height

Phaeton

Staff member
Different people have them set at different heights, Danny's is about 2" above the mirror posts. I have mine a good 4" above, but still able to look over it.

Alan...

Asbo

i look thro the top 1" of mine.....a good height for wind deflection,and,at speed,i just sit up a bit to look over it thro' my 'topgun' pilot helmet. ;D

prob be adding a few inches of deflection to it be 4 summer tho.

Radar

I know this is an old thread guys but here's another question what height from those here that have experimented is in your "opinion " the best compromise for a windscreen between visibility (not having probs looking through OR over it ) versus most comfort from the wind deflection benefit etc all answers would be gratefully considered as I am about to have a laminated glass screen made that is made to the same specs as standard car windscreens. This may well be mounted via a made to measure frame to sit on or just inside the risers (framework) around the bonnest area. Anyone have any suggestions to assist me in my decisions on this ?

thanks in advance

Radar

Phaeton

Staff member
If you're going to that much trouble I would go all the way up to the top, I would then engineer a windsrceen wiper. Once you have done all the R&D let me know the cost  :)

In all seriousness if you are going laminate then full screen with wiper is the way to go, if not you need to be able to see over it for when it occasionally rains in the UK.

Alan...

Radar

Alan thanks for the reply laminate flat screens are relatively cheap to have made but the idea of going fullscreen puts me off because I V A  then require  wipers , washer jets and if I am not mistaken (which I maybe ) a heater/demisting function all of that is a pain in the arse to design and build and then find the space to install.

Even if I do go that way an aftermarket wiper and assembly never seem to be as effective at clearing kit car windscreens as those on mainstream manufacturers cars during the odd days it rains . Besides in rainy weather I usually postpone a trip or if caught in it I usually seek shelter asap  for all the usual reasons including the lack of roof /sides/doors etc etc a full windscreen may help a little but the cost and trouble to go to ..is on balance not worth it in my opinion. I mainly want some form of screen just to give me some respite from the wind speed when on the motorway etc trying to get to the B roads   ;D. To that end I can still use glass but may use polycarbonate as I have found a supplier who can hopefully make me one with some curves and wrap around features that I want in order to enhance functionality and to look better than a slab of jigsaw cut poly that looks like an after thought (which of course it is lmao )

Will keep you informed 5 mm poly bronzed is the stuff of choice to minimise wind flex . Anyhoo should have some news in the next week or so when I get back from Canada will let you know

cheers chaps

Radar

Angel Boy

Radar":1wkvfxmh said:
Alan thanks for the reply laminate flat screens are relatively cheap to have made but the idea of going fullscreen puts me off because I V A  then require  wipers , washer jets and if I am not mistaken (which I maybe ) a heater/demisting function all of that is a pain in the arse to design and build and then find the space to install.

Yep, you'll need all of that, however you can get small ceramic electric demisters that work a treat.  You are right though, it is a pain in the bum to fit it all.  It was bad enough on my hood and I had a scuttle to hide it all under!!

Andy

Radar

Hi chaps,

just ordered and paid for my windscreen today should be delivered in approx 14 days . I decided to go for 5mm Polycarbonate also known as lexan because it is seriously tough stuff (250 times stronger than glass). I did not want to go the route of glass afterall because as a one off if it were to crack from a stonechip or whatever I would have to buy another. But that will not happen with polycarbonate even bricks just bounce off .

I decided on the wind deflector route same as most here because of all the ball ache of design and build wipers etc that would probably be pretty useless in the rain anyway if my experience with other kit cars is anything to go by.

I made a template and downloaded a "cracked" (serial no free)professional cad design proggy and designed what I wanted I just hope it works out it is flat but wrapped around the frame at the sides for a more professional finish also has a flick of about 30 degrees just to flick the airflow up at the top edge of screen and can be adjusted up or down by about 40 mm which is quite a lot as its only 360 mm from base to top anyway.

Yes the stuff scatches but that can easliy be polished out with fine paste like T cut without making it cloudy and lets face it , it's not for looking through anyway look over the top hopefully.

All I want was to make motorway cruising just a little bit less tiring the buffeting really is a ball ache on long journeys at motorway speeds.

Hope it all works if it does and I get to Stonleigh in it to show you all.l or will post pics

Radar

Radar

hi guys made my windscreen now it looks ok that polycarbonate is hard to heat and bend... fits ok looks good but may need to trim the edges more as the fold over sides did not work out how I had hoped ...see you at Stonleigh

Radar

Phaeton

Staff member
Angel Boy":1r776ic0 said:
I've decided, THIS THREAD IS NOW USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES.  That's all

Andy
Agreed,

Altogether now

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES

Alan...