gauge

is anyone using a gauge that is the same diameter as the old mini type? i'm using an old mini one at mo but i think the damp has got to it and its just not moving anymore. i brought a new one at a show but its a capillary one and the tube isn't long enough. does anyone use a similar sized gauge that runs off an elec sender rather than a capill tube??

Phaeton

Staff member
Are we talking about a 50mm/2" oil pressure gauge here?

If so I found a pipe supplier & bought a new piece of capillary pipe 3m length I think. But an electric one will work just as well, though they are not supposed to be quite as accurate but I don't know if that's really true.

Alan...

sorry mate, i was not clear. the gauge is for temp. and yes it is a two inch jobby. it's a smith from a `71 mini. there is condense behind the glass and needle has stopped moving even when i dead short the sender cable to earth.

Phaeton

Staff member
Okay if it's temperature then you need to have one that comes with a sensor as well, they are a pair & need to be matched. Any will do but the issue is getting the correct fitment for the head, Most these days are metric & you need imperial or a convertor. MattBlack has one I think he got his convertor from DemanTheives wasn't cheap.

Alan...

MattBlack

All the aftermarket Senders are M10 so you'll need an "M10 female X 5/8 UNF male" bush.

As Alan say's the DemonRobbingdogs ones are about £6 but i've seen 'em cheaper since.. i'll see if i can find out where.