Front Coilover Conversion

Danny

Administrator
WHo has chopped their front suspension off and used adjustable coilovers?

I want to do this... but not sure which shockers and springs to use :-\

Any ideas?

Danny

Administrator
Also the top of the coilover does not look right.... pretty sure that its meant to have a nut on the end and not the holes?

This is what i aim to achieve :)

Danny

Administrator
Also the top of the coilover does not look right.... pretty sure that its meant to have a nut on the end and not the holes?

This is what i aim to achieve :)

Mini Mad Max

Hey Danny,

I remember looking up coil over shocks ages ago and found that they were cheapest if you got GAZ from Rally Design: http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/index.php?cPath=133_1035

You just have to work out which is the right one for you. I remember the details being in a thread about the conversion on here a while back. You need to know the open and closed length in inches :)

Max

Danny

Administrator
Why did I not see the part number before now... FFS GP1-2026

Thanks simon...lol

I sense I am talking to myself but its the thought process and may help someone in the future

Phaeton

Staff member
I see why you would want to go with the loop rather than the peg, but I'm not sure if it is the right decision. As usual happy to be wrong but my thoughts are that if you go for the hoops then you will firstly have to modify the suspension arms to accept the hoops which is doable. But my concern is with the actual connection, the shocks are designed to be fairly static just going up & down with any lateral movement being absorbed by the rubber bushing. Laying them sideways there is going to be a huge increase in the twisting lateral movement, as the suspension arm comes up either the rubber has to twist, the bolt turn in the sleeve, neither of which is a very good result. The only way would be to replace the rubber bush with a spherical bearing, they must be available as cars running inboard suspension must have something similar. These guys http://www.dampertech.co.uk/ are about 5 miles from me & might be able to come up with a solution, seen some good reports about them.

Alan....

ChaosMS

Phaeton,

Totally agree the stress on the top of the shock pin / eyelet option is the wrong solution and would apply stress in the wrong way to the shock body, If the shock is going to work correctly in this laid position it should be a Rose Joint / Spherical bearing to take the stress and motion on the shock, if there was more space you could bring the shocks inboard and use a push arm and cantilever to the shock and then you could get away with a standard eyelet/ bush on the top.

Dave over at Dampertech is a top guy and helped me a lot when I was working out the correct spring rates for the buggy - FAR FAR better than the idiots at AVO! - definitely worth a chat, plus the kit from Dampertech can be stripped and serviced rather than being replaced so buy it once and just service the dampers in the future!

Working out the required spring rates is pretty straight forward (I managed it so it cant be that hard!!)

Rich

Danny

Administrator
Sorry thought I replied...

Yep, I want a pin with rubber bits

Going to need to weigh the buggy I think and then give them a call

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

''Left a Bit''

I wouldn't be too worried about using twin eyelets on the shock, the angle change isn't really going to be much different anyway, and the Gaz units run poly-bushed ends so the crush tube can rotate in the bush with no issues. Dave'll sort you out though, he a good bloke, only lives around the corner :)