Fan

Danny

Administrator
Hello,

On my old engine (yes I am on my 3rd) I had a sucky mechanical fan however I cant for the life of me find it the garage... and for those that has seen my garage its pretty tidy but I have a few garages...

So I bought a mg fan and it was the wrong one didnt fit but I cant remember if I bought thesprite or the midget so I now dont know which one I need to find again

Any ideas? Also if anybody has got the one I need an you post it to my olds and I can paypoo money or sort it out at a show.

by the way my buggy is going to be my mode of transport when I get back for a few weeks until I can get a normal car.... I like car shopping

Cheers

Danny

Mini Mad Max

I have a couple of plastic 11 blade fans? Are these the ones you mean?
11-BLADE.jpg

Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Far from it be my place to tell the site owner how to use the search function, BUT,

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!

If you put "sucky fan" (your own words) in the SEARCH function it will bring up a post by 'erm YOU! in which Simon informs me they are available from Moss car parts.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Alan...

wurzell

Early Sprite/Midget fans (for the Vertical Flow type Radiators) are exactly the same, part number AEA301, 2 Blade Fan, doubled up to make a 4 Blade Fan.
Also used on A30, A40, Morris Minor, etc, etc, ad nauseum...
Later 6 Blade Fan is 12G1597, for the Crossflow type Radiator, not sure if this will fit, best use the Early one's..
You'll probably have to use the correct width Spacer 12A312, or the Wide Spacer 12G2452, or a combination of the two, to space the Blades correctly, away from the Cylinder Head and Water Pump.....
I have all of the above, kicking around in my Workshop somewhere, if you get stuck...

Personally, I would'nt recommend a "Sucky Fan", just fills the Rad Gills up with crud, and there's always the risk of a small child, or stray animals being sucked in............. ::)

Danny

Administrator
Hiya Jon,

Thanks for that the part number is what I needed makes the search a whole lot easier.

I agree that the sucky fan is not ideal but it seemed to be teh only thing that kept my other engine cool.... mine is/was runnning ok but on long journeys it stilll works up a heat... so I may find like some fine mesh to put round it and see how that goes.

I might get back to you if I cant find one....

cheers

danny

Cheers

Buggybloke

H, all .....Can anyone post a wiring diagram for wiring up a standard Mini electric fan (open classic type), with an adjustable thermostatic switch,and relay please?.... ???

Many greatful thanks ;D

Matt (got all the bits) ::)

Phaeton

Staff member
Does the thermostatic switch have any rating on it? It maybe possible just to wire the switch in direct without a relay depending on the rating & current draw of the fan.

Alan...

Buggybloke

no values on the switch, as far as I can see, the fan's original wires are still in place, and only seem to be the 'normal' 17amp sort of size,.... so not sure whether it'd need a relay or not.... will it still work if I do fit one (a relay), even if it doesn't need one?

wurzell

Thats the 1275 Sprite/Midget CROSSFLOW Rad Fan...
Would guess that it is probably too wide/thick to be used with a Mini/Vertical flow Rad & cowling.
Also, being six bladed their REALLY noisy, they howl something chronic the more you rev the engine!
Class that one as a later, SUCKY fan..
Still reckon that 12G1305, the 11 blade plastic Mini Fan is the one to use, it's efficient, quiet, readily available, and CHEAP!
Also check out 12G2452, basically exactly the same Fan, except with wider blades, so slightly more efficient..
Or there is also the 6 bladed 2A998 Export/Overseas/hot climate Fan, though again these are VERY noisy.

With your fitted Exhaust Box, you might need to watch the Decibels, Dan?!...........

Danny

Administrator
hmmm I see what your saying, I have a sucky electric on it at the moment so changing that to blow what be a bitch and also more money than a £20 plastic fan....

I am not worried about noise ....lol

Danny