crankshaft seal

tofty55

hi all.. just joined and wondering and hoping someone can help...i have just bought a 2006 gs moon 260 cc and it didn't start when i bought it,,,i have since managed to get it running and after a while of idling it started to leak around the crankshaft..i ordered a new seal and while waiting for it to arrive i removed the cover and variator thing and saw the seal so removed it quite easily so not sure if the guy had used sealant or not,but low and behold inside was the old seal which i presume he could not get out and it has gone over the lip and up against the chain sprocket..it's quite chewed up so presume he had a go at it an couldn't remove it so i have tried a lot and the same for me...was wondering if it will harm anything if i leave it in there or do i have to strip the engine down to get it out..i have tried all sorts of bent wire and hooks and just about everything...cheers tofty tried to attach a photo but keeps aying error...

Phaeton

Staff member
Sorry not going to really help with the specifics for the GS never had one, but I would think that leaving it there is not going to do any good, it needs to come out. Difficult to imagine what it looks like, if you can't upload the image might be to big so try reducing the size, failing that upload it to https://imgbb.com/ then copy/post the link.

Welcome BTW

250buggys

The usual trick is to get a self tapper in then get a pair of mole grips on it just like you do to get old wall plugs out.

Failing that tap it out with a drift.

I replaced my spigot bearing a little while ago and everyone always seems to struggle with that and the method suggested was to use grease to pop it out. I thought that was a waste of good grease so I got the head of a bolt in and behind and with a big washer used a ratchet and it popped out more or less straight away.

Just shows you don't always need special tools.

Failing that brute force should do it.

tofty55

hi again everyone managed to get the seal out with help from yourselves and screwdrivers and screws and bent wire and loads of swearing new seal in and all running now,,no leaks... cheers just one other question,,,are there any fuses apart from the big one as i can't seem to make the brake lights work...bulbs are all ok and it has had a new master cylinder complete with brake switch,,,assuming that is ok...hope you can assist again cheers tofty

250buggys

Probably a bad connection somewhere. The quickest way would be to use a multimeter and check you are getting 12 Volts to the switch and if not use continuity setting to buz all the connections out.

Glad you got the seal out and didn't let it beat you :)

tofty55

i have a multimeter but i'm not very electrically minded but will give it a go,will keep you all informed with my little problems cheers again tofty