Freestyle GT Discusion thread

jason_l

Hi All,

Hope this is the right place to post this but i thought it best to open a dicusion thread about my GT build as i wouldn't mind a few peoples opinions.

Today at 10:30 i get a phone call from James @ ToyotaGT and they have already begun work on the buggy, even though its not booked in for a few weeks yet  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway, they have offered up the engine and it doesn't fit, nor does it look like its going to fit! It needs another 6 inch's. I have given them the go ahead to widen the buggy by six inch's at the back. This will probably mean me widening the front also. Becasue of the extra width i have also decided to lengthen the thing. Around a foot will be getting added to the length of the buggy.

What we have planned is to cut the mini subframe in half and add the six inch's in the middle. The frame at the back will be modified and widened. Also another compartment will be added between the mini subframe and passenger compartment to create a specific fuel tank compartment. This will give the fuel tank a fully firewalled compartment and will mean i can have a fuel cap built into the side of the buggy.

While im modifying the back im also going to convert the suspension to coilovers and get rid of the rubber doughnuts.

Feels like the project has gone backwards a bit but should be back on track soon.  ???

Is there anything else that should be added/changed while im cutting the thing to pieces?

Jason :p

iank

Have you got a firm quote for the work, sounds like it'll be very expensive.
Which Toyota engine is it?  a lot of them have been stuffed in the front of mini's so I'd have though only the back end would need mods - the width of the car should stay the same IMO.

e.g. http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic ... 54&start=0

If it really is going to be that much work, I think seriously consider selling the freestyle frame and buying a Blitz KR3 or their new Joyrider (fnarr fnarr)

http://www.blitzworld.co.uk/content.php?categoryId=188
http://www.blitzworld.co.uk/products.php?productId=340

Probably cheaper in the long run.

jason_l

Thanks Ian,

Its the 4EFTE i have to put in, i have seen it done several times on a mini but i believe it sits quite high up.

Im not keen on the blitz to be honest and i have come so far with this project that a small thing like this isn't going to make me give up  :eek:

Can't really sell the frame anyway as its gone past that point already!  :eek: The guys at TGT don't mess about.

They called me at 10:30 to confirm the go ahead to widen the frame, i called them back at just after 11 to have another quick chat. By this point the rear of the car had already been cut off and the mini subframe was in the process of being butchered.

Cost really isn't an issue, i don't have loads of money but im sort of sponsored by them so all the work is being done at £20ph and they wan't to use the buggy as one of their show pieces so i know they ain't going to mess it up. ::)

Jason :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Jason,

Don't want to piss on your bonfire as I can see you're committed to getting this engine into a Freestyle. But just a couple of points which I hope are worthy of consideration, both really about the increase in track & using the Mini subframe & suspension. You know the situation & if you're happy that's all that matters, I'm just concerned that your builders are keeping the increase in track as it's easier for them as they want to keep as much Toyota running gear as possible. The other thing is if I was going to increase the track by 6" & change to coil-overs, I personally would ditch the whole Mini subframe & suspension & start again with a custom backend. Maybe even use the struts & wishbones from the Starlet, don't know if it has any form of subframe/engine cradle.

As I said not trying to dampen your enthusiasm but assist with the progress.

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":1a6nrptc said:
Jason,

Don't want to piss on your bonfire as I can see you're committed to getting this engine into a Freestyle. But just a couple of points which I hope are worthy of consideration, both really about the increase in track & using the Mini subframe & suspension. You know the situation & if you're happy that's all that matters, I'm just concerned that your builders are keeping the increase in track as it's easier for them as they want to keep as much Toyota running gear as possible. The other thing is if I was going to increase the track by 6" & change to coil-overs, I personally would ditch the whole Mini subframe & suspension & start again with a custom backend. Maybe even use the struts & wishbones from the Starlet, don't know if it has any form of subframe/engine cradle.

As I said not trying to dampen your enthusiasm but assist with the progress.

Alan...

Thanks for reply Alan and it helps me loads if other members have their opinions. At the end of the day you guys know the freestyle better than me so all helps out.

I did mention to them that maybe we make a new subframe from scratch and they said that two of them had thought about it and had weighed up both options. Im keeping all the mini running gear at the back as i have the uprated tie bars, rose joints etc.
What they are doing is cutting the mini subframe in half, adding six inch's to the middle then welding it back together. They know im keen to keep the mini gear as i want to keep to 13 inch wheels.
The starlet doesn't really have a removable subframe so this is the simplest and cheapest option.

Obviously i will be widening the front to match and swapping the front to coilovers also.

Im pretty sure they know what they are doing but im going up there on saturday to have a look and discuss it further.

Keep the idea's coming people, maybe i should change the name from Freestyle GT to Freestyle XXL  :D

