Front arch brackets, why do they break?

jason_l

Hi All,

Just a quick one really, while i don't have my bugy to work on i have decided to turn my attention to sorting and making a few other bits for the buggy.

I have a set of front arch brackets and mud gaurds that i got with my buggy but they ain't the best ones i have seen. Im planning on remaking them and i am aware that several people have had their brackets snap. Does anyone know what the weak point is in the existing brackets? From what i believe they twist slightly when breaking?

Is it beacuse they are fixed to the top hub bolts and the caliper bolts as well that causes the problem?

Many thanks for any support guys :)

Now to work on one of my other little projects...........adjustable rear wing to help with the downforce ;D

Jason :p

Angel Boy

Can't help about the brackets but if you are serious about downforce then I would seriously look at a rear diffuser and possibly a front wing before a rear wing.  Might not be IVA friendly but would seriously help with the handling.  Just my t'pence worth if it is any use to you.

Andy

jason_l

iank":3f50mzl0 said:
They tend to break, at least the one's on 7's of the same design, because there's a lot of load and vibration on them.  The one's I've seen have tended to snap at the top bend (which is weakened by bending) or where there are changes in material causing stress risers.

These two threads might give some ideas
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthr ... ?tid=71398
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthr ... ?tid=70387

Thanks Ian, your a legend!  ;D Looks like some really helpfull info. This one has potential........

cycle%20wing%20brkt%202.jpg

And looks like brazing might help as it gives it a little flex unlike welding. Also will be looking into carbon fibre rod as someone has mentioned on Locost  8)

Angel Boy":3f50mzl0 said:
Can't help about the brackets but if you are serious about downforce then I would seriously look at a rear diffuser and possibly a front wing before a rear wing.  Might not be IVA friendly but would seriously help with the handling.  Just my t'pence worth if it is any use to you.

Andy

Thanks for comments Andy. Both a adjstable front wing and a rear diffuser is already on the cards but don't have the buggy to work on these yet. Plus i can't make the rear diffuser until they have put the buggy back together.  ;)

Jason :p

Phaeton

Staff member
I've never had a front one break (Yet!) but I have modified front ones on the back which did come apart. Before I got the buggy somebody had used a set of fronts with the caliper holes cut off. So all that was left was the flat bit that fastens onto the top of the steering arm & then the two curved rods with the flat plate on top. They had also not been able to get one of the steering arm bolts out so had opened up the hole so the whole thing was held on by just one bolt on one side. I cut out the hole & welded a new piece back in so at least there was two bolts holding them on at each side. This was how it passed the SVA.

However I hadn't noticed but one bracket had broken through fatigue so all I did weld in some triangle pieces between the flat plate & the rods going upwards. I did this on all four rods & now they are much stiffer & so far not had anymore problems.

If you want pictures to understand the drivel I've typed just let me know.

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":20nl8xdo said:
I've never had a front one break (Yet!) but I have modified front ones on the back which did come apart. Before I got the buggy somebody had used a set of fronts with the caliper holes cut off. So all that was left was the flat bit that fastens onto the top of the steering arm & then the two curved rods with the flat plate on top. They had also not been able to get one of the steering arm bolts out so had opened up the hole so the whole thing was held on by just one bolt on one side. I cut out the hole & welded a new piece back in so at least there was two bolts holding them on at each side. This was how it passed the SVA.

However I hadn't noticed but one bracket had broken through fatigue so all I did weld in some triangle pieces between the flat plate & the rods going upwards. I did this on all four rods & now they are much stiffer & so far not had anymore problems.

If you want pictures to understand the drivel I've typed just let me know.

Alan...

Thanks Alan, for once i understand the drivel  ;D Thats sort of what i was planning for the back, so at least it shows that im on the right track. The current ones i have got have the holes slightly off target so have been opened up by the guy who owned before me. If i can remake them to be more accurate then that should help out lots also.

I was worried about just having the brackets only held on two bolts on the back but if it works ok then the idea can be refined.

I will post up when i get a design finalised and a test one in prodcution. :)

thanks all,

Jason