sikaflex, wurth, tigerbond etc) rather than bolting, which looks cleaner but probably isn't enough for any off-roading.

Phaeton

Staff member
"iank"":1klcfvqy said:
The arch has to cover the wheel and the tread of the tyre completely when looking from above.
Again a slightly different interuptation, they only have to cover the rim not the tyre & I might be wrong on this next bit but only to half way down the rim.

Alan...

thanx for info. after looking at gallery on muddybuggies and the pic of wheel with yellow arch on, i have attempted to cut mounting brackets to bring the arches closer to my 13 x 7 deep dish mini lights.

luckly the indicators are still in the right hight bracket.

question: do you have to have side repeaters?

my car has been previously on th e road so i don't have to do the SVA :p , i have seen some cars in the gallery that don't have side repeaters on. i don't really want to put them on the side of my arches. if i have to fit them, could i mount them on the side of the car body instead?

iank

"mines got a bonnet"":269ofbfr said:
thanx for info. after looking at gallery on muddybuggies and the pic of wheel with yellow arch on, i have attempted to cut mounting brackets to bring the arches closer to my 13 x 7 deep dish mini lights.

luckly the indicators are still in the right hight bracket.

question: do you have to have side repeaters?

my car has been previously on th e road so i don't have to do the SVA :p , i have seen some cars in the gallery that don't have side repeaters on. i don't really want to put them on the side of my arches. if i have to fit them, could i mount them on the side of the car body instead?

Just be aware that's a 7, putting arches too tight on the buggy might cause a problem in thick sticky mud if you go offroad a lot.

Side repeaters:
In theory yes, but there was a cut over date, so MOT could potentially be blagged without since it's already done SVA.
One problem with not putting them on is if you have an accident where the opposing car claimed not to see you indicating it could get a bit unfortunate if the insurance company decide to get all 'letter of the law' with you.

They can be fitted to the body - like approx 100% of production cars :p
Same min/max heights (350mm-1500mm) There is an angle of visibility requirement 5% to 60% rearward, which I think means on a buggy means pretty much anywhere on the car if you are above the rear arches - wouldn't get too fussy about exact angles and heights since it's post SVA. Fitting them up near the mirrors would be idea if you can sort out the mounting and wiring.

Phaeton

Staff member
I decided to do something a bit different as well & have them in the mirrors, this went through SVA though I don't think they are really bright enough being LED's

Here

Alan...