ChaosMotorSport MKII Buggy Engine Swap Discussion Thread

Danny

Administrator
you will be on the road before me....

I have run out of money for the Mojo at the moment... so I am selling more bits kicking around the unit and will no doubt get back on the case in the next few weeks.

Got plenty of jobs to get on with though so all is not bad

Danny

Administrator
Yeah it is not ideal but got to keep pushing forward

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Phaeton

Staff member
Rich, Don't you think the blue tell-tale is 2mm too far to the right hehehe that's going to be playing on your mind now :D ;D :D ;D

ChaosMS

ha ha ha Damn you Alan, i'm going to be looking at that all the time now!! ill have to get the micrometer out again :D ;D :D ;D

Thanks Danny, still a long way to go but making progress ;D

One bit of annoyance though is I had a damaged spring seat on one of the front shocks so the only way to remove it turned out to be destroying it with a angle grinder, I checked online that I could get a replacement from AVO Shocks and the spring seat was listed as a spare, however once I recieved the new springseat it turned out to have a fractionally smaller thread size (approx 0.4mm smaller) which made it bind up at the top of the thread and after talking to avo (and getting another thread type from them which also didnt fit) they told me that due to the age of my shocks (bought in 2008) they must of changed the thread or (and this was worrying) they said the CNC cutting the springseat and threads on the body could have had worn tooling which intoduced the odd thread!!!!!! - ha ha ha oh dear!

Anyway long story short im now searching for a second hand springseat and / or looking to get some made by a local engineering firm.

wagon_1.0

8839026f-f254-4187-f548-e37dc6f61bb9.jpg

you 3d printed this.....?

ChaosMS

Hi Wagon, yeah its all 3d printed in PETG plastic (I use a blend called EDGE from a company called E3D) its tough as nails and is UV stable so no fading or cracking, im thinking of 3d printing a pod for the warning lights now too - seems to be a lot stronger than ABS so should not have any issues - I have been 3d printing a lot of stuff recently as a mate is re-building a pair of box arch original Audi Quattros - and some of the smaller rubber parts are no longer available, specifically the 8mm hard line fuel line clips which were made from rubber, I have copied the original design and printed (in a form of rubber) a set of prototypes for him which he is going to now have made in bulk.

ChaosMS

Wagon, if you want one to fit to your car I am happy to print one for you bud and stick it in the post! - just let me know and pm me the address and I will get one printed out, choice of colours are black (same as the pic) Red (same as the body of the turbo gauges) and white!!!
I designed it to correctly align the switch so that off or "0" is at the top and you can extract the switch through the front like you can in a vw - its built for a panel thickness of 2-3mm

ChaosMS

Alan, yeah very stiff mate, had to put those in as had an issue with one of the spring seats at the front it was totally knackered and had to be cut off, and when I ordered the replacement part from AVO who made the shocks (and still make the same size) they sent me the parts, and they didnt fit - only response was send em back with the shock and we will machine one to fit, so i didnt bother and got a local place to make me some in the end and they have turned out better than the originals! Just need to re-fit them now :)

ChaosMS

ha ha yeah Wagon, so am I!! just sorting the oil system out now, lots of Teflon hose and AN10 connectors!! will post soon

Phaeton

Staff member
Nice work as usual, I'm struggling to get anything done, I had a working road legal car that I broke :mad:

250buggys

Hi Rich, looking good as always. I see you got some of those LED head lights the same as mine. They are a really good upgrade. Also I like the way you have connected the fuel pump to the filter, that looks really neat. :) :)