Ben's Blitz 2 Buggy Build Discussion Thread

vexedben

Haha well I shall have a think about it before attacking it with the angry grinder. I kind of want to keep it as I'm intending on using the car as a track day and hill climb car. Suppose you can always take it off but not put it back on if I wreck the brackets.

Ben

Mini Mad Max

Have you got a big breaker bar? They're excellent for all things stubborn! You can put a hell of a lot of torque on the bolt with one :). If you dont have one but want one, halfords sell them. They are simply long handles with a pivoting 1/2" drive on the end. I cant praise mine highly enough!!
Max

vexedben

Cheers max for the advice. Managed to borrow a breaker bar from my neighbour and have cracked on massively. Managed to get the complete subframe and engine removed today. Now to scrap the car chassis and then crack on with the modifications :)
taqusabe.jpg

Ben

Phaeton

Staff member
Make sure you get all the wiring before you scrap the shell including all control boxes

Alan...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

vexedben

I had all the wiring come in boxes when I got it which should save me a lot of time. Just need the battery cable and the speedo drive cable and I think that should be it before scrapping.

Ben

vexedben

Well,whilst I've been trying to work out what to do with the shell, I've been thinking....

I currently have the mg wheels, but have been thinking about using 13 inch mini wheels with like a 6/7 inch width. I realise this will shorten the gear ratios somewhat but would go off the line like a rocket. What do you think, as I would rather keep it like the original blitz but useable on track

Ben

Steves2580

Hi Ben,

The power to weight ratio that you will have, will be enough to get off the line like a rocket!!!!
I've never tried to do a 0 - 60 test, but I do know that within approx 1/4mile I was doing 115mph ;D Private Road ::)
If you go down the smaller wheels route, you'll need to lift the suspension on the MGF subframe ???
The subframe is quite low with 195/50 15's on!
It will also have a big affect on the speedo (if you are using the MGF clocks).

Steve ;D

Mini Mad Max

Stick with the 15"s!! Steves did not feel sluggish off the line in anyway :p Also did you go for the vvc engine? Steves has the power to weight of an original lotus elise before they put the vvc engines in. I can guarntee you won't be disappointed with that either!! Also as fuel prices constantly go up you will be glad you don't have to rev the nuts off it just to maintain a cruising speed! Finally i think that bigger wheels look good on the buggies... Help them look more purposeful in some cases! ;)
Max

vexedben

Haha thanks Steve and Max. It seems that having just had the engine offered up to the rear of the buggy, it looks spot on!! It looks a damn sight better than the way the mini wheels and engine looked. Thanks for the advice, think it will be surprising enough :D I think I am going to try follow Andy's design kind of, as its already been done, but as you said earlier Steve, the measuring and making sure everything is spot on is going to be a lot of work

yhubyzyd.jpg

Looking well to say I've not really done much with it. I'm hoping summer will yield more fruitful labours so that I can at least have it moving :)

Ben

Steves2580

Hi Ben,

That is looking great for the amount of work you still have to do!! :D

I've sent you a PM
You might be best to ring or text as I might be away from the computer for a few days ;D

Steve ;D

P.S. 13's would look tooooo small on your buggy ::)