coilovers

biddleboy

hi guys can any body help ime after a pair of coilovers to run on the front of my freestyle does anybody know were i can get some from or as any of you got some for sale

collie

I thought you could get coilovers from any of the Online Mini Spares places?
Or is it me being daft?  :-[

Question: Didn't the Bike engined freestyle have coilovers on the front?

Phaeton

Staff member
Simon will be along shortly I'm sure to confirm, but I think they are just the standard rears.

Alan...

biddleboy

thanks max your a life saver dont need to buy the springs as i will use the ones that come with the freestyle are these the ones for the rear then as from the picture they have two fixing eyes instead of the eye at the bottom and the nut at the top of the shock

Phaeton

Staff member
Does say images for illustration only, but might be worth a call/email to make sure.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

The part number from another topic is 150/100/B12 and thats what it says on the page. I've seen some where the top mount is offset due to clearance for the rear on the mini, so you'd have to buy 1 left shock and 1 right shock, just to be on the safe side.
Max :D

jason_l

Hmmmm. looks like i may have to invest in these at some point also. I asume the standard springs will fit on these ok?  ???

I need some for the rear as well so might have to try a set of these with different rated springs  :-X

Mini Mad Max

Yeah the normal buggy springs fit straight over, They are too expensive for me at the moment and will make me more work if i do buy them, I will end up modding my suspension to get better travel eventually.
Max

esdebe

I used Spax coilovers with 90LB springs, one thing to makes sure you do is reinforce the place where you bolt them to the chassis, I used two lengths of large angle iron that I bolted to the flat area where the tabs used to be.

I believe that the R1 buggy took this a step further and welded in some new longer lugs.

I recall him using a photo he took of mine in his post somewhere.

Simon

jason_l

Is it not best to have 2 fixing points, one for each strut. Rather than have a single fixing point in the centre? Thats what Biddleboy has done and thats what im planning on doing when i convert to coily's on the front ;)

Jason

JAMIE B.

jason_l":3rayhx1x said:
Is it not best to have 2 fixing points, one for each strut. Rather than have a single fixing point in the centre? Thats what Biddleboy has done and thats what im planning on doing when i convert to coily's on the front ;)

Jason

My understanding is that the forces from each side almost cancel each other out, why over engineer your buggy when weight is an issue ?

jason_l

JAMIE B.":1juzwjza said:
jason_l":1juzwjza said:

Jason

My understanding is that the forces from each side almost cancel each other out, why over engineer your buggy when weight is an issue ?

Guess so, i have bought the same plates that biddleboy has with the two point fixings.
Was going to do it with two so that the coilovers line up with one another rather than sharing the same shaft and one twisted forward and one twisted back. It will add a little weight but not that much, and i don't want to try and weight save on important parts, ie suspendion/brakes etc

esdebe

The top arms are usually made with an offset expecting them to be mounted one infront of the other....

Simon