Composite body panels

jason_l

Hi All,

Just ordered a sheet of composite material to make my new body panels from  ;D

I have ordered a sheet 1500x3000mm as thats the smallest they would do, i will have plenty left over.

It consists of 0.5mm aluminium, 2mm rubber and 0.5mm aluminium sandwiched together. Its very light but also very strong. It comes pre coated in a black finish, one side is matt and one side is gloss so have the choice to have either! It can easily be drilled, routed, cut etc and im planning on using it all over the car!

Will maybe be selling off the remains once i have used what i need

Jason :p

jason_l

HolyCount":eknnowae said:
Just make up two of everything  ;D

Already thinking that  ;D Im sure someone would want a set of them  ;) Think im going to go for the matt black colour facing outwards.............stealth  :D

To anyone else wanting any of this stuff i highly recommend it, comes in loads of finishes, including brushed aluminium, metalic colours, marble effect and is pretty hard wearing. I think they use it to clad buildings and petrol stations with so will last!

jason_l

HolyCount":2c6t4d7a said:
Do they have any details onlione -- fancy a peek ???

Got it from a company called Rightons. Just do a search for 'Rightons composite' and you can't miss it.

I can easily seny you a small sample piece if you want to see what its like?

Mini Mad Max

You wanna do something like aeroplanes, 1mm of fibreglass stuck to 1mm of thin alluminium. I saw it on that Richard Hammond thingamy bob.
Max ( ;))

Angel Boy

Jason,
Being cheeky, how much was it for the sheet you got?  Are you using it for the floor also?

Cheers,
Andy

HolyCount

Might grab some to make an extra Bulkhead twixt passenger compartment and tank -- as new regs state tank can't be in passenger comp. or engine comp. -- so will have to make a self contained compartment, sealed from the passenger comp.  just for the tank --- with a drain in the floor  :-\

jason_l

Angel Boy":2jl1giu2 said:
Jason,
Being cheeky, how much was it for the sheet you got?  Are you using it for the floor also?

Cheers,
Andy

It was £50 plus Vat, so £57 in total, its pretty strong but i wouldn't recomend using it for the floor as it will just bend. Will be fine for panels, firewall, nosecone etc.

HolyCount

jason_l":2l43fodq said:
Angel Boy":2l43fodq said:
Jason,

Cheers,
Andy

It was £50 plus Vat, so £57 in total, its pretty strong but i wouldn't recomend using it for the floor as it will just bend. Will be fine for panels, firewall, nosecone etc.

Better than I thought it might be ---- I take it you collected ? Handy stuff to have around I would think.

jason_l

HolyCount":166il09k said:
jason_l":166il09k said:
Angel Boy":166il09k said:
Jason,

Cheers,
Andy

Better than I thought it might be ---- I take it you collected ? Handy stuff to have around I would think.

No they delivered it for FREE! Don't think they normally do it for free but my work ordered some other stuff so they said the delivery would be free for me as it would be coming alltogether. Funily enough though the lorry turned up this morning and it only had my order on it, so now they have to come out agian tomorrow with the other order. Looks like i blagged that one! :)

Its not bad stuff to be honest, pretty light and its already pre painted so no finishing needed. Going to go round the edges with titan fast just to be certain but should be fine :)

The sheet actually looks smaller than you think, i sat there for 5 minutes looking at it and im not sure how much i will have left over! i need to make front nosecone, side panels, dash panel, under nose cone panel, rear firewall, petrol tank seperation piece, possibley few engine cover bits and was going to make the top secret side vents from this stuff but i think they are going to be fibreglass/carbon now  :p

Asbo

hey jason,that sounds very similair to the panels ive made for mine. got mine from a sign company i used to work for,sold as 'di-bond' to the sign industry. we used to bin skiploads of it when we removed signs from finished home building sites,might be worth asking a local sign company if they have any for the bin. only drawback might be removing rivets/panels be left with holes in/vynil letters and pics to remove.

jason_l

wulliecosse":14edwtfo said:
hey jason,that sounds very similair to the panels ive made for mine. got mine from a sign company i used to work for,sold as 'di-bond' to the sign industry. we used to bin skiploads of it when we removed signs from finished home building sites,might be worth asking a local sign company if they have any for the bin. only drawback might be removing rivets/panels be left with holes in/vynil letters and pics to remove.

Hi Wullie, think its probably the same stuff if not very similar. I know its the stuff that they use to clad petrol stations roof's with.