Got a Freestyle Buggy at last!

ChaosMS

Chris, MKIV calipers were used on the back of my buggy and I can confirm they use the same cable operation, I should have a image of them after they were re-built somewhere...
Adaptors to fit the Golf Calipers to Suzuki uprights: (i know you dont need these but just showing it was an easy adaptor to make)
844b89ca-5656-413e-c6f0-3cbdd8fef646.jpg

Calipers mounted to rear disks showing front edge of caliper
5cc6ff83-e51b-4ee4-f277-0f8ebb58a4fe.jpg

Better view of the handbrake connection
4d5b1f08-4542-4afb-de1a-c620ba927adb.jpg

250buggys

Phaeton":klzmm2tx said:
I seem to think mine were MKII's but I think Rally Design or somebody like that were doing new MKIV's for not a lot of money, somebody bought a set of them & they were the same. These are the ones you'd be looking for

Thanks Alan, currently looking for a set :)

250buggys

Went for a good 1.5 hr blast today, started to notice a small wobble on the O/S mudguard. Had a quick look and sure enough the weld had failed. I should have turned around then and got the welder out and beefed it up.

Went down my first proper green lane in the buggy and that was awesome!

Got within a mile of home and the mudguard started rubbing on the wheel, could have done with a cable tie just to hold it but had visions of it going down the road and some lengthy fibre glass repairs so I just disconnected the indicator wires and popped it on the passenger seat.

DSC_0356_resize_73.jpg

Got the wind deflector sorted too which is a big improvement, it took a few iterations as the tinted one was too dark and you just ended up looking over it.

New brakes are a big improvement :)

Phaeton

Staff member
LOL We've all been that at some point, including trying to repair Steve's in the middle of Wales with a BBQ, or Simon's which we tie-wrapped a 10mm spanner to it on our way to Wales. It's part of the journey of being a Freestyle owner

250buggys

There is enough weld on there now so you can sit on the mudguard...

With the tyre rubbing on the bracket it wore the paint away enough for the welder work return clamp to get a good earth.

With the wheel on there wasn't enough room or access to weld and when I put the wheel back on I stripped two of the threads from the studs which is a pain, was hoping to get out again this afternoon.

250buggys

Ordered the parts I need for the rear disc conversion on the buggy.

1 (1).JPG

Just waiting on the hand brake cables and ball joints to turn up.

Mean while I fitted the flanges to the discs and pulled out the old bearings and ball joints off. Put the pads in to make sure they fit OK.

Probably need to order a couple of banjo fittings also, just need to find out the size. I have some braided hose left over I can use to make up some pipes.

Hope this makes braking a bit better 😁 With the drums it wouldn't even lock up the rear end on the loose stuff.... and that's no fun.

1 (2).JPG

250buggys

Chris, just be careful in the wet now, with too much front end braking there is a tendency to just lock the front & then you lose all steering. Couple of people have upgraded to Mini 4 pots in the past & I'm sure somebody went back to 2 pots as they felt it was safer. I think somebody considered a servo not sure if they went through with it, never had a problem with the brakes, yes they are different, but so much else about the Freestyle is not sure it matters.

With regards to the rears, 2 relatively easy options (I've done both) change the whole of the rear subframe to a MGF one, which along with the K series engine gives you a whole new vehicle. Second method is to use Golf calipers, I did a write up on it a few years ago but it looks like all the images have been chewed up by Photobucket. Using Mini front hubs I got the rear of the caliper mounting holes machined flat then bolted the calipers up to them found this image from before the machine but shows the principle, can't believe that was 13 years ago.

Hi Alan

Just to confirm is it these lugs that need machining off the callipers or is it the hub that needs machining?

The hole centres look to be the same on the hubs and callipers but I haven't run a bolt through yet to check.

Calipers.JPG

Phaeton

Staff member
Long time since I did it but sure it was the hubs, you're mounting the sliders behind the hubs which is not a flat surface, as the originals mount at the front if I remember correctly. It could be done with an angry grinder, but my local machinist only charged £30 so wasn't worth trying.

wagon_1.0

Why did you go with the vw calipers? that's what you had laying about type of thing? I considered using 106gti/saxo vts rear calipers on mine as they are some of the smallest discs around, but, I didn't do more than think :D

Phaeton

Staff member
I had a set of Saxo calipers & mounts (VTS I think), but they were nowhere near the correct size, can't remember exactly how I came across the Golf ones, son in law has had several so maybe I was doing his brakes & noticed the size.

