Donor vehicle

oneandoneis2

In my continuing effort to persuade myself that it's possible to build a buggy with no space but a single garage, some questions :wink:

Firstly: Are there any major reasons why you NEED a donor vehicle? It appears you can buy the necessary subframe unit from breakers, and virtually everything else new or reconditioned. Potentially more expensive, but having mostly-new parts can't be a bad thing, after all..

Secondly, given that it'll be at least a few months until I'm ready to buy: Should I stick with the Mini or go with the new Rover model? I was originally tempted by the idea of the larger K-series on the basis that.. well, it's got bigger numbers than the mini :wink: But then I wonder if it's more power than it's really worth having, and the sheer availability of mini parts & tuning options is staggering - I looked at a catalogue of mini parts this weekend, I swear you could build a 99% complete new car just from the replacement parts! They even sell complete new bodies...

Any thoughts appreciated!

Phaeton

Staff member
I asked the very same question before I started about this time last year, you might want to read the replies HERE I did in the end go out & buy a donor however I was thinking about this the other day how much of the donor is really there now.

Steering coloum both inner & outer
Bottom arms at front
Top arms at front
Tie Bars
Brake Master Clyinder
Headlight Switch
Fog Light Switch
Switch Surround
Clutch, Brake & Accelerator Pedals
Wiring Harness
Gearchange Mechanism
Front calipers
Front Hubs
Front Discs
Wheel nuts
Rear Brake Backplates

That I think is the full list bar one item but to be fair, it should have had the engine from the donor but it let me down, (lost all oil pressure).

But the most important thing is something I didn't put on that list & that is the V5C without it it makes it harder to SVA & register.

Alan...

iank

If you don't care about having a Q reg there is only one reason to get a donor (as Alan hints) and that is proving the engine age by using a donor V5 and thus avoiding a harsher emissions test. As Rover is tango uniform you can't get a letter from them saying when the engine was made which is the usual trick with Ford etc.

Having bought a donor it's a lot of work to strip and I'm having to refurbish almost everything as mine was in a bit of a state. Oh how many hours I've 'happily' spent getting covered in cr*p while struggling against rusty bolts. It also takes up a lot of space while you are being medieval with it.

In retrospect I don't think I'd bother with a donor if I do this again.

On the subject of the K series version. Firstly it isn't here yet, best talk to Dave to get an idea of when it will be done (and take any estimates with a small pinch of salt - he's on his own and a flood of orders will probably get priority). Secondly there is no such thing as too much power :twisted: certainly getting an A series up to even small K series outputs is a lot of money (if talking real bhp rather than pub bhp), getting 5 speeds in the box is more again. Metro donors will also be a lot cheaper than a mini of anything like similar condition.

oneandoneis2

I knew there was another question! If you use a subframe from an old car and everything else is new, is that enough to get a new registration number, or do they consider a subframe too much to qualify?

Sounds like it's at least feasible to do it without a donor car then.. shall have to look into it!

Cheers

iank

"oneandoneis2"":1ewoj584 said:
I knew there was another question! If you use a subframe from an old car and everything else is new, is that enough to get a new registration number, or do they consider a subframe too much to qualify?

Sounds like it's at least feasible to do it without a donor car then.. shall have to look into it!

Cheers

To get a new registration (xx07 xxx) you need 'everything new' except for one item that is reconditioned to as new (normally the engine or gearbox).

So if you mean just the metal frame that is the subframe you'd be fine with a quick coat of paint, if you mean the subframe, engine, gearbox, suspension etc. then that is too much (IMO) for a new reg. But reading about the way the DVLA works you'd probably be in with a slim chance depending on who you ask.

esdebe

If you want an 07 / 57 plate new you will be subject to the lower emmisions too (need to have a cat).

If you buy all the bits and build without a donor / v5c you will need to prove the age of your engine to get the SVA and MOT guys to test it at the relevant levels in the case of an A series engine this is contacting the motor heritage people wiht your engine number.

Simon

hmalan

If you don't have a V5, as I don't, you can obtain a letter from the British Motor Heritage association, costs £15, and they will verify the age of your engine from the engine number.

This is supposed to be acceptable for SVA purposes

Paul

I have a number of V5 mini documents for sale from vehicles which i have owned in the past which could help with registration. Obviously i couldn't condone any use of them other than to display on your garage wall.