Nah Ah!! I'm not far off now ;)

Danny

Administrator
glad your ok Jason :)

Build will get back under way soon :)

What radiator is in the front of yours?

Phaeton

Staff member
Danny it's mounted behind the drivers head so he can wash his hair add he drives along when it leaks

Excuse my spilling mistakes I don't csre

Mini Mad Max

Phaeton":nymlrq52 said:
Danny it's mounted behind the drivers head so he can wash his hair add he drives along when it leaks

Excuse my spilling mistakes I don't csre

Should've gone to spec-savers! That's an intercooler ;)

jason_l

That actually is the rad at the front. Its a fiat chinquchento one. Its an intercooler mounted high level at the back. Oil cooler is getting mounted at the back somewhere. Jas

Phaeton

Staff member
Welcome back Jason, we found a young guy who would shot blast wheels for us, he's a bit of a rough arse as he uses paving sand as the media, but he's very cheap, I think he normally shot blasts building or something like that as he uses one of those huge diesel compressors that you see road workers with. Bust as he only charges £25 for a set of wheels we don't mind :D after powder coating they come up nice.

20150314_171207.jpg

jason_l

Wheels look nice on that :)
I hope i can find someone that can blast it up cheap. At the very worst i might try taking it to the place who originally quoted me for the powdercoating as they where not too bad. It just means hauling the frame about 50 miles or so each way.

jason_l

So looks like i may have sorted the shotblasting issue.

Spent ages looking at nitromors and chemical paint strippers with people giving mixed reviews. Powdercoating firm in Southampton are going to shotblast the entire chassis for £250. Im more than happy with that as it saves me messing about with trying different chemicals and spending ages scrubbing and scrapping. As they are going to remove all the powdercoat and paint i can see what sort of condition the whole frame is in. I think the floor might need some work and i will probably now end up seem welding the entire frame and mini chassis so i know i won't have any future issues. Its then going back to them for a final blast and then zinc primer then the satin black powdercoat. Hopefully get this underway when im back from my holiday in a few weeks.

Oh and im just drawing up the planning application for the new double garage i want to build so will finally have a home for the buggy soon, if it gets approved that is.

Jason :)

jason_l

Yes has been tooooooo long. Almost a year in fact.

The truth is i haven't touched the buggy since i last updated and its still sat in storage as a bare chassis and boxes of parts. This was never going to be a quick project (until its built) and its taken a side step at the moment.

At the beginning of October i handed my notice in at work and said goodbye to the place i had worked at for the last 7 years. Things had changed and i wasn't happy but more importantly it was getting in the way of me getting on with things. Thought long and hard about leaving and just decided that life is just too short. Since then i have pretty much been out of work apart from the odd day here and there. As some of you know i have been building my own house and i just didn't have the time to finish it. Now im pretty much dedicated to finishing it off to a point where we can move in. I have been working Freelance a little, mainly a day here and there just to keep a little money coming in but we are not struggling for cash. Me and Sarah had £4500 in our savings when i left work and we still have over £4000 sat there. Its amazing how little money you actually need to survive. However because of this some things have suffered, mainly the buggy. Not only do i not have the time to work on it, i currently don't have any spare cash to spend, right when it requires a shot blast and some welding work. The buggy will not be sold though as it can sit there until i find the time and money to crack back on with it.

I may be out of work but im sooooo focused on building our house that im actually busier than when i was working. Amazing feeling getting up in the morning and going to work on something that i just love.

Danny

Administrator
jason_l":19jsqqz5 said:
Yes has been tooooooo long. Almost a year in fact.

The truth is i haven't touched the buggy since i last updated and its still sat in storage as a bare chassis and boxes of parts. This was never going to be a quick project (until its built) and its taken a side step at the moment.

At the beginning of October i handed my notice in at work and said goodbye to the place i had worked at for the last 7 years. Things had changed and i wasn't happy but more importantly it was getting in the way of me getting on with things. Thought long and hard about leaving and just decided that life is just too short. Since then i have pretty much been out of work apart from the odd day here and there. As some of you know i have been building my own house and i just didn't have the time to finish it. Now im pretty much dedicated to finishing it off to a point where we can move in. I have been working Freelance a little, mainly a day here and there just to keep a little money coming in but we are not struggling for cash. Me and Sarah had £4500 in our savings when i left work and we still have over £4000 sat there. Its amazing how little money you actually need to survive. However because of this some things have suffered, mainly the buggy. Not only do i not have the time to work on it, i currently don't have any spare cash to spend, right when it requires a shot blast and some welding work. The buggy will not be sold though as it can sit there until i find the time and money to crack back on with it.

I may be out of work but im sooooo focused on building our house that im actually busier than when i was working. Amazing feeling getting up in the morning and going to work on something that i just love.

I took a year off to renovate our place :) doubled it's value :) also was my best year for my own company as well... work that one out :)

Good luck jason and maybe see you at Stoneleigh

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

wagon

Wow awesome!

Sounds like you are doing alright - which is great, well I'll be here and waiting for an update as and when :)

jason_l

Hi Everyone,

been a while I know (Cue Alan with the slacker comments...)

Well after no work on this for so long I have decided I should probably put some effort in to getting it a little further along. I'm still yet to knock the old garage down and build the new double garage in its place but I have now moved a lot of the buggy parts into the garage for the moment.

Having the mx5 for summer use has meant I have no drive to finish the buggy off, so decided to sell up and get rid of the mx5. This has now gone and the money from the sale is being spent on the buggy.

Last week I have picked up everything from storage in Basingstoke and got it all moved over to my place in Southampton. Took the chassis straight to shot blasting though. Few days later and it was all back to bare metal, collected and taken over to an engineering company to have all the welds cleaned and finished. I have even added some extra bracing to the roll bars to help keep everything more rigid. This has now been completed and the chassis and a hand full of other parts are currently with the powdercoaters. Just sorting final colour option and price and it will be coated in the next week or so with any luck...........then finally I can start the final build!!!!

Work will continue slowly on this but at a quicker rate then before, house is still my priority of course.

Pictures to follow soon :)

Jason