250buggys

Long time since I did it but sure it was the hubs, you're mounting the sliders behind the hubs which is not a flat surface, as the originals mount at the front if I remember correctly. It could be done with an angry grinder, but my local machinist only charged £30 so wasn't worth trying.

Why did you go with the vw calipers? that's what you had laying about type of thing? I considered using 106gti/saxo vts rear calipers on mine as they are some of the smallest discs around, but, I didn't do more than think :D
Hi Alistair, good to see you are still about. How is the progress with your buggy conversion going, not seem any updates for a bit? :)

The mk4 golf calipers have been made to work on a few freestyles. The hole centres for the calipers look to be the same as the mini hubs. I guess that doesn't matter for yours as most of the mini bits have gone now. :) the most important bit I guess is handbrake operation being the same as the mini.

I put Elise calipers on my Sierra hubs on the 7 build and had to make an adapter plate as the hole centres were different and so was the mounting orientation.

250buggys

While I had the rear end stripped down to swap the drum hubs for discs I took the opportunity to fit some new cones.

DSC_0030.JPG

Also fitted some adjustable Hi-Los

DSC_0034.JPG

The old cones wee well past their best, should have replaced them when I built the buggy the first time around. Probably would have been off the donor car. Should be a much better ride now.....

I didn't realise the design plus shelf life of a rubber cone is 5 years but makes sense.

DSC_0033.JPG

Bye drum!

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

Didn't need a cone compressor, hydraulic trolley jack and a ratchet strap works a treat! I do need to invest in a ball joint splitter though, I waste sooooo much time messing about without one....

DSC_0036.JPG

By the time I had tapped in and greased up the roller bearings and shimmed the ball joints it was dark so will have another session on this again soon.

I also have plans to more than double the range with an extra bigger fuel tank, just waiting for some more parts to arrive. :)

250buggys

Slow progress, but progress.

Disc hub fitted. Trial & error on how much material I need to remove to get the MK4 Golf carrier to fit.

I was hoping if I don't move the steering arm I could get away without adjusting the rear tracking. Wishful thinking as I changed the cones it will all need setting up again.

DSC_0064.JPG

250buggys

Rear hubs ready to be sent off for machining. Used Sierra calipers in the end. MK4 golf was a bum steer. No way the sliders would fit, completely the wrong shape and orientation.

I had a pair of Sierra rears ready to go on the 7 but was reluctant to use them as they are so heavy. Bit of luck the hole centres are correct and looks like they can be made to work, they also fit under the 13" wheel. :)

Screenshot_2022-03-18-17-17-53.png

250buggys

Chris, just be careful in the wet now, with too much front end braking there is a tendency to just lock the front & then you lose all steering. Couple of people have upgraded to Mini 4 pots in the past & I'm sure somebody went back to 2 pots as they felt it was safer. I think somebody considered a servo not sure if they went through with it, never had a problem with the brakes, yes they are different, but so much else about the Freestyle is not sure it matters.

With regards to the rears, 2 relatively easy options (I've done both) change the whole of the rear subframe to a MGF one, which along with the K series engine gives you a whole new vehicle. Second method is to use Golf calipers, I did a write up on it a few years ago but it looks like all the images have been chewed up by Photobucket. Using Mini front hubs I got the rear of the caliper mounting holes machined flat then bolted the calipers up to them found this image from before the machine but shows the principle, can't believe that was 13 years ago.

Hi Alan

In you collection of Freestyle photos do you have a photo of the callipers mounted to the hubs after machining please?

I found a local machine shop but there is a couple of weeks to wait as he is flat out at the moment.

Thanks Chris

Phaeton

Staff member
I'll have a look, but not sure, I uploaded to Photobucket & then they screwed up & deleted most of them when I wouldn't pay the ransom, then wouldn't let me download.