Best wheel size for road use?

Skirrow

I have a set of 10" revolutions knocking about and brakes to fit under them so that's my plan... smaller wheels will give me faster acceleration and lower top speed won't it?

What's the general opinion on best size wheels from road use? And any problems with 10"?

Phaeton

Staff member
Don't know anybody who runs with 10's I would have thought they were a bit on the small size. I think most people are running 13's I'm personally running 175/50x13, but when the rears wear out, which will probably be after Stoneleigh I'll be going bigger. 175/70 or 80 depending on price, it just revs it's nuts off too much at 60-70. I did run a set of 15" for a few miles & it gave a much nicer smooth ride.

Alan...

Buggybloke

currently I'm running 205/60R 13's,  on Weller 8-spokes (Capri 2.8 injection size?).... road style tread, ....unshakeable grip in ALL weathers, (except ice/snow, of course)..... smooth ride with 10psi in fronts and 25psi in rears, I did have 185/70 13's, on it when I bought it, a Mud+Snow tread by 'Kingpin', excellent grip again, but 'slideable', under control, and had to take care in the wet. I have a set of 'knobbly' Mud+Snow 155/12's to go on a set of old Hillman Imp wheels, to use for greenlaning etc, not tried them yet. My engine is a stage 1 tuned 1275cc on a 1.5" SU, and a 2.95:1 final drive, acceleration leaves most cars and bikes behind from the lights and in the twisty bits, top speed is about 92mph, on a long straight, this will probably increase when I fit a windscreen.......

wagon

Phaeton":eoi1pjvt said:
it just revs it's nuts off too much at 60-70.

It revs its nuts off on 13"s? Man it'll die on 10's!

Maybe I need to go back to the drawing board....

Do you have 998 Alan?

Phaeton

Staff member
Running a 1275, not sure how fast it would actually go but the driver runs out of balls at 80mph at which time the engine does sound distressed, but then again you are sat right next to it.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
I have the same issue as alan.... 70mph at about 5500 rpm

Handling is fantastic though with my current tyres :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Been to work in it today & it's about 4.3k at 65mph, I think it sounds worse than it is, it's directly behind you without much covering/sound deadening, what makes it worse that my daily is a 6 speed diesel which is only doing 2k at 70mph.

Alan...

Buggybloke

how much for 5x 'banded' 12" steelies, then.... I'd like to try some, how wide are they?, what sort of condition?..... want to sell/give some away?

wagon

Sorry man - I don't have banded steels - Only steels which could be banded!  ;D

I think the going rate for that is something like £60/ a rim. (nearly cheaper to buy a new set of alloys!)

Skirrow

Afternoon, never used the 10s as the damn buggy is still unfinished. Tue reason I fancied 10s was for the acceleration. Not sure how much difference it would make and if it would be worth the high revs at higher speed....