Front mounted rad

Danny

Administrator
What rads are you guys using in the front?

Need to get this part of the build sorted soon and am at a kit car show in a week or so :D

Danny

Administrator
It needs to be no bigger than 500mm wide and 300mm tall

So anyone got any suggestions?

Danny

Administrator
What do you think.? Too wide?

d9cea3e0c23d9b007e6592384ab486e0.jpg

fe20b85a814128620b1097beefa40f82.jpg
9c683e5130d1740ee39a1530a95a2128.jpg

b808f7b62b0468f25a613a53de9074cf.jpg

a4a48772e3f3f3bcfb5d697d42b6b22f.jpg

3438aeef1650b8c1fd0c6c39c98711bd.jpg

Will this work do you think?

Mini Mad Max

Danny":6he3emn1 said:
What do you think.? Too wide?
Will this work do you think?

It's certainly too close to the front bulkhead. You won't get any airflow through it unless you cut a big hole in the bulkhead which would weaken it drastically :-\ Have you thought about a rear mounted rad like what Steve did with Mary?

DSCF2772104.jpg

It would save the hassle of routing the plumbing front to rear. There is certainly more space to play with as well.

Max

Danny

Administrator
Haha i plan on leaning it forward ect... i was just showing how wide it was :-/

I am not sure i want a rad above my neck.... boiling water hurts...

Mini Mad Max

Ahhh I see! It looks perfect width for the front then. It's just a shame that the outlet comes out by the lower arm. May need some careful pipe routing to get around that. You could still have it in the back and position it so its not likely to scald you in the event that it explodes :p It's good to consider every option, because even if you know you won't go with that option, it may give you inspiration and lead you to the best solution :)

Danny

Administrator
Yup... at the moment the bike rad is winning up front :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Phaeton

Staff member
Just been looking through all my photobucket & can't actually find a picture of the rad fitted before the front cover is on. Mine is about 4-5" 100-125mm forward at the bottom tilting backwards at the top, I will take a picture when I refit it next year, I then also cut a big hole in the aluminium so that all the air can escape down underneath the car.

Danny I would try to drop that radiator so that the N/S outlet goes under the bulkhead & then see where the O/S one then goes, so this one underneath

a4a48772e3f3f3bcfb5d697d42b6b22f.jpg

Then there would be a new position for this one

9c683e5130d1740ee39a1530a95a2128.jpg

Bearing in mind that you already have the pipes running underneath you will need that clearance anyway.

You could consider a rear mounted radiator, but I wouldn't want it where Steve had put it, I'd want to put it right at the back, the K series is better than the A series for this as the exhaust is at the front so won't warm it up. However it would have to be fan assisted & suspect they will be running fairly constantly as it would not be in the airflow unless you started ducting air down into it. It also then causes an issue with the engine water outlets which are at the front of the engine so you would have to loop them back around.

I'd be surprised if you could find a bike radiator at a reasonable price & with the capacity that is needed, although the K series has a bad reputation for head gaskets it's not that bad, but it is temperature sensitive so over cooling would be preferable to under cooling. Also remember who is going to be the one driving the buggy, he doesn't have a good reputation for taking things steady, he appears to want rag the tits of it at every opportunity!!!!

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
having the rad up the front is what I want really...

I will play about with the rad tomorrow night and see what I can get ... it looks wide enough maybe too wide :-\

I will get some better photos and see... using an MGF rad would work better as they are cheap as chips :)