Danny's K Series Conversion Project

Danny

Administrator
After a couple of hours at the garage i worked out why my spare wheel would not fit. The hub needs a to have a brake disk to space it out so i have ordered a spacer to go in and that should fix that.

I also worked out that there was a bad engine earth which i think i have solved now.

Started putting panels back and what not but also have a slight water leak from a hose underneath the car which i will fix after stoneleigh.
fabea5111bd516a612351b92440ad753.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Danny

Administrator
Well at last we exchanged today.... aiming to complete on the 1st of may so that it is easier for the people who rent our offices to pay us :D

It has taken about 18 months from start to finish to get this far but it is a good thing :D The garage you see in the pictures above is now mine 100% and so I dont need to worry about being kicked out :D I also own the yard so I now have space to sore a few more cars and also behind this I own a garden which has a huge shed and in the next 5 years I hope to build a house on there :D

For now I will rebuild the shed into something a bit better and make it more useful for my kit car projects :D

I may well be able to stand a chance in getting some sleep now :D I am officially skint as well so anybody wanna buy me a beer at stoneleigh feel free :D

Danny

Administrator
got time to have a go at the buggy today :D

Got the center console fitted and then the seats went in :D

Then I decided to run her to temp... engine ran for 10 mins then stuttered and died... Out of fuel!!!

Came back this evening filed her up and she ran great!! Sorted the exhaust mount out and have just superglued teh edge trim on the chequerplate panels.

Going to tax it at the end of the week and see how she goes... not sure if anything does go wrong if I will have the time to put it right :D

Danny

Administrator
After Stoneleigh I have decided I need to do a few little teeny weeny jobs on the buggy ready for wales :D

• Replace Fuel Filter
    Induction Kit
    4 new tyres
    Seat wings to hold me in better
    Sort digi dash out
    Speed cameras(Dash)
    Oil pressure (dash)
    Tighten everything
    Longer pipe underneath coolant pipes
    Replace rubber seals in side boxes
    Cut opening wider on boxes
    Desharpen internal screws (boxes
    Grease steering column
    Scuff front number plate <=== cough cough

The air filter arrived today and does not look too bad to be honest... (photos to follow) I am going to put it in the void near the wheel arch which should look ok and fill a space.

Danny

Administrator
Welll

I have been tinkering a bit :D

I have sussed out the wiring for the oil pressure gauge so just need to run a wire from front to back and then we are good :D hope that the special sensor fits without too many problems :D

And that is it :D

Danny

Administrator
Well I started today doing some jobs on the buggy!!!

The first job was to finally get the oil pressure guage working.... I got sent all the bits for it and it was a complete faff to do and I spent most of the day doing it but it worked in the end :D

I also got my K&N air filter fitted as well... not in the best place to be honest but it will do for now until I can suss out a better place. I then spent the next few hours just tinkering and tidying up around the buggy and bolting stuff back together.

I have to fit a 22 meter fence next week in the garden and after that I can then start looking at building my shed... well I say shed... it will be about 5meters long by about 4.5 meters wide :D

Danny

Administrator
Well after the recent trip back from wales on a recovery truck I decided to change a few things here and there and hope that I fix the problem.

seeing as we are not entirely sure what is causing the problem and seems to only come when the engine has been cruising I decided to change the ignition coil and the crank position sensor. These cost pennies and were an easy job :D

I have confirmed the fuel pump and fuel filter are all good so we can write them off...

The other thing that I think may be causing it is that the engine is really closed in with chequer plate and I wonder if it is getting too hot in there and maybe the fuel is boiling....

I did notice on the wales trip that the car was taking a far bit of time to cool down so I will be adding a 8 inch fan (anybody got one) to the engine bay t assist with the air removal and I will be cutting grooves into all of the panels to all the air to get out easier and hope and prey that resolves the issues :D

On a side not if I have fixed the problem already then the buggy is pretty much ready for stoneleigh now :D

If I have resolved it I will be cleaning and then maybe getting a bubble and then start building my shed so that the buggy can go on holiday there then I will have time to start looking at the MOJO

Danny

Administrator
I was chatting to my Uncle last night and he has suggested maybe the ECU was getting rather hot...

It makes sense based on its location... how do you think I could cool it down?

Danny

Administrator
Took the buggy for its MOT today....

It passed but it was not good....

On teh way there I hit a pothole and broke my wheel arch bracket... so that now needs welding... fun!!

Then on the way home I notices that the temperature gauge was fluttering and also the fans were not kicking in!!!

I am hoping it is a temperature sender that has gone on the blink!!! However, the engine bay was raging hot today so I am going to definiately finds some ways to vent the engine bay...

So the list of jobs continues!!!

Danny

Administrator
RIght I have been busy :D

So since the MOT I have replaced the temp sensor switch and cut a massive hole in the rear panel of the buggy and fitted a fan :D

I have wired it but my soldering iron shit itself so I need to finish that off tomorrow :D

Danny

Administrator
Well I have been pottering about with .y buggy.

I have moved the ecu you and the fuel pump and filter.