Mini Mad Max

I don't think you should lengthen the buggy by a foot, 4 inches would be adequate. My dad worked for jaguar in days gone by, and when they did one of their models, the limmo version was only 4 inches longer, that's all you need. When i start talking numbers, Its easy to say them and dismiss how big or small they really are! I keep having to think when looking at things, how big would a pile of ten pound notes equivilant to that be. So just take out a ruler or a tape measure and just take it into account. 6 inches wider sounds a lot to me, so does a foot!
You did say they put starlet engines in minis in the past, but did they have to make the front of the mini wider, or at least the subframe?
Otherwise, i think that you will be making a mean machine. Latest VW Golf does 0-60 in 6.5 secs and has 147bhp/tonne. You are aiming for 150-170 bhp. That's about 330bhp/tonne at most! LOADS!!!! :D
Max

jason_l

Mini Mad Max":4p6rk4lv said:
I don't think you should lengthen the buggy by a foot, 4 inches would be adequate. My dad worked for jaguar in days gone by, and when they did one of their models, the limmo version was only 4 inches longer, that's all you need. When i start talking numbers, Its easy to say them and dismiss how big or small they really are! I keep having to think when looking at things, how big would a pile of ten pound notes equivilant to that be. So just take out a ruler or a tape measure and just take it into account. 6 inches wider sounds a lot to me, so does a foot!
You did say they put starlet engines in minis in the past, but did they have to make the front of the mini wider, or at least the subframe?
Otherwise, i think that you will be making a mean machine. Latest VW Golf does 0-60 in 6.5 secs and has 147bhp/tonne. You are aiming for 150-170 bhp. That's about 330bhp/tonne at most! LOADS!!!! :D
Max

Thanks for comments Max.

6 inch's wider did seem like quite alot but its already been done so no turning back now. Im going up there tomorrow morning to see what the state of play is and will have a little look what a foot longer will be. I know a foot seems like alot but the freestyle is tiny anyway and im worried that with all the power of mine and such a short wheel base that the car will just over steer all the time. Plus if i add say 4 inch's to the car it doesn't give me any useable space, but if i add a 12 inch compartment at the back it will give me space to mount the fuel cell, this can be completely firewalled. Plus it also allows me to mount the intercooler and radiator and have intake scoops either side for direct air feed.

I think the extra length will work out better for hill climbs and handling also, remember mine is never going to go off road ;D ::)

Mini Mad Max

True, sorry i was just thinking in my mindset. I just looked at the pics and looks great! a proffessional job by them toyota lads, tip of the cap to them lol ;D
Max

jason_l

Well looks like i got the measurements wrong over the phone  :eek: Its not 6 inch's wider, but 6 inch's either side!!!!  :eek: :eek: :eek: She's going to look PHAT now. Not extending the front at the moment but will if handling is bad.

Its going to look like a Go-Kart now with the large rear and inbound front.

James is shutting down shop for 2 weeks from the 19th but he is keen to get the chassis done before then so i still have a rolling chassis.

Jason  ;D

collie

My project started, September 2007 and I still don't have a rolling chassis  :-[
Credit where credit is due, a good job so far  8)

HolyCount

collie":12mzwaqe said:
My project started, September 2007 and I still don't have a rolling chassis  :-[

That makes me feel so much better  ;D I am now ( finally) back to a basic frame with bits everywhere !!!!! So it's like it was never started !!!!!!

jason_l

collie":2dsabfuy said:

That maybe the case but it looks like you are doing everything correctly and properly first time round mate. When me and my mate shared the freestyle he was just cutting corners all over the place. Since i have got the car from him i have had to re-do ALL of the bits he did.

Mine may be going relatively quick but i have alot of free time to get it done, girlfriend works every other weekend, plus i work in a workshop so work on the buggy before, on my lunch and after work.

Im worried if i leave the buggy for a bit i will loose motivation so keep going at a steady pace! Anyway, more updates will be coming soon.............. ::)

HolyCount

jason_l":1gr8ab7y said:
.........mate shared the freestyle he was just cutting corners all over the place. Since i have got the car from him i have had to re-do ALL of the bits he did.

Ooo-eer !  Which one of you worked on the engine ?  ??? :eek: :eek:

jason_l

HolyCount":28ecggnc said:
jason_l":28ecggnc said:
.........mate shared the freestyle he was just cutting corners all over the place. Since i have got the car from him i have had to re-do ALL of the bits he did.

Ooo-eer !  Which one of you worked on the engine ?  ??? :eek: :eek:

Both did, but don't worry mate, i was there the whole time to keep him in check! can't see you having any problems with that engine!  ;D

collie

I'm just chipping away, highly motivated.  Motivation is not the problem. Lack of knowledge/skill/time/money is my problem  :D
It's good to keep in touch on the forum, it's probably my biggest motivator!
Looking forward to seeing everyone's updates.

Phaeton

Staff member
Just a point on the exhaust, I 'think' (you can look it up) that the new noise level is going to be 91db which is quite low. People have had problems getting bike engines with bike cans through so not sure if you will be able to get down that low. Other issue they have had is that as the noise meter is only 1 metre from the vehicle, engine noise has added it's bit into the mix.

The think the route is correct, just you may have to try put another silencer in first.

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":2mlibeey said:
Just a point on the exhaust, I 'think' (you can look it up) that the new noise level is going to be 91db which is quite low. People have had problems getting bike engines with bike cans through so not sure if you will be able to get down that low. Other issue they have had is that as the noise meter is only 1 metre from the vehicle, engine noise has added it's bit into the mix.

The think the route is correct, just you may have to try put another silencer in first.

Alan...

Thanks for Comments Alan, i told the guys 95db but 91db is even worse!  :-\ They said they can get the noise down by using some packing to sort it out. Its the CAT thing i need to sort out, been having a little look through the manual and im not sure if i can get away with out a cat???? its a 1994 model but because its a jap import engine it doesn't need a CAT for MOT as they don't have it on file.

May have to be a email to VOSA?

Jason :)

Mini Mad Max

Hey Jason,
Good to see more expensive looking bits :D Could you please tell me the origin of the fuel filler cap you feature? Specific model of honda, I love the look of it!!
Max