i do not fit

wizardturner

can any one help me i just got my buggy working it is great fun but i can not get in it im 6ft6 tall and the gear lever is under my left leg and i need some more lenth has any one alteded tha chasies th get it wider and and longer or wot else could i do thanks very much (it is one off the frist ones made) pedals on the floor can i change to top mpount ones too :(

Tonka

steering wheel & gear lever is a bit of a pain for me aswell going to bolt seats directly to floor and put a quick shift gear lever with an offset to miss me leg in 3rd&4th will post if it works out or not

Phaeton

Staff member
"Tonka"":6yqoutew said:
put a quick shift gear lever with an offset to miss me leg in 3rd&4th

Hmalan treid this & it was even worse. What I did on mine & Mattblack's was to seperate the the 2 halves of the stick. There is a bottom bit which goes into the selector which comes up, then is incased in rubber with a longer piece crimped onto it. If you use an angle grinder with a thin blade you can cut this along it's longth & pull the bottom bit out. Then cut off the thread from the top & weld the 2 bit's back together.You can also knock the half moon bit off the bottom & twist it round.

You can see how it kicks over in Matt's here

As to converting to new style pedel box, that's quite a simple task, Dave will sell you the box & then ou just need to get the pedals modified, Dave can sell you these bits as well I think.

As to extending the whole frame, that's down to your skill with a welder & your ambition. Realistically it's quite simple, I would cut the frame where it joins the rear bulkhead & just add whatever length you need. Bearing in mind you will need to move the seatbelt mounts back. The hardest bit I think will be keeping it all straight & true.

Alan...

iank

What seats do you have? Internal fuel tank?
Fitting decent GRP seats instead of padded ones will gain you a couple of valuable inches of legroom, foam and binbag seats even more.

Pendulum pedal box is also a leg room giver (especially for passengers) IIRC

jerry

Hi,

To move the gearstick out of the way of your leg, remove it, place the rounded boss into a vice, and tap out the shaft. Rotate the shaft clockwise (from top)slightly and tap shaft back into the round bush. put the gearstick back back into the car and the gearstick should be rotated around to clear your leg. bit of trial and error to get it just right but easy to do.

Jerry

Danny

Administrator
I wish I had a nice supply of sheet ally like yours,

I need to do something on the center console....very nbice

Danny

nw208

It never ceases to amaze me just how much stuff you lot know!

Be warned, I am going to Stonleigh with a camera and a notebook.

Mini Mad Max

Hi,
I'm building a buggy but now i've seen this don't know if i'll fit. I sat in one once with my brother who's 6'6" to use him as a guide for when i finish growing (im only 13!! lol) and the buggy we sat in, he bearly fit in it! (it had thick seats with alot of space behind them and the lower bulkhead, and had the old style pedal box.) He had the same problems as wizardturner apart from his head stuck out the roof!.
I'm taking my buggy to the contractors soon to get it heightened (as i don't trust myself on the chassis with a welder ! lol) and now wonder if i will need my buggy lengthened. I've got the pendulum pedal box and will put in fibreglass seats. A good thing about making the frame taller means you can have the steering wheel a bit higher up so it's not in the way of you're knees which then stops your left one sit on top of the gear lever. Do you think i will need to lengthen it? Thanks guys.
Max