Head Gaskets

Danny

Administrator
Hello,

I need a head set for my 1275, where is the best place to buy and what type is the best?

Thanks

Danny

i've always got the metro turbo pack for my mod'ed minis. the head and manifold gaskets have always seemed better quality and a bit thicker. manifold one is usually oversized compared to mini one and so easy to get a seal. i have always just got them from my local con artist (motor factors) or in the early days, halfords ( but only cos i took a second job there during my apprenticship andso got staff discount). this doesn't really help does it, but i would go for the turbo one though.

best of luck

kariba

just a short question.the turbo head gasket is it not thicker to reduce the compression slightly . if this is so wont it affect the power of the non turbo engine.i was told this by someone dont know if its right .

jerry

Hi,

Before Rover went tits-up, all the 1275 head-gaskets were upgraded to turbo spec, so one head gasket did everything.

The compression is changed by the size of the dish in the piston, as all heads left the factory with around 24.4cc's, turbo or normally asperated. the turbo head differs from that of a normally asperated head by having thinner port/combustion chamber walls to allow more heat to be transfered to the coolant.

toyotacat1

The turbo head also has bigger valve's to let fuel in quicker to also aid cooling and exhaust the combustion gases faster !

Lee

jerry

Hi,
Lee
The turbo head has standard size valves.
The Exhaust valves are sodium filled to dissipate heat quicker from the head, have larger size stems to aid hear transfer and have larger rocker clearance due to greater linier expansion.

Dan,
Use a standard gasket unless you are running high a compression head. If you are using the above then use a Payen copper gasket or a performance one.

Danny

Administrator
Hello,

I bought a standard gasket today well 2 as I think it would be wise to have one spare for denmark.

its a composite one, when its fitted to a need to re torgue the head up after 500 miles or is it just ok to torque when its fitted?

Cheers

Danny

jerry

Hi dan,

Torque the head in the correct sequence( see haynes book of fairy tales) when fitting the head,and retorque as soon as the temperature of the engine reaches normal operating temperature. you will need to re-adjust your rockers after doing this. Shouldn't need to retorque after this.