Land Rover 90

Danny

Administrator
It turns out it was the alternator that was toast so that was ane asy fix and cheap as had one already in my stores..

However....

The crankshaft oil seal let go a couple of weeks ago so I have actually booked that it in to my mates garage as I just don't have a spare moment at the minute and because I think it will be a an absolute bitch of a job

Last edited:

Danny

Administrator
Crank oil seal now fixed :D

Just need to tune the weber a bit as the fast idle is a bit out but other than that she is running great :D

Just been using her to move house dragging a trailer behind and generally doing what she does best :D

Last edited:

Danny

Administrator
the 12mpg on the landy is proving to be something that I need to improve...

So the first thing is binning off the mechanical fan.

I have just spent £241 on a electric fan conversion kit which should help a little even if it is case of getting the engine up to temp quicker....

once that is fitted I have a small exhaust blow which I think I will just replace everything from the manifold back as it really is not that expensive to do and most of it is rotten.

other than that the landy is ace. It has been earning its keep by moving lots of heavy big stuff about the place and in the new year I get a bigger apiary for my bees so will be doing a bit of offroading each week :D

Danny

Administrator
Well, what started as a small job has evolved...

The rad mount did not fit so had to modify it a little to work and eventually got it fitted :D then came the wiring which was a can of worms but I did get it done in the end and all done nicely. But along the way I found that my old glass fuses were a bit shite, so I replaced the 2 fuse boards as well...

Also fixed the locks on 2 out of 3 doors and then fixed a door card that was catching...

The only thing I am waiting for is a spare mechanical fan I can butcher so that I can put the water pump pulley back on.

Danny

Administrator
Confused I thought you now had the most expensive electric fan in there?
I have but the water pump has a pulley on it and there is no way to bolt that to the water pump without having to fabricate something.

So I have bought a spare fan so I can nick the metal middle out of it so I can use that

Danny

Administrator
Well today I put it all back together and I was running the temp up to set up the fan etc... 3 hours later and I could not get the fans to fire in.

I bit of diagnosis and I forgot about an inline fuse I had put in... it had blown the 5 amp when the fan tried to kick in. So I unplugged the fan with another 5 amp fuse in to test the wiring to the fan. I then stuck a 10 amp and blew thaat then 20 amp and blue that and 25 amps is now lasting :D

However...

The exhaust blows like a chip prozzy so I have now ordered a new manifold and complete exhaust system for it :-\

Phaeton

Staff member
What's the wattage of the fan? wattage/12=amps to blow a 20A fuse you need to run it all the time as you might not need to use the engine & the fan will pull you along

Danny

Administrator
What's the wattage of the fan? wattage/12=amps to blow a 20A fuse you need to run it all the time as you might not need to use the engine & the fan will pull you along
Not sure.... this is the kit

ChaosMS

Sounds like your having fun with the fan, though I would be a bit concerned if its blowing a 20 amp fuse!!

Danny

Administrator
Sounds like your having fun with the fan, though I would be a bit concerned if its blowing a 20 amp fuse!!
Its a huge fan.

I put a small fuse in and unplugged the fan and that does not blow when the sensor triggers. So I am happy the wiring is fine. I should imagine it just the initial start up of it that's doing it

Danny

Administrator
Well my exhaust system arrived yesterday :D

Complete system including the manifold!! I would love to do stainless but that was not an option but still £400 :-\ for the normal rot but another 10 years or so willl see me fine

Danny

Administrator
Well Well Well....

A friend popped round and we started stripping the old exhaust out... It was in quite a bad state with holes all over the place and every possible joint was blowing like a cheap night worker.

Thankfully i ordered the new manifold as studs were breaking all over the place. But Rimmer brothers got their facts quite wrong and did not supply or even list gaskets so that set the day up to not be able to finish the project in one day.

Well we got it all stripped bar the down pipe as it appeared that you needed to remove the cross member of the chassis so we started on that.

2 hours passes and 4 snapped bolts later it is off but it unveils 2 holes in each chassis leg where the cross member bolts to the chassis. So I had a choice, I either ignore it and bolt the member back up when the exhaust was fitted on spend the time and plate it up...

The next day I am cutting holes in the chassis and discovered in one leg a nest from a mouse or something so I had to hoover that out before I started welding the plate in. I cut the plate to shape and tacked it in place and started welding. It was a bit smokey at first then I noticed a different part of the chassis was getting hot and yup, the chassis was now on fie internally. After pouring a tonne of water in I managed to control it and all was well. The plate looks ok....

I then cut the other chassis leg and just missed the wring loom that runs through the chassis. I decided to get the new plate cut to shape and ready to weld up when I next get a few hours spare...

Working on my back on the drive is wearing really thin, I really need to get a unit with a ramp sorted but that is moving further away at the moment.

I am hoping friday I will get a chance as I could really do with the landy back on the road as I have bees to move and with the lad allergic to bees the family car is not ideal :D