ChaosMotorSport MKIII Buggy

ChaosMS

Guys - I've been thinking about the next build!! - It just feels weird that I dont have something to build, dont get me wrong the Chaos Buggy or MKII is running really well but I keep thinking of upgrades that really would work better on a new chassis so Ive started looking for a suitable donor vehicle for the MKIII and started building the chassis in solidworks (well the space model for what needs to go in anyway)

The plan this time is to build a four wheel drive buggy - with a mid engined layout - using a series one AudiTT 180 or 225 Quattro as the donor, looking at the drive train images I can find (and sticking my head under a mates) it would seem possible if a little mental!!

The rear diff (haldex Unit) could be moved to the front and flipped over to make it run the correct way, I would need to rotate the hydraulic clutch system it has to ensure the oil flow is correct but it looks possible from what I can see, all the driveshafts would need to be modified but thats nothing complex, the main technical issue is going to be the prop-shaft drive from the gearbox, and I think I'm going to bring the propshaft under the engine and chain drive it from the existing take off point using 3 or 4 chain width chain similar to those used on a Nissan 4 wheel drive system

And to speed up the construction im going to get the whole lot built in solidworks and send as much as possible to be water cut locally so no more hole saw cutting and masses of grinder and flap wheel work - design all the parts to be cut flat with assembly lugs and then welded together.

Also thinking of building the frame in 3 parts having the centre tub as one and the engine and rear cage and rear suspension as another with front suspension and cage as the final part, problem with this is making it structurally as strong as an un-joined frame I suppose - I need to look at what that could work like and if the stresses on the joints are going to be too high

Anyway these are my initial thoughts - what do you think?

ChaosMS

Well almost completed the design for the Belt Grinder / fish mouthing machine - I'm building this first to make the construction of the MKIII frame easier and more accurate / repeatable

Anyway ordered the motor (2hp 2 pole single phase ) and a thermal cut out starter for it which all arrived today:-
d2208432-61cc-4fb9-8223-062ff5fefde2.jpg

Just waiting for the emergency kill switch and a few other bits like bearings etc which should be here soon - by then i should of finished the design and I can get it water cut (also a good test to see what the water cutting is going to be like and cost)

so far the design looks like this:
e796e9e0-63cc-46de-a446-d4bd08d22f6f.jpg

Still a way to go, I have to sort the pully for the main drive roller at the rear above the motor and a way to tension it and the v belt
bd43bed6-dfb5-4105-dc35-cf5a4e2c64a0.jpg

rear view - top drive roller has a flange each side and will eventually have a 150mm v belt pulley attached
6edc9147-60b9-42d9-8ef8-9f92623d4221.jpg

Top view showing all rollers and the finishing section in the middle (used to clean the tube and edge of the cuts)

Will post more shots of the design soon

Rich

Radar

with the greatest of respect for your amazing build
which has been an awsome thread here ...YOU HAVE DEFINATELY got to much time on your hands !! lol

just my tongue in cheek two cents worth !
Radar

ChaosMS

Ha ha yeah your probably right Radar!! still doing this keeps me out of mischief..... or does it ::)

My ever tolerant and immensely patient better half simply puts it this way:- "At least I know where you are..." ;D ::)

ChaosMS

Hi everyone quick update on the MK3, Ive been busy in the design package again and its starting to take shape now - Ive gone with a open frame again but this time with fixed arches not cycle wings its kind of a cross between a buggy and a jeep, anyway here are a few design renders showing the progress so far, the seats are the same dimensions as the seats in the MK2 buggy so use that as a size reference. I have taken inspiration from a concept vehicle from ford in 2001, apart from the fact their one wasn't mid engine'd and lacked a lot of the structure I have in the outer shell now, the wide sections in the design are actually two sets of 50mm diameter tube with 2mm plate between (All tube in the frame is now 50mm diameter 32mm is only used for some cosmetic structure) - so lots of strength and I think it looks pretty good (but I would wouldn't I)

81517141-ffca-4364-b358-df2aaa514b08.jpg

573ebfe4-2942-461c-ef47-543871a6d7f3.jpg

7afae0cd-0436-441c-9705-6f0a3c3732f8.jpg

Ignore the wheel arch shapes in the following shots they are only in to show the full width of the vehicle and get an idea of the mounting locations
16661c8b-d112-460f-e31f-513de0e61d52.jpg

bcf61ce7-a78f-4ede-fa35-95e8fcad6fec.jpg

ba6a25c0-033b-40d3-814b-458eeb1809b4.jpg

326c4460-d3a6-4876-cb3a-5a2dd819036c.jpg

Still loads to do just to get the outer shell to work before I even touch the interior structure but hopefully you can see where im going with this!!

Rich