ChaosMotorSport MKII Buggy Engine Swap Discussion Thread

ChaosMS

Discussion thread for the engine swap on the MKII buggy!

From 1.0L 3 Cylinder to 1.8Turbo 20 Valve GTI........ ;D ;D ;D

ChaosMS

ha ha cheeky bugger!!! - LOL - I am very busy...... Drilling holes in it.... ROFLMAO

Actually ive finished stripping the loom off and marking up all the connectors so I know how it goes back together again, and im going to remove the aircon compressor and steering pump today and hopefully get it cleaned up ready for strip down and paint (plus new seals / cam belt / clutch / gaskets etc

Removed all the secondary air circulation crap too as its not needed for the buggy

Phaeton

Staff member
Stripping & painting, c'mon that's for girls ask Max, get building, want to see it driving.

ChaosMS

I'm working it out Alan dont worry, I might have to do some serious mods to the rear to fit it in though - I am considering making the whole rear frame detachable and building new supports to hold the engine this would make working on it a lot easier but will mean chopping the back of the buggy off!!!

Phaeton

Staff member
ChaosMS":oa5gizxs said:
but will mean chopping the back of the buggy off!!!
And?

Even Danny did it so it can't be that hard, ;D

But that holding of the angle grinder before the first cut is interesting

ChaosMS

ha ha yeah that first cut is going to be the most difficult, the intention is make the whole rear frame come off with suspension and all (I will need to add bracing to do this ) then build out two rails from the bulkhead as they are in the golf which means the engine then slides onto the rails with its original mounts, the frame will then get bolt on connections welded in so that it can be removed easily the driveshafts are of the bolt on flange type not the spline type so it should mean the rear frame can be removed cleanly (need to add a couple of electrical connectors to the bulkhead for the lighting etc.

Will also need to re-locate the radiator in some way too..... hmmmmmm......

Phaeton

Staff member
ChaosMS":31gcyswg said:
f792ff95-004b-4e97-9d99-23b050118057.jpg

1e506aad-1259-4a37-f314-fe5c7771cf42.jpg
I wish there was a mouth wide open gobsmacked smiley you would get 10 in a row

ChaosMS

Cheers Alan, to be honest I got sick and tired of trying to find the correct size adapter and when I started dabbling with the 3d printer it kind of made sense to try and make the new parts for air water and breather - I wont be making turbo adapter pipes as they get too hot and full flow oil would be an issue - the rest should be fine :)

wagon_1.0

Loving the progress, which model engine is it?

if I can be any assistance i have just completed a ARX swap in my MK1 caddy.

ChaosMS

Hi Wagon, its an AUM engine with the k03s turbo and the good ECU that can be played with (will be sending it away soon to have the immo removed)

wagon_1.0

Nice choice. Think I have wiring diagrams plus know a couple of bench mappers to do your immo delete if either help. Might want to consider a copy of vagcom too

ChaosMS

Wagon, yeah both would be useful, could do with finding out what else can be coded out too - as for vagcom yeah i was thinking the same thing

wagon_1.0

I'm running mine kind of standalone, as the mk1 has I'll need to check, but from memory
It'll flag missing abs, Dash, crash sensor.

I have pulled out all the sai second lambda and numerous other bits and it's not limping.

Some things that u might think are important are oil level and oil temp, speed, but the ecu doesn't read them

I'll find u a proper list when I'm not on my phone, but rubjonny on the mk1 golf forum is a real wiring expert and will answer most things.