Got a Freestyle Buggy at last!

250buggys

Danny":2nx3at8t said:
wont be long now :D Will it be done for stoneleigh next year?

The end is in sight, the whole emissions thing gave me a bit of a kick up the arse.

Just have this little lot to sort out, would be good if I could wave a magic wand!

DSC_1859.JPG

At least it is all working, tidying it all up shouldn't take too long...

Danny

Administrator
250buggys":1tqvk0hz said:
Danny":1tqvk0hz said:
wont be long now :D Will it be done for stoneleigh next year?

The end is in sight, the whole emissions thing gave me a bit of a kick up the arse.

Just have this little lot to sort out, would be good if I could wave a magic wand!

At least it is all working, tidying it all up shouldn't take too long...

Yup that will tidy up fine... all it has to do is pass :D

250buggys

I ordered some braided fuel lines but unsure of the best place to locate the fuel filler.

Wagon where did you fit your filter please?

DSC_1867.JPG

Phaeton

Staff member
Are they marked as being suitable for fuel or have the correct BSI/SAE numbers on them, if not you'll need paperwork from the suppliers confirming he above.

250buggys

Phaeton":xyyubvdm said:
Are they marked as being suitable for fuel or have the correct BSI/SAE numbers on them, if not you'll need paperwork from the suppliers confirming he above.

Hi Alan, I have the same issue with my braided hose brake lines. I am hoping a data sheet and an invoice should be sufficient.

Where did you fit your fuel filler when you had your a series engine, don't suppose you have any pics of the location please?

Phaeton

Staff member
I lost most of my pictures when photofuckupbucket started screwing around but I think I just had mine in the tank feed between the tank & the pump. I'll have a look on the old PC hard drive in my machine when I go into the office later.

Phaeton

Staff member
This ss Cedric, you can see the fuel filter, but probably not a good place to put it if you're getting tested, but it's between the tank & pump.

IMAG0023.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
Okay so I looked in the workshop I don't have the gearbox arm, didn't think i had, called a mate who I know who is putting a 2.0L Redtop Vauxhall in a Mini, very annoyingly he threw one away last week figuring nobody wanted one.

So let's start at the beginning, what have you done to the existing one, presumably you don't know if it worked before you stripped the Mini?? Can't remember if you bought it part built etc.

With this way of using the arm all you need to do is open it up, remove the 2x rods by removing the 2x roll pins, swapping the rods over & put the pins back in. No reversing of plates or anything else.

Can you get part 16 the wrong way around?

image.gif

Lilspeed

Brilliant news on the IVA!

I thought the collapsible column was only required for cars with a straight column?
Ie Freestyles should be ok without because of the UJ's?
Mine went through without a collapsible boss!

Hope you get a retest soon - summer is coming! ;D

250buggys

Lilspeed":80juysg3 said:
Brilliant news on the IVA!

I thought the collapsible column was only required for cars with a straight column?
Ie Freestyles should be ok without because of the UJ's?
Mine went through without a collapsible boss!

Hope you get a retest soon - summer is coming! ;D

I explained that I had the UJ and he asked the other inspector and they both agreed it should be collapsible. I will look at the manual tomorrow and see if I can find the bit about the 19mm radius on the underside of the dash too.

I have not heard of any other freestyles failing for not having the collapsing boss so didn't pay much attention to that.

Phaeton

Staff member
Fantastic news, at least when you go back it'll be a short one, they only check what it failed on unless you do something daft like change the indicators & mirrors, like somebody did on the locost forum & then got upset when they failed it again.

I've always found the testers to be spot on, they have the attitude that they want the vehicle to pass, they only fail if they have to, or at least they did at Nottingham.

With regards to the boss, mine is just a standard Mountney one I'm sure, I think this is the one FLEECEBAY just gve them a ring to check it has the 3 metal plates inside so it collapses, although as well have all said if you get into a real accident the steering wheel is likely to be the last of you worries.

Edit:- If not THIS is definitely the right kind or THIS

250buggys

Thanks Alan, the collapsible boss is a fairly easy one to tick off. Had a quick look through the manual today and there is nothing that I could see that states this is mandatory.

This is the bit about the 19mm radius I missed. Going to have to come up with something to address that which won't be so easy. Will get thinking about this at the weekend.

Screenshot_2019-04-04-21-19-29.png

Screenshot_2019-04-04-21-18-50.png

Phaeton

Staff member
Bit difficult from your picture on the rollers as to what your dash actually is, can you either remove your gauges & cover the dash with some foam & material, then fit the gauges again? Or if it's only the bottom edge can you get a piece of 15mm conduit slot it down the length & then force it onto the bottom edge.

250buggys

Here is a photo of the dash, it's only as thick as the bar I welded in.

74.JPG

It's just the bottom edge.

It would be good if I could add some conduit to tick this one off as I don't really want to rip it out and start again.. Just need to make it look good rather than botch it.