I have also found the break in the wire that caused so many problems in wales. A connector within the loom had literally pulled itself apart...

Wiring in the obd port properly tomorrow and should have it all back running again... with a bit of luck
d9753ef8bf9ef2b5ef6990b04de98512.jpg
d7f580c52db1cf8354061d6d48298665.jpg
85a1cfc7b397b6254902104f920070ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Danny

Administrator
I spent yesterday wiring in the obd port on the buggy and I thought it would take most of the day to do right. Which it did.

Running the cables so they look like they should takes time but my god how easy is using connectors now with a ratchet crimping tool.

I also powder coated a bra key I have budged up to hold the fuel pump and filter.

The next thing was to look at other possible reasons why the buggy hesitates when it is hot and one thing that has come up a few times is that when the engine gets hot the plastic throttle body distorts and especially the case with after market air filters. The jubilee clip that holds the air filter on distorts the body and it starts to stick

Another option is the throttle position sensor is on the blink or is going to cock when it gets hot

So £63 later I have bought a genuine brand new 52mm alloy throttle body which comes with a new throttle position sensor.

Once that is fitted all I am going to do is cut holes in my side panels and maybe fit some fans to suck some air in to the engine bay and hopefully thay will aid with keeping the temperature down in the engine bay.

fadcecf282e6a4939983d1abc4662212.jpg
67ad12400bc1cf433b00dc99f56a2e3e.jpg
93cba27ebb495c0ead834a297834d7d9.jpg

Danny

Administrator
Hoping this solves a problem.... it will make a nice induction sound apparently the extra 4mm in diameter increases by 17% over the the standard 48mm
0e686d9224811a18cf41156f40ada647.jpg

Danny

Administrator
What a absolute cock of a day....

I borrowed my friends snap on scanner so figured it was a good time to double check my obd wiring and make sure all was well. That was the plan for the day.... that's it.

Well the reader could not read and after about an hour I realised that I was not hearing the relays click and the fuel pump run... cock the ecu was not getting power.

I spent hours with a multi meter buzzing out wires and check earths and looking for lives...

then a quick call to phaeton and boom we find one of the lives is dead... so a bot of digging and we find another connector has shit itself...

New connector and all is well in the world. A quick rebuild and and double check my ecu and I cleared the codes.

So my next day on the buggy is thursday and hopefully the throttlebody will be there so I can fit that and get it running.

4a38b324b0fa6fb7b604869a1c2ecc69.jpg

Danny

Administrator
Well all my parts have arrived so fingers crossed on thursday (i only have thursday) will have it all back together again :D

Danny

Administrator
I managed to get a full day in the garage yesterday and I got the throttle body fitted and tidied the wiring up.

I then went to fit the fuel pump and filter and my connector snapped so I had to do what I can only call a bodge....

I need to get from 6mm tube to 3/8 and I have very little space.

I was meant to be working on the car today but my god the weather is horrific and I cant keep the garage doors open
9e77bc4a65e0187c193b47846b525a6f.jpg

Danny

Administrator
Got te side panels drilled and the mesh applied today which is handy...

Just need to mount my air filter better and then bolt it all together and give it a damn good clean ready for stoneleigh

I used a graphics program to make a template to layout the holes and it also helps with dot punching the centers
7c40bb670c13277a0032c43432fec7a5.jpg
9759981cf22ae1e0ff438489de41bd88.jpg
f8d8bede57daa52e8d87f29893c6aa1e.jpg
e696809f6c879f7b430c58a8c8254ebc.jpg
3b0e00de1b9e7b16413998226c8c10b3.jpg
8b388abe99fcc272a904e658d338e816.jpg
18f5220e0efe5c411208bb57a1d71949.jpg

Danny

Administrator
I had to move my air filter as I have never liked that it was outside the car and also if I ever need to take the side panel off I had to remove the air filter.

To get the air filter to sit in a place that I wanted I worked out all the bits I needed. The first hurdle was getting from 76mm of the air filter to the 70mm of the throttle body. I also needed a bend in it to get the air filter past the expansion bottle.

Ordered a load of bits to do this then realised that I could have done it in one move with a reducing 45 degree silicone tube. So I cancelled everything and ordered that.

20191018_112843.jpg

Also meant I did not need to make a bracket to support the air filter as the silicone tube does a great job.

Danny

Administrator
The next job was to get the fuel pump and filters wired and plumbed up.

This is where phaeton stepped in to point out I had plumbed my fuel pump and filters wrong.

Originally fuel came from the tank through the filter through the fuel pump and off to the injectors.

Phaeton told me the filter need to go after the pump... I was concerned about the fuel pump getting damaged due to crap fuel rather than thinking about of the fuel pump scrapped it self and dumped the contents into the injectors.

So I switched the plumbing round and then fitted an inline paper filter before the fuel pump....

20191019_144030.jpg

I plumbed it all in and went to fire up the buggy but fuel was not getting through to the fuel pump...

I have ordered a none return valve which I will put just after the fuel tank and I need to prime the pump I think or should I say hope!!!