Buggy on e-bay

Phaeton

Staff member
Interesting find there Paul, for those who don't want to copy & paste here's a LINK what's probably more interesting is I have pictures of it in April 2008 of it with an engine fitted & a registration plate on it, I wonder where that went. But it could be an easy way to get a buggy on the road cough cough cough, as long as somebody hasn't already done that.

Alan..

Steves2580

Some of the motor factors, can put Vin numbers into there computers to get vehicle details, may be able to get the reg number too!

Are you going to have a bid??

Steve.

Skirrow

I've asked him if the vin is still there and if he will tell me what it is. If I can get that Ill speak to the dvla and see if I'm actually able to get the v5.

If I can ill definitely bid and probably get it back on the road or use the vin and parts to get mine on the road. I'm a little unsure how much of the ebay one I would need for that to be legit though. When does it stop being the original and just become an entirely different car?

Phaeton

Staff member
These are the details from DVLA

Date of Liability 01 01 2000
Date of First Registration 24 02 1986
Year of Manufacture 1986
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 998CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour BLACK

Alan...

Steves2580

If you get the vin number and buy the frame/sumframes, then all you will need to do is change the engine number and cc on the v5, re-build, MOT and off you go!
You might need an engineers report to say that the engine change has been done properly, but any local garage will be able to do that for you.

Good luck, hope you get on ok with the dvla!

Steve ;)

Steves2580

Phaeton":17qh83rc said:

Year of Manufacture 1986
Fuel Type Petrol
Vehicle Colour BLACK

Alan...

Bloody hell Alan, you're a fast worker!!
Well done fella!!

Steve.

Skirrow

Phaeton":3qcyifdr said:

Year of Manufacture 1986
Fuel Type Petrol
Vehicle Colour BLACK

Alan...

Haha brilliant.

Colour black is a little concerning...

Skirrow

Do you have the vin number or reg Alan?

Can you be sure its the same one in your photo?

Would be just my luck to indvertantly ring a car

Phaeton

Staff member
Dave if you have an original invoice for a 'Brand New' chassis then you may stand a chance of legally re-shelling the buggy. The buggy at the moment is still registered as a Austin, so I suspect like the Blitz in another post was built put onto the road & never tested by VOSA. The Blitz owner )apologies I can't remember his name) seems to be working with VOSA to get it done legally just a few hoops to jump through. But if you have the vin plate & V5C from the Mini that you built your buggy with I don't see there being any difference between this one & yours. It looks like this one has been off the road since before 2000.

However if you do win/buy it do we know anybody who is good at fibreglass as I've always wanted one of those roofs, although it may not fit as it is for an Onyx Tomcat not a Freestyle.

Oh I also suggest you have a look at THIS post & make sure you have a look at any links that are there.

Alan...

Skirrow

Thanks Alan. If its not been SVAed then its probably not what I'm looking for sadly. Thanks for the info though, I'll have a look at the thread you have posted.

Also it sounds like the guy selling it was never a registered keeper so might be complicated to get dvla to hand over the v5.

Interesting stuff all the same...

herman

Hi guys!
i can shed some light on this tomcat.
I bought it back in 2008 but with no engine.
Did some digging back then and its vin plate is registered as Austin Mini if i remember right. Thats the reg plate on it in 2008.
I then bought Dave's Tomcat (Mine's got a bonnet) thats the yellow one in the ebay photo, and sold the red one on.

the guy who bought it just doesn't have the time to build it.

If SVA'd its vin would be "ONYX ???????" thats what my yellow one has.
The vin on the red one is a genuine BMC VIN.

Hope that helps

PS anyone know how many Onyx Tomcats there are registered?
Just interested

Herman