Car based buggys

Baloo

ok its not going to be the lightest thing out there but its a proto type and it will end up being the loaner for people who want to have a go, i can see many things i would do different next time round including using an mx5 engine and box

url=https://postimg.cc/v4rH6C0C]
mx6.jpg
[/url]

Baloo

i need some wide wheels for the back if anyone is any good at finding such things, 8 to 10" wide 4x100 i think

Baloo

Danny":ecgpdqwy said:
looking good...

thank you Danny its coming along i was aiming for wide and low which is what ive got normal car seats fit in easy i dident want to be cramped but sitting on the floor means that forward visibility is poor with that engine in the way my thoughts keep turning to rear engine again ::)
maybe another mgf based buggy should be next ? for those that have used a mgf subframe with the standard suspension how do they ride ?

what other rear engined car would make a good base ? mk 1 mr2 perhaps ?

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy, never had an issue on the road, but never really did much offroad with it, but if a Micra can go around your track I would have thought a lightened MGF would also, you can easily ditch the spheres & go coilover. As to what else you can use any FWD could be used ideally with cable gear change just makes it easier, Focus's or is that Foci have been used mid-engined, just the MG has all the bits already.

Baloo

i agree much better to start with a rwd in the first place, ive been scouring ebay but nothing cheap and close has come up in mgf's yet but i think if one does i will bid , could do with an excuse to build a couple of frames

250buggys

I had a little look too, there were a few cheap ish mot failures sold recently which is what you want but a good engine without HG failure would be helpful too and a better starting point.

Baloo

work has been busy for a while but i did find a bit of time to bend some tube, needs lowering a bit yet but at least its the right width, only took 3 attempts to get it it the right size ::)

Baloo

Phaeton":3ifsnvbk said:
Is the Vitara chassis still in there Andy or did that get abandoned?

Hi
no the vitara one is still on going, its next to it it in the workshop, an mx5 has crept in there too now ::)

ChaosMS

WOW - what it would be like to have that much space to play in, the missus would never see me again!!!
And its progressing really well - are you putting tube along the sides to stop yourself falling out or are you thinking of a tubular door/brace kind of thing?

Baloo

space can be a curse you know it just attracts more projects ::) ::) ::) ::)

yes door bars will be going in soon still fiddling with the interior so wanted easy access at the moment, i wanted to be able to fit normal sized car seats which ive achived so will start on the cage/door bars next

Baloo

ive just counted i have 6 projects scattered around the place ::) ::) ::) ::) and ive just made an offer on an mgf so it might be 7 soon :eek:
i need to retire soon so i can spend my days finishing them ;)

Danny

Administrator
Yup I moved to teh south coast with everything fitting in a single garage...

I now have 2 big garages, a shed that is bigger than a garage a huge garden and a yard... plus teh driveway of where I live... and I am still after more "space"

Lets not counnt the amount of those storage garden boxes I have around the garden as well as my shed is the only garden shed to not have any gardening tools in it

Baloo

Danny":2ixuaa3m said:
Yup I moved to teh south coast with everything fitting in a single garage...

I now have 2 big garages, a shed that is bigger than a garage a huge garden and a yard... plus teh driveway of where I live... and I am still after more "space"

Lets not counnt the amount of those storage garden boxes I have around the garden as well as my shed is the only garden shed to not have any gardening tools in it

where abouts on the south coast Danny ? i was in Rye on monday anywhere near ?