Front wheel hubs

Essex Boy

Hi there

Has anyone any front hubs that you need for the rear of the freestyle. Remember, I was the one trying to get the rear hubs of a rear subframe without much success (wrong ones though) :oops:

I already have a front subframe with disc brakes on.

Thanks

esdebe

What you need is a pair of Drum Brake hubs, but you will still need to get the backplates from a pair of rear hubs and get the centre hole enlarged.

Some people on the forum have spoken of putting the front disk hubs on the back but then you need to find a caliper setup that can be used mechanicaly too for the handbrake.

Disk hubs in my opinion are easier to find (with decent CV joints) some of the old drum based ones need to have the CV bit replaced as the wheel bearings weren't looked after by their former owners.

Simon

Essex Boy

so I still need to remove the old rear hubs (from the rear sub frame)
and retain the back plates. plus find a set of front hubs/drum type. if you know of any that are available please let me know

Cheers

Essex Boy

just found a pair of front hubs with disc brakes. Later on, i will need that information about handbrake /disc type callipers(you will know what I need. Thanks

Phaeton

Staff member
"Essex Boy"":3vlgne7q said:
just found a pair of front hubs with disc brakes. Later on, i will need that information about handbrake /disc type callipers(you will know what I need. Thanks
These aren't any good for the rear, you need front hubs that accept drum brakes. You also need a set of the driveshafts that go through the drum, brakes they're a different size to the disc brake style.

Alan...

Essex Boy

"Some people on the forum have spoken of putting the front disk hubs on the back but then you need to find a caliper setup that can be used mechanicaly too for the handbrake"

Now I'm confused. The above seems to indicate that you can use disc brakes on the rear. Although it seems it may be more complicated. Considering my inexperience I had better try the easier option so my request remains.

Has anyone a pair of front hubs for sale (drum type) and the longer drive shafts as the ones on my front subframe/engine etc are disc type?

Does any one need a pair of front hubs (disc type) I have a set spare?

Kevin

esdebe

The drive shafts are the same size, but the CV joint (part of the hub) is different.

Take a look at a site like mini spares or mini mania (mini mania has blown up diagrams) to see all the bits / part numbers, then when you have seen the picys you should know what you need and what you already have.

My set up uses the back plates of the donors rear drums, the centres wer made biger, and were fitted onto a pair of front hubs which were drum ones, the origanal spaced rear drums are also used but you need to move the bolts from the old rear hubs too as the front ones wouldn't leave enought to hold the wheels on.

The cv joints on the original donors disk hubs can be knocked off the end of the drive shaft by following the process desctibed in the haynes manual, but you do need to hit them very hard!!! then you can put the cv joint from the drum hubs on them.

Simon