Freestyle and trailer

Lilspeed

Danny":jwt65oct said:
another one where the welds have cracked :-(

over priced though...

Same trailer as mine, they usually fetch best part of a grand so could be a good buy :-\

250buggys

Got the winning bid on this freestyle- picking it up V soon.

@Lilspeed, can you give me some pointers on getting this through the IVA please? I recon your an expert on the paper work side...

@ Danny, i'll be after some parts, do you have a spare wheel bracket please or the CAD drawings if pos

@ anyone-else/Alan is there any history on this buggy pls, pics, post etc?

Cheers
Chris

Lilspeed

Congrats on your purchase Chris!
So you're going for IVA! Fair play, it's not easy I'll admit, but the satisfaction of knowing it's all pukka and done properly makes up for the sweating and swearing!

Right, my first piece of advice is - gather as much paperwork as you can about your buggy. Receipts, invoices or V5s with your chassis number/engine number on will help the registration process with DVLA. I also kept receipts for all the major parts I purchased for the project. I think basically you need to be able to prove to DVLA that the buggy and all it's parts are legally yours.

Regarding the IVA, the main issues for me were fuel tank and sharp edges. Get yourself a copy of the manual, a cup of tea (possibly something stronger ;D ) and get stuck in! Helps to make friends with your local testing station too, in my experience they're happy to chat and advise.

Good luck with your build, and hopefully we can help you get another one on the road! :)

Phaeton

Staff member
250buggys":33b4n2mq said:
do you have a spare wheel bracket please

I have one here Chris looking for a new home that is not the scrapman, send me a pm with your address & I'll get it down to you for the cost of postage.

Well done on getting the buggy, as you're going for IVA figure on failing the 1st time & then having a list to work from, it's a bit of a joke really as their main concern is sharp edges, as to any prior knowledge the buggy is unknown to me, it looks like one of Dave Smarts as it has the longer mirror brackets & pendulum pedal box.

''Left a Bit''

Danny":2c7zxci4 said:
another one where the welds have cracked :-(

over priced though...

There's no real triangulation in the upper half of the frame that takes the loads, hence they're not very stiff at all, I would guess most will go there at some point.

250buggys

Up at 04:20 to pick up the buggy 6 hour round trip but well worth it.

Been after a freestyle for ages, so now have a great project to crack on with. Was really after a road legal variant but the included trailer will be handy to get it to the test centre & certanly helped me to get it back home.

Thanks Alan for your offer of the spare wheel bracket, will make a shopping list and see what else I need then will get back to you, cheers for the help.

Thanks lilspeed, the IVA will be mega hardwork I know but will be worth it in the end. Nice to have someone for guidance and to bounce ideas off.

Can't believe how many freestyles have been up for sale on ebay this year, like buses!all fetching fairly good money.

Lilspeed

Excellent! Looking forward to a new build thread to read :)
Get some pics up!

There does seem to have been a few buggies changing hands recently. Personally I'm always surprised how little money they go for. There seems to be a steady stream of people on here looking for them, and since I've been driving mine to shows I've spoken to loads of people who say they've always wanted one. Considering how rarely they normally come up for sale I'd have thought demand might drive prices up.

Wishful thinking maybe!

250buggys

You are right, especially when you think how much the build cost would total, the sale is much less in that respect.