CV Joint / Half Shaft

GuyF

Hello, is this right place to post about a problem i have with a CV joint / Half Shaft???

GuyF

Thanks,
from the engine, the chain turns the sprocket, then the axle spins, but you can see there is a weld that has snapped, hence no power to the actual wheels.
I was hoping to add a couple of pics to explain a bit easier, but can't see the option!!
can you DM me so i could maybe send them another way?
cheers.

GuyF

sorry! i didnt see that option.

please see attached photos...

be glad of your feedback.

Guy.

Attachments

• 20190804_181343_resized.jpg
    20190804_181343_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5,915
  • 20190804_181408_resized.jpg
    20190804_181408_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5,915

Phaeton

Staff member
Okay first things first, I know nothing about these buggies as most of us here have Freestyles a car based kit built buggy rather than a bought one.

But on saying that what is the other side like, as the suspension goes up & down the driveshaft length has to change, it increases/decreases over each bump. Is this a method of changing the shaft length & if you unbolt it should it have some splines inside, or as you say should it just be welded.

GuyF

the other side is similar, just a bit shorter
yes, i can see a 'shiny tube' inside. I guess thats the splines you are referring to?
do you know if these are readily available? if so where do i start looking?
cheers.

Phaeton

Staff member
Sorry as said I know very little about these, do you know the make/model can Google be your friend? If you strip it down, especially if you both sides & take it to a local engineering shop they maybe able to make you one/pair just thinking if you have both sides they might be able to use one as a template for the other. Doesn't look too hard a job to strip, half shaft splits on a plate so no gearbox oil loss.

GuyF

OK thanks.
It's a GS Moon. 2007 model, so it's quite old. But it has a 600cc Yamaha FZR bike engine in (apparently!!)
i've tried quite a few local mechanics, but car guys are not interested because it's not a car, and bike guys are not interested because it's not a bike!!!
i'll get it off first. then see if google can help...
cheers