Front Coil over conversion

R1FREESTYLE

Simon,
Thanks for giving us all a peek at your Coil over conversion for the front of the buggy.
Just looking for a suitable set of GAZ shocks on the Rally Design website.
Had a very rough measure up of the original mini dampers (new ally sheet nose in the way) and I make them 15" long.
So that would be part number:
150/100/B12 - Coilover Unit

Adjustable for rate and ride height. 12mm Rod

Open Length: 15"
Closed Length: 10"
Stroke: 5"
Chrome Length: 6"

Does this match the part number for the ones you fitted? as I noticed your were GAZ.

Paul

esdebe

I wish I could say I got mine from Avonbar Racing at a mini show, and all I know is they were standard rear (coil over adjustable) ones for a mini.... with 90Lb springs.

R1FREESTYLE

Thanks, they are the same model shock as I have put on the rear. I think your part number relates the Coil over and damper as a kit.
I want to keep the Coil over that came with the chassis, mainly because the spring rate should be about right.

The part number I quoted was for just the damper.

Need to get one of the mini dampers of the front and measure it properly before I order.
Thanks for the help! :)

Phaeton

Staff member
"esdebe"":3dfnvzt8 said:
I wish I could say I got mine from Avonbar Racing at a mini show,
Thought you bought them from Huddersfield Spares? (at MITS)

Alan...

esdebe

Looking good, yours looks more engineered than mine, nice curves and lines....

I went for a quick bolt on option...

Simon

Phaeton

Staff member
"R1FREESTYLE"":1m68h2xz said:
Paul/Simon,

Whats the extended length of your coil overs? Presumably the same length as the Mini rear shock, but can you let me know how long that is please.

Alan...

iank

"Danny"":14yz9xzm said:
Hello

I am looking at doing this conversion, my set up is like this photo

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/R1FREESTYLE/?action=view&current=DSCF0011-1.jpg

why cant I just cut away the 2 x plates that the springs push on to and leave the rest why have you done it that way in the photo below?

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/R1FREESTYLE/?action=view&current=zPicture038.jpg

Has anybody got photos of simons (esdebe) set up?

Cheers

Danny

Because the loads put into those small brackets will be much higher as the springs will feed their forces into them as well as the much smaller forces from the shocks. If they rip off the chassis when you hit a bump the accident has the potential to be pretty bad.

IIRC Dave mentioned he need to do a mod for coil overs (on the old forum). I suspect it looks something like Pauls.

A decent heavyweight bracket bolted on with big manly HT bolts should also work fine.

wurzell

Would like to add, that although I converted my Buggy front end to coil over conversion, using AVO Mini (rear) units and a custom made alloy box section bracket, which bolts very securely onto the flat steel cross bulkhead, I would point out that most (nearly all) coil over units are not designed for, or function properly in a horizontal or steeply angled plane.... They only work properly when mounted upright/vertically, any other fitment will be a compromise.......Even standard shock absorbers will struggle here..... What happens is you invariably find a "bending" motion within the suspension somewhere, which limits the life of the seals, rod, bushes etc.
Also the damping oil "froth's", and because of this increased "rake angle" does not completely de-aerate itself, which means the dampers run hotter, further damaging the seals, etc......Not sure where you would stand with Gas filled units?
Also coil springs seem to prefer working vertically, rather than semi horizontally.......Laid down, after a while they start sagging, or bend half way along!! The more you raise the cars suspension, the worse this seems to get, plus it's also possible to run into problems with the front bump steering..... We run our Cars jacked up as high as possible, for Classic Trials.........
Darryls/Jimmies cars now have a much improved, home designed front coil over conversion, using AVO shocks from Demon Tweeks, which function in a virtually upright, vertical position, with much improved suspension travel, and fully functioning damping/de-aerating etc......The only down side is a fair bit of fabrication and welding to achieve.......
Might possibly be able to email photographs/details etc to interested parties....
Just trying to say, think about this conversion carefully before proceeding, there's a right way and a wrong way to do it!!

R1FREESTYLE

Danny,
Been a while since I have been on , but Iank is correct. You have to cut off the old "lugs" and replace them with something much more substantial because all the load on the suspension will be transferred through to that point.
Because the original bulk head wasnt designed to take these loads I used some 50mm angle as shown in the second pic and shaped this to fit accross the width of the bulkhead so that it was not only a lot stronger than the original lugs but also spread the load across the whole width of the bulkhead.

I take on Wurzels points about the dampers, but the original set up has the mini dampers at this angle, so I dont see that the swap makes anything better or worse as far as the performance of the dampers go.
Lots of kits now use push rod suspension with inboard dampers mounted at close to horizontal planes are these allways gas shocks in these installations? otherwise they would suffer the same problems mentioned.

I would say your main concern would be to make sure you use a substantial enough material to take the loads tranferred through the front suspension and you make the mounts wide enough to spread the loads accross as wide an area as possible.

Paul

esdebe

Sorry Alan...

The answer is I don't know. I think it was about the same as the stock rear one, I have one of these in the garage so I'll measure it tomorrow, and get back to you.

Simon