Car based buggys

Baloo

lol, i think a freestyle or a blitz would fly round there with no trouble, camera was on the bonnet of a completely standard road car which gets round with no problem at all, track is quite smooth i designed it that way on purpose, i would like 4 or 5 buggies so we could have fun days there, still need to design them in my head though, anyone want to discuss design ? im thinking mx5 or mgf i think the mx5 might have better suspension with double wishbone on every corner

Baloo

not much to report but have made some progress on the front bulkhead , it now has a seamless tube running rights through it which will form the pivot for the brake system so the servo can be on the opposite side to the pedal and ive worked out the position for the steering column

Baloo

well the lack of work and heavy rain meant i could get onto the buggy today but i got distracted by the mx5 based one ::)
ended up working on that one instead as im waiting for lazer cut parts for the suzuki one

Baloo

yes i dident think i would need it but have made the front chassis just long enough for it to bolt up if i find i do need it, this is a proto type really
original plan was to use the mx5 engine and box as well but i ended up with an mx5 that came engineless so i just used what was under the bench ,
once this one is up and working i can use it as a guide to make another one lighter and maybe a touch smaller but using an mx5 engine and box to make it a single donor car

Phaeton

Staff member
Must admit that is the concern with all the MEV stuff, Rocket, Exocet etc. they are a BIG kit, just the same size as a normal MX5, would be good to lose some of the length, is it possible to shorten it in the centre, chop a chunk out, bit like they did with Beetles to make the SWB beach buggies?

Baloo

hi Allan
yes you can chop a bit out of the length, i can see why they dont though its hassle having to shorten that power frame that connects the diff to the gearbox along with the propshaft

url=https://postimg.cc/R3s6JN9s]
s-l1600ZGX42O0T.jpg
[/url]

i have shortened mine though currently i have an 80" wheelbase, whats a freestyles wheelbase ?

i sat on the floor legs straight out and worked out what the shortest i could have it and still fit in comfortably
i dont like being cramped up

Baloo

i now have the widest transmission tunnel in the world lol, exhaust is going above the gearbox and out through a single silencer high up at the back

250buggys

Baloo":3lpxbws0 said:
lol, i think a freestyle or a blitz would fly round there with no trouble, camera was on the bonnet of a completely standard road car which gets round with no problem at all, track is quite smooth i designed it that way on purpose, i would like 4 or 5 buggies so we could have fun days there,

That sounds like so much fun, I would be well up for that. Freestyle weekender....

Baloo

Any of the regulars on here are welcome to come and have a thrash round for a day or a weekend no problem at all ..
Its very close to j2 of the M42 to work out how far away i am

250buggys

Baloo":e51r577p said:
Any of the regulars on here are welcome to come and have a thrash round for a day or a weekend no problem at all ..
Its very close to j2 of the M42 to work out how far away i am

That's a really kind offer, I'm probably about 3 hours away. May well be up for that once we are back to normal again. :)

250buggys

Baloo":3w0roh3m said:
lol, i think a freestyle or a blitz would fly round there with no trouble, camera was on the bonnet of a completely standard road car which gets round with no problem at all, track is quite smooth i designed it that way on purpose, i would like 4 or 5 buggies so we could have fun days there, still need to design them in my head though, anyone want to discuss design ? im thinking mx5 or mgf i think the mx5 might have better suspension with double wishbone on every corner

When I took my freestyle to IVA the examiner said there was a surprising amount of ground clearance and I didn't really think too much of it.

Just had a measure and it's 160mm front and back. The 7 I've just bought coil overs for is 120 front and 130mm at the rear.

That Nissan micra didn't have any problems getting around your track except maybe for the turning circle. A bit of rain and some mud might be different :)

Baloo

Hi 160mm is about the same as the mx5 buggy so will be fine around my track,

ive made progress but i seem to have drifted over onto the mx5 buggy while i was waiting for parts for the vitara buggy
does someone with some power want to delete all references to the mx5 buggy from this thread and i will start a new thread as its going to get confusing ?