gears

ben waine

hi i no my buggy is having a LOAD of problems but going over a lump of hard mud and cow shit my gear stick it rather stiff and near impossible to go in to reverse.

i think tht the pole connecting into the gear box. you can see it if you neel down and itz usually red and in the center.

Phaeton

Staff member
You've probably bent the gear selector rod, put it up an a set of ramps & have a look. Either that or there's a problem withe the roll pin on the gearbox.

Alan...

collie

I have a long purple rod and I'm proud of it!

Seriously though, can't you get a floor pan to protect your rod from getting bent?

esdebe

If you are managing to bend the rod I'd be more worried about the sump.. Maybe the Offroad area is just a little bit too adventurous for the buggy, a wack on the sump would not be good, I guess the rod protected it in this case.

esdebe

Check teh gearbox steady hadn't brokem.. I had this happen a while back on a drive back from Newark, ended up only being able to use 1st and 3rd gear the engine would cause 2nd, 4th and reverse to be unselectable.

This is a samll arm that connects the gearbox near the sump oil drain to the subframe.
Simon

Phaeton

Staff member
Two man job propbably, get the rear wheels up on ramps/axle stands & one person sit in buggy the other lay on their back underneath. You are looking for the rod Piccy The person in the buggy needs to try to get all the gears, you will more than likely find that the rod is catching, chassis/sump or something else. Hopefully by bending it away from that you'll get your gears back.

Alan...

esdebe

If gear box / engine rockes / moves as gears are changed then it will be the gearbox steady that is broken, so check that out while you are under there, it is normaly near the sump oil nut but also can be on the speedo (radiator) end of the gearbox too.