Hello

malcolm

Ive Just re regesterd I have been on here before but a long time ago and forgot my user id and what e-mail I had signed up with lol.

Just to introduce myself:

Im Malcolm and am building buggy (very slowly it must be said) Im Hoping to have it finished this summer, Ive got to finish the brakes, electrics, gear selector and body yet! Its only taken me 3years to get to this stage lol Building it outside isnt always fun but im looking forward to getting it on the road.

Phaeton

Staff member
Sorry Malcolm missed this post, welcome aboard, keep up the good work, you know you really want to get it finished. Know what you mean about working outside, my garage is only just big enough for the buggy but you can't work on it when it's in there.

Alan...

malcolm

well had quite a good day today got the handbrake almost fitted, did have slight problems with the support bracket on the N/S but got it fitted in the end with a vice, hammer and file. Didn't do much for the powder coat tho lol, will have to repaint it. Also got the gear selector on and working I was dreading this a bit but wasnt to bad.

Phaeton

Staff member
Malcolm,

Have you added extra bracing on the handbrake support on top of the balljoint? VOSA at Nottingham also like to see 1/2 Nylocks on the top balljoint after the support has been added.

Alan...

malcolm

"Phaeton"":2qurhhwt said:
Malcolm,

Have you added extra bracing on the handbrake support on top of the balljoint? VOSA at Nottingham also like to see 1/2 Nylocks on the top balljoint after the support has been added.

Alan...

I didnt realise that the bracket needed exstra bracing, have you got any pics? Mine are just standard as they were supplied, spoke to dave today while trying to fit them and he didnt mention anything.

Ive been using spring washers with all nuts, but will change for nylocks if the SVA chaps prefer them.

Phaeton

Staff member
"malcolm"":2ejuei3i said:
I didnt realise that the bracket needed exstra bracing, have you got any pics? Mine are just standard as they were supplied, spoke to dave today while trying to fit them and he didnt mention anything.
I am assuming you are refering to the ones on the top of the suspension leg? If so they need extra bracing as they flex when the handbrake is pulled.
From the top you can see the extra plate welded
Before
After
With Matt's that I have just prepared for SVA I used a bit of 1/2" bar, which seems to have done the job better, his handbrake is far better than mine.

"malcolm"":2ejuei3i said:
Ive been using spring washers with all nuts, but will change for nylocks if the SVA chaps prefer them.
Think it's just on the balljoints for some reason, you need 6v fulls & 2x half height ones. If you have problems getting the 1/2 hight ones let me know & I'll drop a couple in with your arms, think I have some left.

Alan...

esdebe

I braced mine a diffrent way.. Haven got a picy though.

if you stand the bracket on its side one side has a flat edge, the other is shaped. I took a flat sheet of metal and welded it along the flat edge, that also stopped the flexing.. But if you have powder coat you would need to strip it back...

Saying that not all SVA centers are as fussy. I was the first (i know of) to have this issue at the testing centre, and the examiner sugested bracing it. However I was having to pull the handbrake very hard to put it on... but it turns out the reason was I had managed to mix up the leaver arm part of the brake assembly from each side.... With that corrected the handbrake worked better.

Talking hand brakes.. for a while mine only held when moving forwards which was fine going down hill... but would slip going backwards... no good going up hill...... This was resolved when I changed my standard cast rear drums for some aluminium fins... Guessing the drums were past it an any new drums would have resolved it.

malcolm

"Phaeton"":ot1nyxbf said:
Think it's just on the balljoints for some reason, you need 6v fulls & 2x half height ones. If you have problems getting the 1/2 hight ones let me know & I'll drop a couple in with your arms, think I have some left.

Alan...

Hi if you could send me a couple of the half hight ones that would be fantastic, ive got normal ones. I didnt know you could get half hight ones lol

cheers
Malcolm